GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Now - HMV - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now - HMV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now - HMV

HMV boss 'confident' chain will survive as private equity eyes rescue
    The boss of sticken music retailer HMV, which collapsed into administration on Monday, said he was sure the "well-loved brand" would avoid total closure.

HMV boss 'confident' chain will survive as private equity eyes rescue - Telegraph

Saying that they won't honour gift vouchers though!

Re: Now - HMV

a friend of my hubbys said this was coming, HMV borrowed 20 mil and the loan was due Jan 1st . Not sure if this is the case but looks that way lol

Comment

There isn!t anybody else is there? proves how the competition commission has been a failure over the years allowing commercial to buy companies only to run them down for assets etc?

Who Next = Oxfam?
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry but HMV brought this on themselves consistently pricing themselves out of the market with their music and basically having this "we are better than thou" attitude. I say support your local music shops.

and the stupid people on ebay selling gift vouchers and the stupid-er people on ebay buying them... *face palm*

Comment

My moneys on Argos......
          ------------------------------
          WINJAS
          Pyrotechnical Guru
          (yup blowing shit up)

Comment

B&Q
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

HMV backtracks over refusal to accept gift vouchers

Troubled retailer's administrators say they will begin honouring customers' cards and vouchers from Tuesday

HMV backtracks over refusal to accept gift vouchers | Business | guardian.co.uk
              "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                Should think so too, they were selling them knowing that they were in shit creek!

Comment

Originally posted by winjas View Post
                  My moneys on Argos......
                  Looks like they are doing a little better than expected. The whole voucher thing was a fiasco but in truth I've been wary of buying vouchers for a number of years. Discount vouchers for places like Argos or other high street stores are no problem and easily had from sites like this - but trading cash for a piece of paper that is only valid in one store has always left a bad taste in my mouth. Bit like Disney Dollars if you ask me. Mickey Mouse money!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25755898
                  Last edited by charlesm; 21 January 2014, 16:21.

Comment

When i had a record shop some years ago, we used to sell underground UK Garage, House, D & B etc etc. HMV's head record buyer, used to come down every week, be all friendly with the staff, ask what was new and what was selling well, check out prices out, then go away, order the same records and under cut us by 50%.

I had to drum in to the staff that in no way were they to give any information to him.

When i used to visit the suppliers, id see HMV's credit account book, they had a 30 day payment terms, when us, and other shops, had 7. They were clearly selling the records at a loss just to grab footfall, as i know for a fact, the prices they sold them at, were only if most, 10p more than at cost.

It used to make me so angry, we were no competition for them, as we did not sell anything close to the majority of their items in store. Why they felt the need to fuck us over i dont know.

Trouble is, HMV cant and wont compete with online sales, like amazon and ebay, they done theirselves over by focusing on retail sales that just wont cut it at todays standards.

Comment

Working...
                    X