GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Elderly hit by energy bill overpayment 'trap' - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderly hit by energy bill overpayment 'trap'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly hit by energy bill overpayment 'trap'

Elderly hit by energy bill overpayment 'trap'

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 26th October 2015 09:19
    Anyone who has switched energy supplier urged check whether they are still paying towards a debt that has been cleared

Elderly people are at risk of overpaying on their energy bills when they switch suppliers because power companies are failing to explain that customers must tell their banks to stop sending money. The over-65s are being urged to check their bank statements after the energy ombudsman estimated that hundreds of thousands had suffered incorrect charges, poor service or other problems without complaining to their provider. Issues with switching may become more common after power firms warned that a prolonged cold snap this winter could see prices double and prompt millions to shop around.

Families are being asked to help elderly parents and relatives find cheaper deals because nine in 10 failed switched account last year, missing out on hundreds of pounds in savings. Now it has emerged that pensioners are being hit by a little-known payment trap when they move to a new provider. The problem occurs shortly after households are sent final tally of how much energy they used. If the total was more than the amount the firm had estimated, there is bill settle......Read more here

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.
Working...
X