GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What does this actually mean for UE? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does this actually mean for UE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this actually mean for UE?

Hi all

came across this link on MSE.

What does it really mean for UE debt:
    http://paulatwatsonssolicitors.wordp...t-arose-today/

HB

Re: What does this actually mean for UE?

Originally posted by happy_bunny View Post
    Hi all

HB
    Exactly what it says on the tin.

There is no one size fits all approach to this type of issue, whats right for one is not right for the other.

Comment

That's an easy question to answer

It means that even if the creditor fully complies with a s.78 request the account can still be unenforceable in court if the original agreement was not properly executed in the first place

Or to put it another way: there's more than one way to skin a cat

Comment

Here's an example of what Paul meant based on a true story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17670803

Comment

Hi all

HB
          I'd be careful about looking for SERIOUS advice on MSE.

I used to post on there a lot, and there was a pro-bank/creditor attitude on there even then. I don't mind that, however consumers were not being told correct information on what their LEGAL rights and remedies were if they were not in the favour of the banks, and instead debtors were dealt with as 'dirty debt dodgers'.

Since Martin Lewis sold out that attitude has got even worse, to the point where the MSE debt forums are nothing more than an extension of the debt advice given by StepChange, which, while suitable for some, is also not suitable for many (20 year DMP - I don't think so!).

So blogs like the one made by Paul above, are given as examples of why UE should not be used. Instead there is no thought given to the fact that UE can be a complex and individual process, which is why creditors don't like to take things to court, and when they do, as Paul demonstrates, they can be just as likely to fail.

Best
          SnV
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi all

HB
            Thats Paul's blog - it's in his signature link. Read it. Interesting

Paul tells it as it is. No two cases are the same & each case works with its own merits.

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, wasn't looking for serious advice, was helping someone...

I know where to come for serious advice about this stuff

basically, someone referred to the post as evidence that even without a signed agreement, pre 2007, the creditor could still GEt a CCJ.

I also knew it was from Paul on here.

Thanks folks

HB

Comment

Well, amongst other things Paul is warning in that blog entry that a court could well do that if the bank provides sufficient evidence to convince the court that on the balance of probability an agreement was signed.

In others words, the bank simply turning up without an original agreement would not always be enough to win the day on it's own.

In that case in order to turn the tables back on the bank it would not be enough to say "no agreement in court means it's unenforceable guv", but that you would have to put forward a considered and positive argument to refute the banks assertions and/or explain why what they provided if anything is not a fair/accurate recon.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                X