GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Contactless Technology - is it safe? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contactless Technology - is it safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contactless Technology - is it safe?

I know this is the US but are we any safer? I have this on my Barclay debit card.

Contactless Tech

Re: Contactless Technology - is it safe?

It's only available for transactions up to £20, but evenso .............??

I've had the facility for quite a while now but never used it until a few weeks ago in M&S where I discovered their terminals will only let the sale go through using contactless if its enabled on your card. No option to over-ride and use PIN!

Comment

Whether its safe or not is not my main concern.

My main concern is making the public used to using a cashless based credit system.

I dred to think of a future where we are simply given credits and use credits to pay for things, bye bye cash, bye bye being able to retrain privacy with how much you have, and bye bye the ability to use cash to survive should the banking system collapse.

Can you imagine another Natwest senario but global? well thats what could happen under a credit based payment system.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The scope for a contactless monetary system is endless, ultimately everyone is implanted with a chip at birth and that holds all the info ever required and is loaded with money credits as and when you earn it, pass your hand over a scanner to pay for stuff/open - start your car, your house, anything is possible - scary eh?

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
          The scope for a contactless monetary system is endless, ultimately everyone is implanted with a chip at birth and that holds all the info ever required and is loaded with money credits as and when you earn it, pass your hand over a scanner to pay for stuff/open - start your car, your house, anything is possible - scary eh?
          RFID its already here mate.

Even some stupid americans are trialing it in the human body.

Id go on about what you could do with that tech but i think id run out of space lol
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            RFID its already here mate.

Even some stupid americans are trialing it in the human body.

Id go on about what you could do with that tech but i think id run out of space lol
            I have seen some university trials with it here too, sadly it may come to the point when we have no choice in the matter, thankfully I will be pushing up daisy's by then and kicking MP's arses around hell

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
              I know this is the US but are we any safer? I have this on my Barclay debit card.

Contactless Tech

'Electronic pickpockets' targeting contactless credit and debit card holders with smartphones - allaboutFORUMS

Barclays 'contactless' cards exposed to fraud

Barclays bank is facing the prospects of official fines after it emerged that more than 13 million customers have been exposed to potential fraud..... Barclays 'contactless' cards exposed to fraud - Telegraph
              Last edited by 5corpio; 14 December 2012, 17:49.

Comment

True, true, true.

Contactless cards have been around since 1993/4 on a commercial basis. They were called electronic purses and could hold several cards, bus and train tickets etc. Barclaycard were not even thinking about them then.

Losing a card is like losing your wallet, but as long as you could contact the provide you should only lose what was stolen between losing and stopping. The Oyster card in London works on this basis. The low amount of cash available limits the exposure unless the thief wants to buy loads of sandwiches and soft drinks. However, as it becomes more widely used with higher credit limits it will be potentially more of a target.

The technology relies on it being activated, and if you never activate the facility then you cannot use it. Having the app on an iPhone means that the details of you bank card is available to the thief/finder along with access to long distance calls.

The Smartcard technology does have holes as it was created by a human. The thief searches out the holes and clones, grabs details using sophisticated electronic capture etc and robs you as if it were a leather wallet filled with cash.

You can only be frightened if you have something to fear. I don't really care as I don't have any money to lose, and I'll be dead before the implants come along.

Comment

I think my main issue is with any contactless devices, you can be tracked without knowing, since the whole idea is based around no contact it would be easy to track a user simply passing a terminal. I know the old if you have nothing to hide line, but thats not the point, personally its about freedom of movement and privacy.

luckly though, they cant transmit very far as it stands and a simple tin foil lined wallet stops any of that.

Comment

Now that the twitching curtains have been replaced by plantation shutters we are caught by technology whether we want to or not.

There are so many ways of tracking where you are. Sometimes it works in your favour to prove you were not where they think you were.

London Transport has now introduced a facility to use a credit/debit card to pay instead of Oyster. There are cameras on every street, and the cameras on the roads track your car. Your IP address is tracked by many means when you are on-line and all the content of your PC can be regurgitated if required. All of these facilities can be used to track you.

Be careful with the degaussing!

Comment

I have used this system with my american and Canadian accounts for a very long time and not had an issue

Is it safe no safer than dropping 20.00 on the floor and trying to get it back.

Comment

Working...
                      X