GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script HELP! disabled with so much debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! disabled with so much debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP! disabled with so much debt

Do I put cheque for a £1 in or a postal order?

Comment

postal order is better

Jilly you need to think about stopping paying if you are going to look at UE, that it is the only way to get rid of these leeches with UE.

If you can't consider stopping paying, then we need to look at some other way of dealing, a self administered DMP for instance which we can help setting up for you but you need to administer yourself.

or we can try to get them written off but it is never the easy option.

I'll ask Elsa to look in

Comment

Well I haven't paid last month so won't pay again till I get a reply from them.

Comment

Originally posted by jillyiant View Post
          Got this feeling that if I did that the way my luck is going i would end up in court.
          It doesn't always end up in court.... I have never had any court papers at all. Just take things step by step and you'll be fine.

:-)
          Remember the mantra:
          NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
          Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
          Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

OK but wait and see what comes back before you do anything

can you tell us how much you're paying to them?

I still haven't some of mine back, and I asked for them in July 2010...................

Comment

Got this feeling that if I did that the way my luck is going i would end up in court.
              That is EXTREMELY unlikely. For a start, the vermin you are dealing with are not known to be litigious. It is always possible, of course, that the alleged debt will be sold on to someone slightly more dangerous, but you cross that bridge when you come to it.

The most important factor, though, is the one I mentioned before. It would be insanity on their behalf to pay a significant sum of money to take you to court when there is little to be gained even if they win. In your situation, it is likely that a judge would award £1 a month, so how many months is it going to take for the claimant to recover their expenses, never mind begin to see a positive return in the repayment of the alleged debt?

Sorry, but you are being emotional here, and not dealing rationally with the situation in front of you.

SH

Comment

Can I just ask if you have assets? House, car etc?

If you are never going to be in a position to pay these off now, then I would agree that stopping payments might be the way to go. At present you may be just throwing good money after bad.

However, that might then result is hassle from creditors, debt collectors etc that, no offence meant, I do get the impression that you are not best placed to handle that?

If not, then have you considered something like a Debt Relief Order?
                Last edited by Riz; 20 May 2013, 20:05.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                  Can I just ask if you have assets? House, car etc?

If you are never going to be in a position to pay these off now, then I would agree that stopping payments might be the way to go. At present you may be just throwing good money after bad.

However, that might then result is hassle from creditors, debt collectors etc that, no offence meant, I do get the impression that you are not best placed to handle that?

If not, then have you considered something like a Debt Relief Order?
                  This is why I said get a GP letter off to them as it goes someway in putting them on the backfoot also it needn't be detailed just outlining your medical conditions.

Comment

Alternatively I'd look at requesting debt write off based on likelihood of gaining any success for recovery.

It's another alternative. Lenders must treat you differently as disabled; and rightly so. By that I mean once you notify them of your disability they are bound to treating your properly and that means not ringing 100's of times a day and not sending silly doorstep collectors. It is designed to not affect your existing condition.

Point here is, you might get a few letters but we can help you deal with those. For now I'd seriously consider cessation of ALL payments and look at requesting a debt write off. We can help with this, but you need to want it and want to cease payments. It must be your decision what path you choose but seriously you're throwing money away paying into an endless pit. Why bother?

They can't touch you if you have no realisable assets
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Niddy,

Exactly and there is more chance of a write off if they are aware of the medical conditions and as I say it does not need to be in detail just the medical terms of the conditions.

A GP can do a "whom it may concern letter" but you may already have such if you have been claiming disability benefits via DWP and/or ATOS[SERS].

Comment

Hi Jilly,
                        I've been asked to look in...
                        As you'll see, many of us have been in similar positions and come through it, so we'll help you every step of the way...whichever way is right for you.

