Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident

Looking for some advice please.

Had a collision with a lorry on Thursday, slow speed no injuries, his fault as far as I'm concerned.
    Exchanged details at the scene and phoned my insurance when I got home.
    The lorry driver is contesting that it was his fault as you would expect, it's his job after all.
    My car got a hefty dent above the drivers side front wheel, plus some scratching to the side by the bumper which I'd obviously like fixed although it's not affecting driving the vehicle.

Now my dilema is that the cars worth less than £1000 and from what I understand if the value of the repairs comes to more than 60% of the value of the car then they will write it off. By tghe time they've taken off the £100 excess I don't think I'd get enough to buy another car.

I could probably do something with the dent myself and although it irks me that my car has been damaged through no fault of my own, I'd rather keep it with a dent than loose it altogether. It's vital I have a car where I live especially for the kids who are of an age where they need to be taken here, there and everywhere and public transport here is rubbish and expensive.

So can I phone the insurance company and cancel the claim so that the car isn't written off ?

Also I'd loose some of my 9 yr NCB if the claim went through, plus maybe they'd hike the next premium so if I cancelled would it be as though I hadn't phoned in the first place ?

Thanks for any help as always

Sorry should have added that there was no damage to the lorry according to the driver at the scene as he couldn't see where he'd hit me, as I pointed out scuffs to his vehicle he said they were already there. So I'm assuming that there's no claim from them, merely that they don't see themselves responsible to pay for the damage to my car.
    Last edited by lookingforward; 7 October 2012, 13:31. Reason: Added bit about the lorries lack of damage

Re: Accident

Sorry but I've no idea.

There are plenty of members who are clued up on cars so maybe you'll get some help later.

Even though there were no injuries, I bet you were shook up. Like you say, the lorry driver's bound to say that it wasn't it fault.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I was a bit, felt strangely tired all day. OK now though and had to laugh when the company who are dealing with the claim (subbed out by my ins co) asked did I have any whiplash injuries.

Comment

Hi,
        Did you call the cops?

How did the accident happen? (trying to determine fault)

Are your NCB protected? If the fault is of the other driver you will not loose your NCB nor will your premiums go up.

If YOUR at fault you will.

Also, take it to a smart repair place if its a dent then you may find it costs 50.00 to sort out or 100.00 to sort out... you dont have to go through insurance you can settle with the driver

smart repair can do wonders.

Comment

Had the same problem with my car, car ran into the back of us, dented bumper, broke glass on number plate light, and bottom panel shifted, the other persons Insurance just said we will give you £500.00 for you as settlement end of matter, no car around (automatic) for that price/condition, as I had rebuilt a lot of the car to the tune of £1,500+ in the last year, the price I have been told by different people is above the guide price due to the condition of the car which surprised engineers, but still will have to dip into empty pocket for another car, so inocent party but out of pocket everytime.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
            Had the same problem with miy car, car ran into the back, dented bumper, broke glass on number plate light, and bottom panel shifted, the other persons Insurance just said we will give you £500.00 for you as settlement end of matter, no car around (automatic) for that price/condition, as I had rebuilt a lot of the car to the tune of £1,500+ in the last year, the price I have been told by different people is above the guide price due to the condition of the car which surprised engineers, but till will have to dip into empty pocket for another car, so inocent party but out of pocket everytime.
            Whenever you run into the back of someone its always your fault...

Comment

Police not needed at non injury RTA's and will tell the parties involved to sort it out between themselves.

Just phone the insurance company and tell them that you want to sort out your own damage, they will not object and just drop it, if you go through the insurance and they write your car off you can keep your car and they will pay you a small sum as well, the car will have to have another MOT regardless of when it was last tested and you will have to arrange with VOSA for a VID (Vehicle Identity Check) to be carried out, other wise you will not get automatic car tax renewals and may have trouble selling your car as DVLA will not issue a new V5 while the VID is still outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                Whenever you run into the back of someone its always your fault...
                Note:- Car ran into the back of us!!

