GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Discworld Terry Pratchet ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discworld Terry Pratchet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discworld Terry Pratchet ?

Been looking around for new authors to read in my spare time ( what spare time?) under orders from Mrs G. Used to read sterner stuff like John Le Carre and Anthony Price or non fiction but have just picked the first Discworld novel. Has any body got any comment (besides me being a nutcase please) or does ANYBODY read this author?

regards
    G

Re: Discworld Terry Pratchet ?

Yep, read just about all of his books. If you have a sense of humour that embraces the slightly absurd and enjoy clever wordplay, you'll probably enjoy his work.

Most people have favourites, I like 'Mort' - where death takes some time off and hires an apprentice to do his reaping. The wee free men (characters in later books) are quite fun too...

Comment

love anything by terry pratchett, he's fantastic, i like all of them, and love the new long earth and awaiting the long was with interest

Comment

Don't like Terry Pratchett myself, although I can appreciate his work, he is really not my cup of tea.

However, my son likes that sort of stuff - fantasy with a comic twist. I know he also reads Tom Holt and Robert Rankin (I used to buy them for him as presents, in his pre-Kindle days), so they may be worth a try. I think the titles Robert Rankin uses are hilarious - "The Sprouts of Wrath" and "Waiting for Godalming" I think are oarticularly funny.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I must admit I haven't read any Terry Pratchett for quite a while but I do enjoy them. I think you need to have a certain sense of humour to appreciate him.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks very much Guys. I will get further into the Colour of Magic and see how it goes. I just did not get on with Dan Brown having studied a lot of the non-fiction material from which he plagiarised most of his novels and one of his books still sits on my shelf with only one chapter read. Thanks Phoenix for the other authors. I will look out for their books. When I get taken along to a local market (one of the old fashioned outdoor sorts) there is a huge bookstall which Mrs G uses a lot. Pretty much all paperbacks of all sorts.however you £2 for a book, when you have read it you can take it back, get a £1 refund which goes towards another book or take the cash. They organise all their stuff by author so it is made easier to look something out.

Thanks again
            regards
            G

Comment

Used to like them very much, but in recent years I think the discworld ones have been disappointing. Still a lot of very good older ones to go through, and offshoots etc.

Whether it suits your humour/preferences is another matter. Especially discworld is not quite like anything else.

Good Omens written with Neil Gaimen is an excellent stand alone non discworld book if you want to test the water.

Comment

garlok: Do you have any other preferences for books? Maybe we can suggest some other options?

Comment

Have read all his books and love them, they take the mick out of modern day items with a twist, of course I do like the NIGHTWATCH with Vimes, there have been a couple of discworld novels turned into TV films/ DVDs the colour of magic with David Jason as rincewind a wizard (useless one ) who takes an american tourist and his luggage (large trunk on legs) off to see the sights, & the Hog Father, where Santa is kidnapped and Death takes his place,also starring The Tooth fairy, the God of All Hangovers, and the Hair loss fairy (small imp with a lawnmower)
                  so many to recommend, so little time to do it in.
                  I should also point out that his books were at one time the top of the most shoplifted list. enjoyxx

PS he has been diagnosed with Altzhimers (can't remember how to spell it)

Comment

From the couple of chapters of I have read some of the names crack me up as well like Rincewind and Inn Sewer Rats and that un-pronounceable word beginning with P (I quote). Very Apt.

Hi Riz thanks. I used to follow conspiracy theory very closely and incorporated with that since a small boy the excitement of the Dead Sea Scrolls. However Dan Brown as I said spoiled that a bit. So much information from the Scrolls has been suppressed by politico's for various reasons most if not all the books written have become wearisome catalogues of fragment C5 from scroll 10 fold 99 and the inflection on the scribes pen in the Greek letter epsilon type stuff. Did he dip his pen in the inkwell whilst forming this letter? Never getting to the real meaty stuff. Like I said followed Le Carre, Anthony Price even von Daniken having all their books and have read most of them more than once. Thought about reading stuff like "A Very British Coup"

I suppose I am looking for something lighter these days that I can pick up and put down (age brings on a reduced attention span LOL) hence trying out Pratchett.

regards
                    G

Comment

Pratchett is quite intelligent, he's a master of the old political parody and it's a hoot in the discworld books

if you like a conspiracy theory try the Jasper Fforde stuff and the real hardcore (and very technical) Charles Stross laundrey series
                      Last edited by MrsD; 11 August 2013, 17:38. Reason: crap spelling, wrong fingers on

Comment

By the way in my previous post I said "Inn Sewer Rats". On the second mention of "Inn Sewer Ants" there is a misprint in my copy giving the quote I made. I thought that it was a real hoot and oh so apt.

regards
                        G

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                          Don't like Terry Pratchett myself, although I can appreciate his work, he is really not my cup of tea.

However, my son likes that sort of stuff - fantasy with a comic twist. I know he also reads Tom Holt and Robert Rankin (I used to buy them for him as presents, in his pre-Kindle days), so they may be worth a try. I think the titles Robert Rankin uses are hilarious - "The Sprouts of Wrath" and "Waiting for Godalming" I think are oarticularly funny.
                          Read some of them. Very good. Armageddon the musical, Barry the time sprout etc

Comment

there are sokme great Discworld books by Pratchett. This was a favourite of mine.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ama...ucated_Rodents

Comment

Working...
                            X