GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Insurance for a young male driver... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance for a young male driver...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for a young male driver...

Please can anyone recommend a reasonable insurer for a young male driver, age 19? I realise that insurance premiums for his age bracket are through the roof but thought I would ask anyway.

This is my daughter's boyfriend, he has a Ford Focus and bought insurance after being told (via a website) that he could add another named driver (his dad) and by doing so, his insurance premium would benefit from dad's no claims and the pemiums would be lower. Policy went through ok.... drives around for a fortnight or so, then receives a letter telling him that actually, no.... he can't do that and his premiums are now double those quoted and purchased.

If this was my son, I'd be jumping up and down but it's not my son, his dad works long hours and hasn't got the time to dig through all the bollox.... he's just swallowed it as being the status quo.

Boyfriend is now on the verge of selling the car.... as he can/t afford the newly inflated monthly payments. I don't want to interfere too much in terms of fighting because I don't want to be seen as the interfering witch I know I can be when companies p*ss me off.... but, any thoughts? Positive ones?

Last edited by PriorityOne; 13 December 2011, 18:16.
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Insurance for a young male driver...

I would firstly see what the lad got in the way of paperwork when he signed up. In my experiance even if you can use his dad's no claims ( remember it can only be used on one car at a time). I doubt if the cost would halve as they always work on the youngest person being the main driver.

I tried a similar thing with my daughter ( I have a spare full no claims) and it was more or less as cheap for her to build up her own no claims, plus the fact if you insure it use your own no claims you have to show insureable interest etc.

When we first insured my daughter we put her on one of these polices that has limits, eg if you use it after 11pm you have to pay a extra fee etc. I think the company was Icube????

Comment

Aviva, my son who was 18 with licence for less then a year has his Nissan Almera insured for 978.00 a year.

Yeah the Icube is pretty good too

but I added myself (female is better then dad) to the policy as a secondary driver and we had osme no claims.

but avia are pretty good.

Comment

That's really good Jen.

My son is 23 now, has full comprehensive and driving for over almost 5 years, he is the main driver and my hubby is added as the 2nd driver which helps, and he is not paying much less than your son, considering your's have had his licence for less that a year, that is brill.

Direct line.

Comment

Not sure if you are insuring this way, but I would advise not to just get quotes from comparison websites but to use these as well as other sources like the phone book, word of mouth and indeed face to face.

Comparison sites are not always the cheapest however citizens thing they are due to the way they are advertised indeed these insurers pay a free to these sites which is reflected in your quote.

It is this reason why Direct line pulled out of using comparison sites for there business as they realised they could quote cheaper without them.

There you go just some tips in finding a cheap quote.

Regards

Comment

Thank you so much people.... I will find out who he's with at some point and try to advise. I spoke to him last night and said that if he sold the car (as he was thinking of doing yesterday), then he'd never build up a no-claims..... so he's mulling that one over for the time being.

Comparison websites are not the best, it's true. I never use them..... my own policy worked out more expensive on one of those sites some years ago so I came away.

I'll catch up with him again properly next week, let him know about the names you all mentioned and keep you posted.

Thank you all once again....
            Remember the mantra:

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well..... a company called "Service XK" is coming up trumps at the moment Third party, fire & theft with one other named driver (his mum) at £1,624 a year, with an option of paying monthly!

Seems too good to be true..... .... which is making me a tad hesitant..... but this was through Go Compare, so it must be legit, surely?
              Last edited by PriorityOne; 24 December 2011, 00:58.
              Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
              X