GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script SCAM Warning - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCAM Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCAM Warning

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT

Someone bought a bunch of groceries over £150, & glanced at the receipt as the cashier was handing the bags. then saw a cash-back of £40. & told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told Her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it.. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the Electronic Pad must be defective.

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford , Sainsburys last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My co-worker called Sainsburys who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!
    This is NOT limited to Sainsburys; they are one of the largest retailers so they have the most incidents.
    I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Sainsburys and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a £20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!!!!!

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START!

PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES.

Re: SCAM Warning

OMG that is real bad!!!

Thanks for posting this, I will of course pass the word on to friends and family as well.

Blimey, that is so shocking, and sorry that you had to go through all that commotion for this RainbowLiberty, and good for you for standing your ground.

Comment

Originally posted by di30
      OMG that is real bad!!!

Thanks for posting this, I will of course pass the word on to friends and family as well.

Blimey, that is so shocking, and sorry that you had to go through all that commotion for this RainbowLiberty, and good for you for standing your ground.

Sorry I should have double checked everything before posting, this was actually sent to me in an email but as it could so easily happen I wanted everyone to know about it. Thankfully this wasn't actually me it happened to.

Comment

Not to worry, at least its a warning to others, thank you x

Comment

wow, that's shocking. i don't normally check my receipts on leaving the till but i will now...thanks for posting this...

Comment

Thank you Rainbow, for sharing this information and posting in forum.....
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks rainbow! I've just emailed to all my family and friends to warn them.
              Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle!

Comment

I have been looking through all receipts, I am a bit of an hoarder with them :red , well until they are no use anyway, but with not remembering if we had cashback or not over the past month its a job to know, but still we have been alerted now, so thanks Rainbow. X

(However, i no longer hold a credit card, but I assume this could go for debit cards as well)?

Comment

Thanks for that RL. I'll email it to my friends and family.

I usually check my receipts when I get home but that's no good in this case. I suppose it's unscrupulous people taking advantage of the Christmas 'rush'.

Originally posted by di30
                  (However, i no longer hold a credit card, but I assume this could go for debit cards as well)?
                  I've only ever been offered cashback with debit cards not credit cards.
                  Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I think the real scam here is in the fact that you are all taking part in a chain letter. I bet you if you traced it back, you would find that it actually never originated from ANYONE you know.

Not to say that it couldn't happen, but just pointing out the irony of such SCAM emails.
                    I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Cheap wine scam pair plead guilty

Click image for larger version

Name:	surpwine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1382602
                      Two men responsible for a wine scam involving bogus newspaper adverts have pleaded guilty to fraud charges.

Denis Le Franq, who is 35 and a Belgian national and Jeremy Gillis, 33, from Leeds, admitted conspiracy to defraud.

Adverts in two national newspapers in March 2010 promised cheap wine from restaurants which had gone bust during the recession.
                      Customers paid hundreds of thousands of pounds up front but did not receive any wine.

When police were alerted, they found the business had suddenly been wound up and Denis Le Franq had left the country.

"Mr Le Franq ran this scam over a five-day period and amassed about £380,000," Det Insp Steve Taylor from West Yorkshire Police's Economic Crime Unit told the BBC Radio 4 programme You & Yours.

Click HERE to read more

Comment

Working...
                      X