GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Interest Rates Swaps being mis-sold to SMEs: a layman's guide to a textbook banking rip-off - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest Rates Swaps being mis-sold to SMEs: a layman's guide to a textbook banking rip-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest Rates Swaps being mis-sold to SMEs: a layman's guide to a textbook banking rip-off

At Honestly Banking we wanted to have a look inside the workings of Swaps, Hedging, Caps and Collars and throw some light into this obscure and complicated world. There has been a remarkable amount of media interest around the Swap mis-selling scandal. Inevitably it is hard to capture the real complexities of this involved area without over simplifying matters or getting highly technical.

A brief background: Banks have been selling Interest Rate Derivatives under the guise of ‘risk management’ for many years, firstly to big corporates, then to smaller companies and then when the greed got the better of them to anyone they could. You may think this sounds a lot like the sub-prime mortgages. Back then banks sold mortgages to unsuitable clients. Now they are selling swaps to unsuitable clients. Different product, same motivation – a quick profit.

With lower Interest Rates many people are discovering that they have been sold something that actually increases their risk. Additionally the banks have not been sticking to the rules and have been profiteering at the expense of small businesses and individuals. This is a completely different order of magnitude to PPI mis-selling. Homes, businesses, farms and livelihoods are being lost. Families are being ripped apart. Barclays have tried to gag their clients from even talking to the regulator, the FSA, about it.

Banks have developed this area into a highly profitable multi-million pound industry. It’s so profitable they have set up many regional sales centres to peddle their wares. They are staffed typically by smooth talking ‘risk advisors’ who bamboozle the unsuspecting client into something that will possibly be the worst decision of their lives.

More:

http://www.blog.rippedoffbritons.com...s-sold-to.html

Re: Interest Rates Swaps being mis-sold to SMEs: a layman's guide to a textbook banking rip-off

HSBC offered this to me back in 2007.....I did't fully understand it back then ....but from what I can remember it sounded to good to be true....

I decided to stay as I was paying 1.75% over the base rate......I'm glad I did now.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
    X