GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Leaking radiator but water is dripping through the kitchen ceiling - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaking radiator but water is dripping through the kitchen ceiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking radiator but water is dripping through the kitchen ceiling

So we noticed a leak through the kitchen ceiling and bought some new felt and sealant to repair what we thought was a suspect area on the flat room which is the kitchen .

Our kitchen extension is from where our bedroom is and the radiator is leaking right where the leak is coming through - we attempted to seal it with some plumbers mate putty but it was old so didn't seal - off to B&Q soon to buy some more and hubby is going to attempt to seal the leak again .

If this doesn't work anyone with any knowledge please can you help ?

Can't afford a plumber right now really literally skint bad time for the business -so will have to be a DIY job .

Thanks s2m

Re: Leaking radiator but water is dripping through the kitchen ceiling

I'm sorry S2M but I don't have a clue. Just a thought - maybe your hubby could drain the radiator before using the putty -maybe it will help it to seal better?
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Pixie- found the leak in the kitchen ceiling its an old lead pipe that is leaking at the joint , the radiator needs replacing eventually we have stopped the leak on that but this leak in the ceiling needs a plumber so hubby has contacted his mate not had a reply as yet but have a huge hole in the ceiling now as needed to locate the leak .

Comment

It never rains but it pours S2M...though probably not an appropriate saying given the water problem
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
          It never rains but it pours S2M...though probably not an appropriate saying given the water problem
          Now that'st true although its snowing here today . Anyway hubbys plumber mate is coming round to see the leak at 6 this evening - they usually horse trade so prob will only cost us the materials .

There are some perks to being self employed , and believe it or not the business has picked up really well its just January when everyone has spent up over Christmas .

We def need a new radiator unless the plumber can seal it - that plumbers mate putty used to do the trick but its utter rubbish now and it used to be grey now its brown so maybe they changed the ingredients . £5.40 for a small packet .

So we have to turn the water off and if it stops leaking that's good if it doesn't the system needs draining

Happy days :

Comment

That's the leak fixed in the kitchen ceiling thank the Lord for that , and £12 that's all it cost and that was for the parts .

Next thing new radiator .

Comment

Do you need a new radiator? If you switch the heating off you can drain the water out of it. Then clean and dry the connections before refitting them. I assume it's the connection that's leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by mike'y View Post
                Do you need a new radiator? If you switch the heating off you can drain the water out of it. Then clean and dry the connections before refitting them. I assume it's the connection that's leaking.
                No its an old radiator and has got rust on it at the bottom the valve is fine .

Comment

So, is it surface rust or is it actually gone porous? Reason I ask is that it may just need scrubbing with a wire brush before repainting. If it's porous then it'll need replacing. Good luck.

Comment

All the best S2M x
                    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by mike'y View Post
                      So, is it surface rust or is it actually gone porous? Reason I ask is that it may just need scrubbing with a wire brush before repainting. If it's porous then it'll need replacing. Good luck.
                      It's in the bottom right hand corner and its rusty and seems to have a leak coming from it .

Comment

new radiators are quite cheap these days, had to replace one of mine couple of years ago only cost £45 for the radiator and more to fit it go to merchants on this one as I found they were helpful and cheaper than B&Q etc etc

Comment

Working...
                        X