GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Hi Handy,

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Its actually official, a bloke needs a shed to stay in good health. there was a big article about it on the Yahoo! news stuff about three weeks ago.

I did spend a large part of my working life in the plasma physics industry designing equipment to directly or indirectly kill my fellow man with ever increasing efficiency, however now I spend my time designing and making things as Pompey says that give enjoyment and pleasure to others, perhaps bringing a smile to people's faces young and old alike. I exhibit a railway built to a large scale (to give an idea the figures stand 5 1/4" (134mm) high which is based around a mine extracting honeycomb toffee from the ground. Total figment of my imagination LOL.

I also design and build live steamers at this scale based on little quirky narrow gauge stuff usually gas fired but with a coal fired jobby on the drawing board (CAD) at the moment.

The mods have seen these things before but here are a couple of pictures of my workshop and of the battery run stuff on the railway.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well done Garlok, you possess a talent in your engineering skills that is fast becoming rarity in our modern world, I am very impressed, and more than a little envious of your well organised workshop...

Comment

Thanks alland. I just wished that I was able to pass on more as we will regret it as a nation. Back in the early eighties when I was first engaged in Computer Aided Design, I was told by the first tutor I had that unless you were a designer on the drawing board then CAD would not make you any better inf act it would probably worsen your output. I know for a fact that much even now starts life as scribbles on paper and sketches.

We had the world's best training methods here in the UK via the National Certificate route, which gave at least honours degree level academically and about 7 years of hard experience to go with it. Monty Finiston threw it all away.

Now we have Mickey Mouse paper degrees from what were technical colleges, cheating examiners to give better results (WJEC investigation) and people who have lost the will to work hard and enjoy the pleasure of creating something from scratch.

Its my little crusade in life I'm afraid.

regards
        Garlok

Comment

WOW, what a workshop Garlock. Now that's something to aspire to. You will all have to wait for pictures of mine when it's done, which will be some months from now. At the moment I keep the door tightly locked and bolted because I an so embarrassed about the mess. One of the problems I have is all the furniture we have stored waiting for family members who say they want a thing but never come to collect.

Because I have tools to cover most trades, Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Woodworking the amount of storage space I need is another problem. At the moment I can spend an hour or more searching for the right tool or component to do a five minute job.

Who knows if this mild weather holds, the project may start sooner than later.

Regards to you all, Handy
          Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
          Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

I have to try and keep the door shut to keep Mrs G out

She has the habit of wandering in to tell me tea is on the brew and picking something up, "Oh when did you buy this then?"

"Ahem, Ahem, probably ages ago now haven't you seen it before?"

l l

regards
            Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
              I have to try and keep the door shut to keep Mrs G out

She has the habit of wandering in to tell me tea is on the brew and picking something up, "Oh when did you buy this then?"

"Ahem, Ahem, probably ages ago now haven't you seen it before?"

l l

regards
              Garlok
              It's a man thing.

Been there done that. My last similar purchase was a Microscope with a webcam attachment so I can view the slides on the laptop as well as take photographs. Comes in handy for identifying garden pests.

Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

Sending you big hugs Handy and happy new year from me
                "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

To all my All About Friends, Happy New Year.
                  Although at New Year we tend to look back and remember the things that have gone before us, New Year should be the time for New Beginnings and the time to look forward, not with trepidation but to the new adventures that life will throw at us during 2012.

So my friends, lets raise a virtual glass to the New Year and New Adventures in Life.

Regards to you all.

Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Another Fantasy Blown

No all joking apart there is some real skill and dedication that goes into producing some of these models

LINKBuffers Model Railways Shop, James May's Kind Of Model Shop Not plugging them but I have spent several hours at this place looking at some of the displays.

Only about another 4 or 5 years and then I will start putting a Train set together for GS. At the moment although he would enjoy it he's too young to appreciate one properly.

Regards, Handy
                    So now we know you live in Devon Handy .....

Argh lucky you ...

I have been awol for a few days (though on MSE ranting) with snooty (more like snotty) cow stress. Of course it doesn't help that Ma panics cos I'm ten minutes late home last Thursday when travelling back cos I wanted to go to Mr. S for milk

Ma's panics are something I could do without...and she sent me a text @ 11am saying she didn't know what time she'd be up this am...charming. Still means I have to text before 9.30am otherwise I get rudely awoken with a phone call. Might switch the stupid phone off but then I'll get her crying on the voicemail. Just for not texting her before 9.30am? Argh . Like 'hello' am I never allowed a lie in? Probably not...not even at weekends...Yet different rule for her..

And Old codger in Edinburgh hassled me about how long I'd be on the e-cig for last night then (and he's supposed to be reformed and a christian...hmmm) when I said Sabbath auto corrected me saying it was Sunday. He hates the calvinists with a passion yet doesn't realise (or it hasn't entered his brain cells) how much he offends and distresses me when he has a go at them. Of course I tell all my calvinist friends cos it upsets me so much but still - that doesn't help his bookshop business (at over 80 years of age and in failing health I think he should retire but still. He never went looking for a young 'un to replace him and his office is like stepping back in time : but still. No pc..he's too paranoid to have a pc - wouldn't know how to work one. Everything still typed out on a noisy typewriter)...

So I hung up...he has to have the last word anyways. I was just giving him a courtesy call anyways.

SC

Comment

Hi all, if your wondering why I haven't posted here for a while well nothing much has been happening. Well yes and no. I have reasons why I go a bit silent at this time of year and I will explain later. I hope all my mates are well and settling into the New Year well.

SC your wrong about my living in Devon. I am just on the edge of the 3 counties. Devon is 20 minutes away, Somerset the same. It won't take a great stretch of the imagination to work out the rest.

So for now, Regards to all. Handy

Comment

SC your wrong about my living in Devon. I am just on the edge of the 3 counties. Devon is 20 minutes away, Somerset the same. It won't take a great stretch of the imagination to work out the rest.

So for now, Regards to all. Handy
                        Sussed you Handy - you live on a boat out at sea!

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                          Sussed you Handy - you live on a boat out at sea!
                          You got me BBoo, it's quite a famous one moored in Portland Harbour

Click image for larger version

Name:	hmp_weare300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1385138
                          HMP Weare

Once a year I get let out for good behaviour
                          I'ts a long swim to shore.

Regards, Handy

Comment

I think I have found Handy (yes I'm tired and you can't beat a good bit of phishing when you're tired)....

Yay....of course eye tell NO ONE...

Not even on here...

So I reckon you live up a tree with the hippies

SC

Comment

Originally posted by Strawberry_Cupcake View Post
                              I think I have found Handy (yes I'm tired and you can't beat a good bit of phishing when you're tired)....

Yay....of course eye tell NO ONE...

Not even on here...

So I reckon you live up a tree with the hippies

SC
                              No and I'm not a tree hugger either, unless you count when I'm holding on with one hand while using a chainsaw with the other.

Phish away and I will tell you whether your getting hot or not.

Comment

Once a year I get let out for good behaviour
                                Is that the only time you behave well?

Comment

Working...
                                X