SLR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLR?

I'm getting mum's insurance in the next few weeks, which is a bit more than I expected, so I'm going to treat myself to a couple of new gadgets. One thing I want is an SLR camera.

I'm looking to get one that's second hand, or cheap, as I'm going travelling through Eastern Europe in December, so I don't want expensive gear with me, but I do want to be able to take decent pics.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Either of decent brands, or what kind of things I should be looking for in the specs. I know where I am with compacts, so is it just the same with SLR's, ie high ISO, high Optical Zoom, etc?

Re: SLR?

Hi Ames - i have lumnex G2 which is good - but the person who knows a bit about camera's is 5corpio so he might be able to help. I find it light and very easy to use (I did do a camera course recently whidh helped me so much)

I know the Cannon EOS is also a good camera

Good luck

x

Comment

Hi Ames

that sounds nice, to get yourself a few gadget treats - these are only thoughts and ideas:

You may want to buy a digial comapact camera rather than a DSLR, incase it gets stolen (and you've wasted all that good money) - might also be cheaper to buy a quality DSLR once abroad rather than the UK Prices?

also take into mind, are you travelling light, back packing, away for long time - bulky DSLR not worth carrying around exposing yourself more vunerbale if your backpacking as well- light weight, compact digital camera or a compact dslr like the Sony, Olympus, Panasonic is worth looking at, as it fits neat and snug....

- You need to look at your budget in what you are willing to spend to what you want out of it

- You may need to check the cost of the lenses as well as the price of the camera your buying (Lenses can be cheaper when bought abroad rather than in the UK)

-as well as ISO, Manual Focus as well as AF, Memory card speeds, (if you plan to take RAW file on DSLR) Durablitity, Optical as well as Pixels
      - Micro three/four is the new way forward (for lens mounting)
      - Battery life (as well as costs, for keeping spare)
      - Memory Cards

Compact DSLR Examples:
      Sony NEX-C3 - compact, light, changeable lens optional

Olympus E-PL3 OR E-PM1 - compact, light, changeable lens optional

Samsung NX100 - compact, light, changeable lens optional

Either can be viewed at manufacture website or Google It......

Compact Digital:

Sony HX7 - 16.2 megapixels.25mm wide angle lens.10 x optical zoom.40 x digital zoom.
      Panasonic TZ20 - 14.1 megapixels.Aluminium body. 24mm wide angle lens. 16 x optical zoom. 4 x digital zoom.

Either can be viewed at manufacture website or Google It......

TIPS:
      Read up on a few, majority of manufacture does comparison chart with there own cameras, follow this up by going to places like Jessops, Wilkinson Camera, Pc World, High street camera shop etc and try the cameras before you buy NEVER COMMIT TO BUY ON THE DAY. Once you've decided, check on internet to compare prices, Ebay, Amazon, google etc - Not ALL Compare sites are the cheapest. Once your happy, then make your purchase where you choose to go....

I bought my Panasonic G2 from an Ebay shop in the UK cost NEW £349, Jessops price on the high street shop/online £450 i saved £100 which can be used for insurance, equipment towards my camera etc
      If you plan to buy your DSLR camera abroad, make sure its a well known brand, as when you come to the UK, you may find that the warranty is for only that country, as well as if you bought it from the shop, that you would have to get in touch with them directly, a bit costly exercise

Hope you find what you are looking for, and get to take some snappy snap pictures Ames

If you need anymore help, feel free to post, normanlly on everyday
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all that info 5corpio!

I will be backpacking (well, wheely suitcasing!). I've already got a compact, it's served me well for about 6 years. I want to be able to do a bit more though, I've done the odd photography course and I'm ready to move onwards and upwards.

I agree about having valuables, which is why I want one second hand, ideally a couple of years old so I can still get a few spare batteries and memory cards, but which wont break the bank if it's nicked. The weight thing's a good point though.

I like the idea of looking at the compact SLR's, I'll do a bit of window shopping around next time I'm in town.

Cheers for the list of things to look for, I even understood what they all are (mostly)!

Comment

Ok, I've been and had a look at PC World (while buying a new laptop, my old one died on the day that the first insurance payment cleared, phew! I wanted a smaller one anyway so I can take it in to uni with me).

I like the look of the Bridge cameras, there was a snazzy Fujifilm one that was pretty much half price. I've got a £50 off a £200 spend voucher that's valid in November (as I found when I tried to use it today ) so I'll see what offers are about there, unless I see a good deal online in the meantime.

Am I right that Bridge cameras can't have the lenses changed? I'm thinking one of those would be better because of it being lighter, less valuable, and smaller but still has more ooomph than my compact.

Really I want to be able to take wide angle landscape photos, would a Bridge do that? Because that's the one thing that I don't like about my compact.

I've been thinking about waiting and buying abroad, or at the airport from duty free, but I'd rather get one in advance so I've got a better choice, and because I like to have things planned and controlled and don't want to end up panic buying and regretting it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Ames View Post
            Am I right that Bridge cameras can't have the lenses changed?
            Yes. Another way of looking at it is that is much more difficult, with a bridge camera, to get the "artistic effect" of dust or dirt on the sensor.

Most bridge cameras, these days, have some form of anti-shake function, whereas not all entry level DSLRs have that. Many DSLRs have some form of remote control or cable release, but this is less common on bridge cameras.

Really I want to be able to take wide angle landscape photos, would a Bridge do that? Because that's the one thing that I don't like about my compact.
            Yes, it should be able to cope with that, as I'd expect the bridge camera lens, at its shortest focal length, to be roughly equivalent to a 28mm lens on a 35mm SLR. Additionally, an afocal, wide angle converter may be available for some bridge cameras

I've been thinking about waiting and buying abroad, or at the airport from duty free, but I'd rather get one in advance so I've got a better choice, and because I like to have things planned and controlled and don't want to end up panic buying and regretting it later.
            If you do buy in the UK, you may have to obtain a customs carnet - a chit from UK customs - or you'll be charged duty and VAT on your camera when you return.

Comment

London Camera Exchange " just google "Lce"

i picked up a very nice canon 350D with a 18-55mm ef-s lens and a 90-300mm ef lens, all for under £200. a very very nice consumer /prosumer camera.

you may be better off going into jessops and likes getting a feel for the cameras, but do not buy them.

treat your visit as windowshopping, have a good hold of a few DSLR cameras and chose a make that feels nice to hold, Dslr's can weigh a fair bit when you have a monster lens hanging from it.

cheap point and shoot cameras will do fine for a few holiday snaps etc etc, but quality and more choice comes with a Dslr camera. you will aslo find a second hand DSLR being well looked after before it is sold on and will last you a good few years to.

things to look for is the shutter count, the shutter count will give you an idea how much the camera is used. it counts each time the shutter is activated and stores on the camera. you can find out the shutter count with free software online.

Comment

I love cameras.

I've got a Sony W70 as a snapper, Fuji 6500FD bridge camera, Nikon D40 DSLR, and my most recent purchase, an Olympus Pen E-PL1 "system" camera.

I'm really impressed with the Olympus and now pick it up over the Nikon..
                -----------------------------------------------

Happiness, is screwing over a DCA.......

Comment

Working...
                X