GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Swapping Motherboard - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swapping Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping Motherboard

Right have an issue with the motherboard currently using a Foxconn 945GZ7MC-KS2H

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Produc...U=en-us0000220

It is making a clunking sound which is not a windows system clicking and when it does all hell breaks loose and the screen freezes and is thus unresponsive.

I think it could be a processor fault, now I have an identical motherboard in another PC that has been raided for spares can this be swapped over without any issues to boot/bios and run windows 7 straight off or will it be another install again?

I have managed to find this:

Although the recommended procedure is a clean install I have found through much experience that Windows 7 is very good at coping with motherboard changes (much better than Windows XP where you nearly always have to reinstall) and that you very rarely have to reinstall when changing motherboards. Of greater concern is the fact that windows will become deactivated due to the maximum hardware changes limit being exceeded.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...nstall-windows

But would appreciate any input I can get here.

Thank You
    Last edited by pompeyfaith; 31 July 2013, 16:31.

Re: Swapping Motherboard

Theres very few moving parts in a motherboard, infact fans are about the only thing on a motherboard (apart from HHD) that moves, so i cant see how a clunking noise can be the motherboard or the processor.

That being said, screen freezes is a sign that the processor may be overheating, which is a motherboard issue, best way to tell is go over to ubuntu and download their live CD, burn it to disk, then stick it in and boot from it. If theres any overheating issues it will tell you before shutting down.

Or if you know what the temps should be, go in to CMOS and check the temps.

I had this issue with a failed motherboard in past.

Also, if you replace the motherboard and use the same windows OS, and HDD, you are going to have some conflicts, its unlikely you will get a first time sucessful boot, there are software out there that apprently will re-write the boot settings so it all pairs back up, ive never bothered, always just ran a clean install after a motherboard swap. Easiest way.

If you need to recover files, then just run ubuntu Live CD and mount the drive, copy the files before reinstalling windows.
    Last edited by SXGuy; 31 July 2013, 16:37.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

But what i will say is, cluncking sounds more like a HDD issue, not a motherboard issue, so you really should track the source of the problem down before buying a new motherboard for nothing, you might just need a new HDD and then clone the partitions over, make sure you get the exact same HDD that way you will have no conflicts.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have two large fans one at the back and one at the front but only the back one was connected to MB as it only has one connection.

On taking the cover off and running it the other night I noticed the back fan that was connected was not working so it has been getting hot so I will take this one out and connect the fan at the front which is identical.

Comment

Do not need to buy a new MB as have an identical one spare

Comment

I put together a Foxconn based system from a "barebones" set up from Novatech. To replace a system completely shot. This runs all my CAD stuff separately ( I use a switch for keyboard and mouse) However had a major problem with the operating system, like it didn't work at all when reinstalled on the new system. Complained like hell to Microsoft who told me that their systems are not transferable to new motherboards, they said that there is some code or other that they make use of built into the firmware of motherboards. To be fair they arranged for me to get a brand new Windows 7 OEM operating system from Novatech at the OEM price.

regards
            G

Comment

Yep, See when you install windows, or rather use windows to install a new HDD for example, boot records, configurations etc all pair up with the hard ware running, you cant do all that then swap a major component and expect it to work, the only way is to use software that re-writes this info, or to do a fresh install.

In regards to the fan not working, this could cause the CPU to overheat, and freeze screen issues, doesnt resolve the clunking noise though, if this continues to happen, id suggest cloning the HDD while you can still access it, and replacing it with a new one.

Most cloning software will run using a very low level scan, and some good ones, will skip bad sectors so you can get a pretty decent clone, your saving grace is that your still getting past the boot screen, if you wasnt, a bad sector could be at the boot record, and well, it can be a nightmare to fix.

Comment

The amount of knackered boot sectors I've created "misusing" the dreaded /fixmbr command

We won't go there eh
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  The amount of knackered boot sectors I've created "misusing" the dreaded /fixmbr command

We won't go there eh
                  l l l

I've knackered a servo write on the old AS400 files when is was a young wet behind the ears design engineer for that blue company first. I cannot understand why they get so upset l

regards
                  G

Comment

All the websites on the net that get you to run fixmbr should be black listed, ive done it myself a few times, i refuse to go near it anymore lol Once i done it, and it started re-writing every single sector of the hard drive, re allocation them all, went on for hours. Cut a long story short, everything was fucked lol

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                      All the websites on the net that get you to run fixmbr should be black listed, ive done it myself a few times, i refuse to go near it anymore lol Once i done it, and it started re-writing every single sector of the hard drive, re allocation them all, went on for hours. Cut a long story short, everything was fucked lol
                      I have that t-shirt mate, a 500GB HDD (took 14 hours back then)

End result - fooked!!!
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I agree, 14 hours is usual. That's why I back up iso files to my server. Easy restore. Only had to d it once since 2008. Makes me feel safe though!
                        Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        I have that t-shirt mate, a 500GB HDD (took 14 hours back then)

End result - fooked!!!

Comment

UPDATE

All done with no issues at all, pulled it all apart took out MB and replaced with the same MB put everything else back as it was started her up and it went straight into CHKDSK let that run and hokey dokey here I am win 7 as the first post said handled it well.

Fans are now working and it is running sweet.

So the upshot is if changing MB with like for like and you are running Win 7 it should present no issues at all just let the CHKDSK run.
                          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 31 July 2013, 20:52.

Comment

Had no issues to worry about with files as everything is backed up on here:

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/externa...ku=STCA2000200

This auto backs up every time I save a file even on social networks like FaceBook

Comment

just keep an eye on that "clunking"

Comment

Working...
                              X