GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Your Thoughts Please! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Thoughts Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts Please!

My wife received a letter this morning. The envelope was sealed, but showing clearly in the address windown at the top were the words:

Debt Help Services Reference Number abcd1234

The envelope itself was so thin, you could clearly see the letters DHS on the letter inside it without holding it to the light. I've photographed it.

What do people think I should do about this? To me it's tantamount to telling the world and his wife my wife is in debt.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Your Thoughts Please!

nope, if the main basis was protected by envelope, not much you can do mate....

although if you knew the postie and he spread word and you have proof, different matter
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      nope, if the main basis was protected by envelope, not much you can do mate....

although if you knew the postie and he spread word and you have proof, different matter
      Indeed it would, his bits would be chopped off!

Thanks for the comments - it makes you wonder if this is deliberate in this case then, as the address window is a fixed size and the one line fits perfectly across the top of it.
      Last edited by BBoo; 26 May 2012, 17:07. Reason: Definitely not to delete the word ADVICE!

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
        Indeed it would, his bits would be chopped off!

Thanks for the advice - it makes you wonder if this is deliberate in this case then, as the address window is a fixed size and the one line fits perfectly across the top of it.
        Advice what advice......Ignore
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Advice? Here? Nah.....
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Who said anything about advice?

(Don't look at the reason for editing! lol)

Comment

Well I've just Google'd Debt Help Services to see who they are.
              To say that they are insolvency practitioners this seems a pretty shoddy trick. Any company with a shred of decency would use a security anti read envelope.

Though if they are touting for business, how the hell they get trade by embarrassing potential clients I don't know.

If it were me my heart tells me to look for a way of getting even, my head tells me forget it and follow the advice and ignore it.

Still a bit of digging by a third party may not go amiss.

Regards, Handy
              Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
              Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Hi BBoo

If the company concerned are using such cheap envelopes that are so thin you can read the contents within it says a lot about their own finances!

The amount of CMC's and DMC's that are touting for business, and blanket bombing addresses, I doubt your postie took even a second glance at it.

Best
                SnV
                "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I haven't actually tried reading the letter, but the DHS shows very clearly through the envelope. Whatever the correct procedure and legalities, which are clear in Niddy's post, I think I will still have a bit of a nibble at them. At the end of the day, if I can make them spend some time on this, some other poor so and so is being spared for a while.

Thanks all, appreciate the comments as ever.

Comment

Well, if you want to waste some time and argue it mate, just say you know the postie and when he/she delivered the letter they asked you if you was in debt cos they know a bloke blah blah.......

Then mention the DPA and security etc.

Have a mooch at attached document, seems the ICO accept that human mistakes do happen but they still say SO WHAT - take extra care!

See attached
                    Attached Files

Comment

I guess in a way I'm lucky at the moment in that I have time to waste. I will come up with something and complain. At the end of the day, it shouldn't have happened, so even if legally they're in the right, morally they are not.

Comment

Whether or not it's legal, it's still disgraceful to make something so blatantly obvious!
                        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                          Whether or not it's legal, it's still disgraceful to make something so blatantly obvious!
                          Whaaaat, like those ugly bright yellow post cards you mean?

It'll never improve.....

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                            Whaaaat, like those ugly bright yellow post cards you mean?

It'll never improve.....

You're right, BUT, remember I'm the Victor Meldrew of AAD If I see a glimpse of a complaint over consumer things, I'm in their trying to turn the glimpse into a panoramic view that everyone can see!

I may well not get anywhere with this, but my God, I'll make a few peoples' lives uncomfortable in my efforts to get nowhere.

Comment

Working...
                            X