GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help for my friend - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for my friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for my friend

I hope this is the right place.

My friends brother in law died two years ago now I think, and apparently her sister received a letter today from a "solicitor" asking her to settle the outstanding amount of a credit card in his name.

Firstly can they do this seeing as the card was solely in his name and he is now decseased?

My friend is going to get me a copy of the letter so I can scan in and then hopefully someone can help me with this.

Won't be till friday as I am not around tomorrow,

Just so upsetting for my friends sister... not what she really needs eh

Re: Help for my friend

I bet the word used loo is 'can' request. They 'can' so they will ask for it, whether the law says they have to pay it, see what the boss man says.

I would put money on the outcome being in favour of your friends sister. Very scary for her, I know I would have been pre 'fall on ass'

Comment

That is awful sunnylooloo, your friend does not need this either.

I didn't think they could do this, if this was just in his name alone, but do you know if there was any life cover on the card at all?

Comment

Thanks girls.

When I see the letter Miche we can see how it is worded.

Not sure about life cover Di - will check.

They really scrape the barrel eh? going after the Widow - the bank is Citibank but from her brief text it looks like it has been sold to a DCA............

Comment

Hi Loo

I'm sure there was something about this on TV recently. I think if there was estate left over, they can ask for it to be paid but if there was no estate they can go swivel.
          alternatively, she could just tell em to go swivel as I don't think you can take a someone to court if they aren't around.....

Comment

I'm not sure of the estate as obv the house would've been in joint names and he has 3 children, and not sure how much she got from insurances - not huge amounts I don't think.

is it a bit weird that they are bringing it up over a year after he died?

I think the debt has been sold on and it's a DCA chancing their arm - but I guess once i see the letter it will become clearer.

thanks so far for all your words of advice

xx

Comment

As far as I am aware, the house would not count as part of the estate given his wife and children are living there. If he had been a sole tenant and the property was to be sold - that would be different.

I would agree that the DCA is playing a dangerous game in chasing the debt.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Oscar

as i said once i get the letter and see what "so called" solicitor it is from we can look into it for her

really really appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylooloo
                  Thanks Oscar

as i said once i get the letter and see what "so called" solicitor it is from we can look into it for her

really really appreciate the help.
                  Hmmm, as previously advised it all depends on the estate and what was left and to whom. Usually upon death all debts come out of the proceeds of the estate - so if no cash was left then the lender can fook orf, if there was then the widow should be explaining this - however its also worth her ignoring the lender cos they really can't do much to her in fairness. But a quick chat with citizens advice will clear things up

An internet forum is not the best place for this advice, i'd start with CAB k
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ah ok Nid - thanks just didn't really know where to ask?

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Working...
                      X