GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt
    you're wasted here mate - want a side job as Niddy's chemist
    Pah! I was just what I'd recalled from A level Alchemy.

Comment

CC's Bedtime Prayer

Double, double toil and trouble;
      Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
      Fillet of a fenny snake,
      In the caldron boil and bake;
      Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
      Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
      Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
      Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
      For a charm of powerful trouble,
      Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
      Double, double toil and trouble;
      Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Comment

I'm just glad I'm not a DCA on Clever's list .

Mine must have been a poor School cos I don't remember doing weed at A level, same as I don't remember doing microdots and Shrooms

Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Mine must have been a poor School cos I don't remember doing weed at A level, same as I don't remember doing microdots and Shrooms

Didnt do weed in my school although there was one boy i saw regularly rolling one up during double science, if thats close enough lol.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

were you at my school? :niddy
            I went to an East London school, says it all!
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

were you at my school? :niddy
              Had it been "Approved"?

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                Didnt do weed in my school although there was one boy i saw regularly rolling one up during double science, if thats close enough lol.
                At the school to which I was sent, having 'passed' the 11+ exam and to prevent me becoming too clever, the School Rules expressly forbade the smoking of cigarettes.

Fatta la lege, trovato l'inganno, as one might say.

One lad took to smoking a briar pipe, but I preferred the less antisocial habit of taking snuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post

Fatta la lege, trovato l'inganno, as one might say.
                  Being a keen student you obviously read the school rules. I tended to find it was often best to plead, l'ignoranza è la felicità!

Comment

My School Days were a bit like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schooldays 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1385448

Anarchistic ME, never.

Rules are for the Blind Obedience of Fools and the Guidance of Wise Men.
                    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

No Honestly. My School Day's were pretty good and most of the time I did keep my nose clean and my head down.

Exceptions were Mr King the history teacher and my House master.
                      These day's teachers of his sort are not tolerated. He was an out and out Sadist. His way of getting attention was to grab your sideburns and twist. If you didn't play in his Rugger Team or ring Handbells (his team was known as Kingy's Clangers).

When he organised a team to ring the bells at the local church for the school Christmas Carol service. I got the job of opening the Belfry for them as I was a regular member of the church bell team.

When his lot left and I was locking up (BTW I would have been about 14) I noticed that 2 of our set of 8 hand bells had gone missing.

The subsequent investigation forced him to hand back the missing bells which had been removed by accident

My reward was to be sent to a store cupboard to collect some books, then I was hit between the shoulders with a metal tube.

Other things followed like being moved to the slow stream and my parents were told that I was only fit for vocational education.

They had to fight for me to even be allowed to do my CSE's even though I had been in the top 5 in my year for the previous 2 years.

I got my own back. As I was in the photographic society, I always carried my trusty old 35mm Halina in my briefcase.

one day when King was doing the history of WW2 He was wearing a Gas Mask (I think he liked that sort of thing), an ARP Wardens tin hat and on the blackboard was drawn a map of the south coast and France complete with Union Jacks and Swastikas. When he raised his arm to point at the Blackboard (looked like a Nazi salute) Handy was ready.

The picture was later published in the school year book. He was not happy (the Arts Master who edited the year book liked him less than me).

As a postscript King used to drive a yellow Reliant Robin, on the day my group were due to leave School, Meacher the School Bully took a sledge hammer to it.

Needless to say Meacher had a long and distinguished career, the last time I heard he was doing a 12 stretch in Parkhurst.

Regards all, Handy

Comment

My School Days were a bit like this.

[ATTACH]3259[/ATTACH]

Anarchistic ME, never.

Rules are for the Blind Obedience of Fools and the Guidance of Wise Men.
                        awesome - love it
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Answer above
                          It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

Comment

Well while I'm on about my School days, and yes your right when Handy started School we had slates and chalk, ink wells and scratchy nib pens.

But those of a certain age will remember we never cheeked (is the modern term Dissed) our teachers of gave them back chat.

Well if we did it was given more subtly and with more wit than you will get from the majority of youngsters these days.

I remember my Physics and Biology teacher Mr Kinsey. Now the poor chap was vertically challenged, 4 feet 11 inches in his shoes.

The only pupil shorter in my year was Noddy Noyland.

One day Kinsey caught us having a crafty fag behind the groundsman's hut. JPS were just being introduced.

Kinsey said to Noddy "Noyland Smoking will stunt your growth" Quick as a flash Noddy asked "How many cigarettes a day do you smoke sir."

In later years I have felt sorry for Mr Kinsey. They should not have given a bachelor the job of teaching Sex Education.

At one point we were given some Gestetner'd pages (remember them anyone?) that showed a naked man and woman. The woman had one arm covering her breasts and the other hand well it was strategically placed to cover the lady bits.

From the back of the class Jenny Hiball put her hand up. Now even at this tender age, Jenny knew men in the biblical sense, most of the 5th form and a good few of the upper 6th.

"Sir" she said, "if the man needs to enter the woman to do that, how does he do it if her hands in the way".

like I said I felt sorry for him.

Now I have mentioned my old Maths master before. Billy Buck still insisted on wearing his cap and gown to lessons. Even with his half moon glasses he could hit you between the eyes with a blackboard rubber from 20 feet away.

Now I will admit maths was not handy's strongest subject.
                            One day when we were doing equations and knowing my military aspirations, Billy Buck posed me this question.

Handy If you used an equation you could tell how many Army Lorries had passed a point in a certain lenght of time by the use of an equation.

"It doesn't work like that sir" I said, "My CO would send me out to count them."

"But if you used an equation, you wouldn't need to stand there counting them," he said "you would already know."

"Sorry sir It doesn't work like that, unless you can factor in the variables." "For instance Mechanical failure, Road and Weather conditions, Enemy Action."

Now when our School had been a Grammar School Billy also taught Latin so I went on to ask, "could you tell me how I would factor in Murphy's Law."

"Murphy's Law" he said wondering what I was getting at.
                            "Yes sir Stercus accidit" I said. Shit Happens

He then taught me the meaning of semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat.

Nothing has changed since.

Regards, Handy

Comment

Yep, I remember Gestetner copies - and the smell they had (I think they were Gestetner) and we also had teachers who wore their gowns (but not caps) in school.

Our Headmistress (when you could call them that instead of Headteacher) was like a bird of doom swooping down the corridors, gown billowing out behind her.
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                                Our Headmistress (when you could call them that instead of Headteacher) was like a bird of doom swooping down the corridors, gown billowing out behind her.

You know something like that could put you off education for life.
                                If there were teachers like that today, the pupils would be looking for Harry Potter

Comment

Working...
                                X