GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script returning items and giving them my details - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

returning items and giving them my details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• returning items and giving them my details

i recently returned a fan heater which i brought from aldi which was faulty,
    gave the cashier my reciept ans she refunded my cash .then she pulled out a form which she asked me to fill in ie name address phone number
    to which i totally refused to do ,she then called the manager and he said i had to fill this in to get a refund ,to which i replied i already had the cash in my pocket and he was welcome to try and retrieve it.i asked him for what reason he needed my details ,was he going to invite me to the aldi xmas party.company policy he said well my policy is to not give my details over ,and i left the shop .
    now ive had this a few times on returning items ,where do we stand as consumers on this issue .

Re: returning items and giving them my details

not sure where we stand as consumers, but my argument would be, you never gave those details to buy it, you shouldnt need to for a refund either.

Im guessing it comes down to paper trail for this guys more than anything, just so they know, who had the faulty item.

I doubt theres any laws regarding it, store policy isnt a law, the smart thing would have been to force u to fill out the form before gaining the refund lol

I had to do all that when i returned a faulty tv to pc world, but since i had already given them everything to do with tv licensing, i didnt see an issue with reitterating it.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Data is a valuable resource, but the people working in the shops do not know why it is being collected. The head offices use the details however they wish. Have you noticed there is generally no DPA info given in such circumstance?

The name, address and telephone number allow any auditor to get in touch if there is a need to. I have heard of people stealing caseloads of items and returning them to other stores. How easy is it to create a receipt? Only where there is an intelligent till that can check against the original invoice (as in Wickes) can they be sure the product was sold.

It is an audit trail to stop collusion/theft by employees and their friends. e.g. buy goods swap them for broken goods or even return something completely different and then return for your money back, beats paying insurance.

Some companies also use the details to check across all their stores to see if there is a pattern of buying and return, especially if there is a bonus on the original purchase such as cashback of loyalty points which cannot be checked against the return. This is also used where stolen vouchers have been used, as you can be sure the vouchers given for the return are valid. It can also highlight where people buy clothes use them and then return them regularly.

However, the customer service people do not know where you live or if the telno is that of the local library.

Comment

so would these companys be able to amass this type of data and then sell them on .???

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post

It is an audit trail to stop collusion/theft by employees and their friends. e.g. buy goods swap them for broken goods or even return something completely different and then return for your money back, beats paying insurance.
          They don't ask for any ID though so in theory, you could say you were Santa Claus.......
          Remember the mantra:
          NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
          Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
          Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Write down the address of a DCA so they start getting Aldi's special Sunday bargains sent to them through the post.

They have no legal right to demand this data from you. If you hit a problem, ask on what legislation they rely for the right to do this, as national legislation over-rules company policy.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
              They don't ask for any ID though so in theory, you could say you were Santa Claus.......
              Or Ivor Hugh Janus, phone number 0161 812 5050.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                Or Ivor Hugh Janus, phone number 0161 812 5050.

Very funny cloggy,
                Yours Sincerely
                Ivor Willy.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post

Very funny cloggy,
                  It's better than that - the number is that for GMP's switchboard.

Imagine their reaction to someone saying that name...

Comment

You get the idea.

so would these companys be able to amass this type of data and then sell them on .???

and why ever wouldn't they? They do the same with the our entries on the voting register which they sell off for about £10 the lot. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a £100,000 as at least the council would grit the roads and the pavements.

Comment

They do the same with the our entries on the voting register which they sell off for about £10 the lot. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a £100,000 as at least the council would grit the roads and the pavements.
                      One can, however, choose not to appear on the unedited, public register.

Comment

Just write:

David Cameron
                        10 Downing Street
                        London
                        SW1

Comment

Cloggy
                          One can but they publish it anyway from other sources. One still appears on 192.com for some reason. No protection.

question in with MP who stated being reviewed, but not sure when.

Vossy
                          Surely it is just plain Dave innit?

Comment

One can but they publish it anyway from other sources. One still appears on 192.com for some reason.
                            I don't.

Comment

Working...
                            X