It's perfectly normal to panic and be unable to think straight when these things stack up against you, even more so when you are unwell, so don't worry, we understand about this. We'll look after you

You've had a lot of questions and suggestions to cope with all at once yesterday, so let's start afresh today and keep it to the main points:
                        In order to see which way to go with this, we do need to know:

Your assets/liabilities
                        • Do you own your own home? (in your name or joint)
                        • Do you own a car? (in your name)
                        • Can you tell us roughly how much you personally owe in total? Under or over £15,000? (In your name, or jointly)

We need this info as it will help us assess how your creditors will view your situation and whether you are eligible for certain Government schemes such as a Debt Relief Order.

Your debts
                        • Have any been defaulted and terminated?
                        • Which ones are still charging interest?
                        • Have you informed them in the past of your disability?

Your income

• Are you getting all the benefits you're entitled to?
                        • Any problems or appeals in progress for benefits?

You can check your entitlement here: Turn2us - to access benefits and grants

Once we have the full picture we can sort out the best way forward for you.
                        My own view is that we could initially try for a write off based on your health and circumstances, my usual approach is to write a letter for your partner to send detailing how concerned they are about the effect the debt is having on your health, together with medical evidence. This goes along with a letter of authority for your partner to correspond on your behalf.

They will not usually consider a write off without you supplying income and expenditure details. I can help you with that when the time comes.

To get things clear in your head, could you complete the Nedcab online income and expenses form here: North East Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau

(when you're ready, take things as fast or slowly as you're able )

As pompeyfaith says, once they're informed that you have health problems they have to treat you fairly.

If they won't consider a write off then we'll move on to other remedies . It's important to get them all to stop interest asap and stopping paying is the quickest way to do that, so that they default and terminate the accounts,although inevitably that will affect your credit file, but I'm assuming that's already affected?

Finally and importantly, don't ever speak to them on the phone about your situation. You need to keep everything in writing from now on.

You sound as if you've been through a lot in the last few years, but now you've found AAD you'll find the support and the strength to sort this out.
                        Anything you're not sure of, don't hesitate to ask,

Elsa xxx

Comment

Ok many thanks to all of you for all your comments which I have read through after hospital today. I have numerous letters from gp and hospital consultants as I have a condition which effects all of my organs. We have no house( live in a council flat) no car( drive a mobilty car) and as from the beginning of this year we have had to use all our savings for bills etc. Together we owe probably getting on for 10 thousand. My partner has a morgan stanley passed to Apex and pays £20 a month now on a agreed payment, still gets bothered every 3 months to increase it. also a lloyds tsb at £20 again. my capital one knows of my condition or so they should we have told them enough, also vanquish I am paying at £59 a month agreed payment now one month behind.

Comment

Ok many thanks to all of you for all your comments which I have read through after hospital today. I have numerous letters from gp and hospital consultants as I have a condition which effects all of my organs. We have no house( live in a council flat) no car( drive a mobilty car) and as from the beginning of this year we have had to use all our savings for bills etc. Together we owe probably getting on for 10 thousand. My partner has a morgan stanley passed to Apex and pays £20 a month now on a agreed payment, still gets bothered every 3 months to increase it. also a lloyds tsb at £20 again. my capital one knows of my condition or so they should we have told them enough, also vanquish I am paying at £59 a month agreed payment now one month behind.
                            Absolutely insane. For God's sake stop giving your blood to these leeches.

SH

Comment

you shouldn't be paying all of that out of your benefits, seriously what exactly can they do?

take you to court? you'll get £1 payment set
                              nothing else they can do, they going to put a charging order on the council flat? eh NO

listen to Elsa and let us try to sort out a write off but definitely stop paying now, £59 to those numpties at vanquish? they should be ashamed

if you get letters from Apex just ignore them, we stopped our DMP 3 years ago and stopped paying, the eejits at Apex send us a letter every 6 months asking us to increase the DMP payment, which ceased 3 years ago, so I wouldn't worry too much about that mob

Comment

Can't get blood out of a stone that very much holds true with you. Spend the money on something more useful like making your life more manageable which is what disability benefits really is for.

Comment

Working...
                                X