Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bing

Hi, I need some help please.

A few weeks ago because my laptop hard drive was full to bursting, I decided to uninstall programmes that hadn't been used for a long time and it's worked fine since.

Until I realised this week, I couldn't open any photo's or videos. I had previously uninstalled VLC media player, so re-installed it but the problem remained. My son told me to install k-lite mega codec, which has alleviated the problem.

But because of me messing about with other things I have somehow managed to get 'bing' on my laptop and just can't get rid of it. Having googled it, there are several sites that tell you what to do and it's not worked!

When I look in the control panel to add or remove programmes, bing isn't showing.

I'm not very techie, so need simple answers please?

Re: Bing

Others more Techie than I will be along to help, Marypoppins, but in the meantime, what operating system are you on and what browser are you using?
    Is it just Bing search or the Bing toolbar you want shut of?

(Don't blame you, it's crap!)

Elsa x

Comment

Hi Elsa thanks for posting.

It's the toolbar and seach

It's XP professional version 2002 (goodness that's old!)
      Service pack 3

I've always used chrome.

Comment

Is it bing homepage, bing toolbar - what?

The easiest way to disable such things from view is to select View then Toolbars and just uncheck those you don't want - like this (this is showing IE browser). If Bing was installed on my PC it'd show under the Menu Bar list to the right and would also be highlighted and ticked....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IE_toolbars.png
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1399230

If you cannot see the Menu Bar then just right click anywhere in the top of the screen and check Menu Bar then you'll see it (ie File View etc etc)
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by marypoppins View Post
          Hi Elsa thanks for posting.

It's the toolbar and seach

It's XP professional version 2002 (goodness that's old!)
          Service pack 3

I've always used chrome.
          Search -> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-4ceef0b484b6

Your solution is to click on the Wrench > Options> Basics >Search >click on the drop down arrow and instead of showing the current selection of BING, choose Google. Now your searches will be done with Google in your Google Chrome (default) browser.
          Toolbar -> http://productforums.google.com/foru...me/O9gX8zTRHko

• Click on start, followed by Settings and then Control Panel
          • Select Add or Remove programs
          • Select the Bing Toolbar Chrome extension
          • Now click Remove
          • Remember to restart your computer to completely uninstall the toolbar
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Could access the edit toolbar!

Couldn't find a wrench anywhere!

Bing not in control panel 'add/remove' programmes!

I did look at the microsoft help sites and forums but nothing I did would get rid of it!

However, I've somehow managed to get rid of it, no idea how! I've played about with the settings and it's gone.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Well, I thought I'd sorted it!

I've put the chrome shortcut back on my desktop but when I open it, I get 'this web page is not available', but if I then open another tab I get the chrome page that I used to see before the problems started. It also opens fine if I minimise the page that is unavailable and open the shortcut again, it opens fine.

Comment

How are you adding the chrome shortcut? From what you're saying you must have two installations - very unlikely but likewise, if you had the bing toolbar installed then it MUST show in the add/remove programs yet you say it doesn't.

You might be better removing chrome and reinstalling that, see what that does. A fresh install might just fix whatever issue it is you're suffering...

Follow this guide -> https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en-GB

Then reinstall it here --> https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  How are you adding the chrome shortcut? From what you're saying you must have two installations - very unlikely but likewise, if you had the bing toolbar installed then it MUST show in the add/remove programs yet you say it doesn't.

I know it should be there but it's not, unless it's disguised as something else! The forums I've been on say the same and there's something called conduit which I think may be connected and that isn't in the add/remove either. To add the shortcut, I just go into programmes and do it from there, I have spotted that when I go to 'start', there are two chrome icons.

You might be better removing chrome and reinstalling that, see what that does. A fresh install might just fix whatever issue it is you're suffering...

Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens.

Follow this guide -> https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en-GB

Then reinstall it here --> https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
                  I'll have a look at the links thank you.

Comment

Right click both chrome icons on start and delete (shortcut)..... Do that after uninstalling if they're still there.

Comment

Have you reset your homepage ? Checked there isn't a bing extension ?

M1

Comment

I've uninstalled chrome and re-installed

Now only got one chrome icon in the start menu and when I open it from the start menu or from the shortcut, it's still giving me the page unavailable message.

It's opening up with this in the search bar chrome-search://local-ntp/

Mystery thanks for that, I did check the extensions as this was something mentioned in one of the forums but it's not there. I seem to have got rid of bing but can't get chrome until the second attempt of opening it, I did do a re-set too.

I have re-booted as well.

Comment

set homepage --> https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en-GB

Comment

Done that too Niddy thanks

I think I'll start saving for a new laptop, I don't think this one can cope anymore! Or the user

Comment

Why not install Mozilla Firefox.

That'll sort it

Comment

Working...
                              X