GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Is there an official list of what is a "priority debt"? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an official list of what is a "priority debt"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an official list of what is a "priority debt"?

Just got off the phone, maddening call to the Benefits Agency's centralised Debt Management department in Nuneaton.

They have overpayed me and want it back at a rate of about a tenner a week. I accept I owe this debt. Taking into account regular repayments I'm currently making on priority debts I think I can afford to repay this at a fiver a week.

The call centre worker told me the benefit repayments have priority [size=5]even over my rent arrears. They intend to take a tenner a week at source and that's all there is to it unless I submit what is basically a full SOA. I'm not prepared to submit a SOA. I don't believe him about benefits repayments having priority over rent arrears either.

Is there anything quotable anywhere about what is and what is not a priority debt? I am thinking of writing to them... That is if I am proved right, I am not entirely certain if I will be or not yet.

Can anyone help?
    [Insert witty one-liner here... eventually.]

Re: Is there an official list of what is a "priority debt"?

Hi Hannah

The call centre worker was correct, unfortunately. Benefits and court fines (ordered costs) are priority and do come alongside things like rent, mortgage (oddly enough)... Are you currently in receipt of benefits?

Basically benefits and rent are the same priority debts: See this here :---> http://www.thinkmoney.com/expert-debt-v ... -debts.asp

Do you have kids, like is this CHb or CTC or do you mean an overpayment of like JSA? Can you be specifc and also advise the approx amount...? I presume you're still on benefits?

I'll PM you cos confused with something else totally unrelated lol
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I'm sorry I'm going to confuse you even more...

It is an income support overpayment, I have been on income support for a few years because I've been unwell.

The overpayment came about because my boyfriend moved in, which didn't go well and so only lasted a 8 weeks, and then I threw him out again. IS had stopped while he lived here as he earns a fair income (with which he did NOT pay the bills- hence why I chucked him out again and why I have rent arrears). They let me restart IS rather than go on the new ESA but miscalculated the first payment, so I ended up with an overpayment of £185-ish.

To answer you accurately, I do not currently have children. I am due to have a baby 21st October but with a warning this baby might have to be earlier than the dates, so 21st Oct means little.

If it's a priority debt then so be it, I am not so strapped as not to be able to stretch to it. I just mainly resented the idea the benefits thought themselves more important than the rent... Annoyingly they appear to have been right, technically.
      [Insert witty one-liner here... eventually.]

Comment

Originally posted by Hannah
        To answer you accurately, I do not currently have children. I am due to have a baby 21st October but with a warning this baby might have to be earlier than the dates, so 21st Oct means little.
        Hiya, aaahhhh - so you were right, being the wee one was actually born on 14th! Congratulations by the way ;30

Regards to IS overpayment, this is usually deducted at £5 per week. Have you made an offer to DWP for this amount? If you do then you'll be fine, that is the amount they usually agree to......
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X