GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Car Insurance question.... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Insurance question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance question....

Does anyone know the downside/legalities/ethics of putting myself down as the main driver on my daughter's car insurance policy?

I have been the named additional driver for some years, which brought it down nicely in the beginning but following the recent equality claptrap, her premiums have gone up this year. I rarely go for the straight renewal quote anyway because 9 times out of 10, they're higher than a fresh quote but a fresh quote for this year with me as main driver comes down by a further £150!!

I'm pretty sure her bf arranged his insurance this way but he's not here at the moment to ask....
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Car Insurance question....

As far as I'm aware, this is called "fronting" and is illegal...
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
      As far as I'm aware, this is called "fronting" and is illegal...
      Oh..... b*gger......
      Remember the mantra:

Comment

Car insurance fronting is probably best described as an experienced driver with sufficient no claims bonus who puts themselves on a policy as the main driver when they are not. This enables a new or young inexperienced driver to be a named driver on the same policy who actually in reality own the car and is the main driver. This drastically reduces the premium for the young or inexperienced driver saving them serious amounts of money on their car insurance. Fronting has been happening for many years now but many parents who front their childrens policies are unaware that it is now illegal to do this. This is due to the unrealistic amount of claims made by these younger drivers when the actual risk assessment and premium calculation was evaluated for the parent or more experienced main driver and can have major consequences in the future such as:
        • Refusal of a claim
        • 6 points on your license
        • Charged with driving without insurance and face prosecution
        • Possible refusal of future insurance policies
        As you can see from the points above, fronting a car insurance policy is not a good idea and can cause long term financial and legal heartache.
        Fronting has been such a popular way of reducing premiums because car insurance quotes for young and inexperienced drivers are now commonly between £1500 and £2500! By fronting, this figure can be reduced by so much that in some cases the saving would be enough to buy a new car!
        Maybe look at cars in a lower insurance group ie less than group 6 which will bring down the price of the premium for the young driver.

Comment

On my daughters Insurance I was named driver, and discounts applied, but of course premiums were high to start but cheaper if I had not been named as a driver, soon after few years the cost dropped within reason, so that is the real way to do it, as the other mentioned is a mine field it seems i.e. stating main driver.

Comment

an incident decades ago where a person tried to claim on a policy which Parent was down as main driver and a claim was made on a policy, it came out that the Parent lived elsewhere it seems and the Insurance Company jumped on the claim and threw it out, as fraudulent application in the 1st instance. remember that as the ex was a claims clerk and mentioned the difficulty with that claim at the time.

Comment

Hi, Speak with aviva... I had to go on my sons policy using my NCD as a named driver... after being on there for 2 years the underwriters transferred my NCD to him solely.

Comment

Yes try that as if it brought to their attention as above they may do the same as jen br states.

Comment

Thanks to you all for your input....

I've always been named as an additional driver on her policy; in her own name, since she started driving and she now has 5 years NCB. Being a named driver brought the premiums down nicely even though I was never on there as the main driver..... just as an additional one.

This is the first year when the premium has come up as more expensive with me as an additional driver on there; when I removed my name completely it shot down by around £50.

It seems this will have to do..... and by going through Top Cashback, I'll get around £50 back as well, so it's not all bad.

Remember the mantra:

Comment

Have you considered having a tracker on the vehicle? That can reduce the premiums with certain insurance companies - Assuming the vehicle is driven sensibly.

Comment

Female policy charges went up thru out the Insurance Industry as per EU directive, £30 - 50 per additional qualified driver has been the norm for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy1976 View Post
                        Have you considered having a tracker on the vehicle? That can reduce the premiums with certain insurance companies - Assuming the vehicle is driven sensibly.
                        I could suggest that to her although to be fair, her car insurance is pretty low as it is..... I'm just penny-pinching. The renewal is priced at £460 but I can get it lower as a new quote online.
                        Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                          I could suggest that to her although to be fair, her car insurance is pretty low as it is..... I'm just penny-pinching. The renewal is priced at £460 but I can get it lower as a new quote online.
                          It is worth considering all options as it's such a lot of money to pay out every year. I didn't realize things like the occupation make a huge difference on price. What ever did we do before comparison websites existed?

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy1976 View Post
                            It is worth considering all options as it's such a lot of money to pay out every year. I didn't realize things like the occupation make a huge difference on price. What ever did we do before comparison websites existed?
                            It also seems to make a difference where the car is parked overnight; in a garage is higher than on a driveway. Strange but true.....
                            Remember the mantra:

Comment

This article is from last year, but it might help: Fronting: car insurance costs drive parents to break the law | Money | The Guardian

Comment

Working...
                              X