Comment

Hi,
                  Did you call the cops?

Are your NCB protected? If the fault is of the other driver you will not loose your NCB nor will your premiums go up.

Also, take it to a smart repair place if its a dent then you may find it costs 50.00 to sort out or 100.00 to sort out... you dont have to go through insurance you can settle with the driver

There are smaller garages that as stated can do the job a lot cheaper than Insurance companies contacts!

Comment

Hi,
                    Did you call the cops?

Didn't call the cops no.

Basically I approached a junction and the lorry was stationary on the RHS of the road with his hazards on. I'd slowed down anyway for the junction so going maybe 5 mph. My side of the road was clear but as I got about 1/2 way past the lorry he drove off at an angle to join the main road and although I steered to the left as much as I could he hit my car.

He stopped, got out and said "what are you doing, I had my fourways on", I said "exactly, I thought you were parked up". Apparently he'd missed his turn and reversed into the road I was coming down. His reversing lights weren't on so I guess he was in between reverse and 1st to move away when I came along but was so busy checking right to pull out, he didn't look in his left hand mirror, either that or I was in his blind spot. Anyway I left it at that, we excahnged details as I said although he didn't have his ins details on him so I had to phone someone at his office to get them. That man asked what had happened so I told him and he said his driver disagreed so I knew it wasn't going to be straight forward.

My Ins company said on Friday that he reackons I was being impatient and trying to get up his inside. My view is that he was parked and wasn't moving.

With no witnesses I can't see this being resolved one way or the other, plus assuming he's not claiming for any damage, why I think I'd be better off withdrawing the claim if I'm able just to keep my car.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                      Police not needed at non injury RTA's and will tell the parties involved to sort it out between themselves.

Just phone the insurance company and tell them that you want to sort out your own damage, they will not object and just drop it, if you go through the insurance and they write your car off you can keep your car and they will pay you a small sum as well, the car will have to have another MOT regardless of when it was last tested and you will have to arrange with VOSA for a VID (Vehicle Identity Check) to be carried out, other wise you will not get automatic car tax renewals and may have trouble selling your car as DVLA will not issue a new V5 while the VID is still outstanding.
                      If I can do that then I will. Don't think it's worth going down the write off route as any money I'd get would be lost amongst the hassle and increased premiums.

Am I correct that if I cancel the claim my NCB and next years premium will be unaffected, the NCB I would think will be OK but is it too late re the premiums because they've got it on record ?

Just got to hope that the lorry drivers company haven't seen this as a good excuse to claim for the scuffs that were already there according to the driver. If they've got a claim in then I can't drop it because I'd have to fork out for them myself.

Comment

There are smaller garages that as stated can do the job a lot cheaper than Insurance companies contacts!

If I can drop the claim then I'll have a look at getting it fixed somewhere cheaper, albeit that'll be further down the line because of money, however it's still driveable that;s the main thing. MOT is due in Nov, but I don't think they can fail you for a dent.

Comment

Your NCB is only bothered when you go through with the claim1

You will be fine.. Can you take a photo of the damage my husband works for a garage he will given you indication if it will fail

as long as its a dent and not sharp edges you *should* be fine!

Comment

Note:- Car ran into the back of us!!
                            No I know, I was just stating that cars who run into the back of others are always at fault.. I remember being part of a 10 car bumper accident thank god i wasn't the one at the back haha.

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
                              If I can drop the claim then I'll have a look at getting it fixed somewhere cheaper, albeit that'll be further down the line because of money, however it's still driveable that;s the main thing. MOT is due in Nov, but I don't think they can fail you for a dent.
                              No they won't fail for a dent as long as there are no sharp edges etc,(ex MOT tester) your NCD should not be affected as long as the company does not contest your story and tries to claim from your insurance company alleging it was your fault, ring the insurance company and ask if they have had a claim come from the company or their insurers, if not then just drop the claim yourself even though the insurance company are aware just in case.
                              Last edited by vossy; 7 October 2012, 14:12.

Comment

Working...
                              X