GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Tip Of The Day -MOT - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip Of The Day -MOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Of The Day -MOT

Talking to a friend of mine tonight, he was telling me he had been clamped by a patrolling DVLA mobile van for no road tax on the street where he lives, he stated to them that he paid by direct debit and that was not possible, he was then told his MOT had run out (which it had.by10 days) which under DVLA rules voids the road tax.

The clamp will cost him £260 to have removed, then he has to get a MOT within 24 hrs or SORN the vehicle, and then he has to re-apply for road tax as the last one has been cancelled, and to rub salt into the wound, he only taxed his car last month and under the terms of the penalty he won't get a refund for the unused months of the cancelled road tax.

He’s going to be days without a car and around £400 out of pocket for forgetting his MOT

HARSH and very unfair IMO you would not get that for mugging these days.

Check your MOT’s people.!

Re: Tip Of The Day -MOT

It's a shame he's not minted Allan he'd likely get away with it , poor chap very harsh .xxxxx
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It's always surprised me that there are no MOT automatic reminders - probably because there is too much money to be made out of people who forget!
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I thought the £160 charge was a surety until you prove you are taxed - I read something recently about this.

What a rip off though, shocking!!
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
          It's a shame he's not minted Allan he'd likely get away with it , poor chap very harsh .xxxxx
          He ain't skint nanna!

I don't see why they send reminders for car tax but not for MOT.

It's ridiculous that he has to forfeit the road tax that he's already paid.

BTW I've been checking on Google and I can't see anything anywhere that says the car tax is forfeited or that the vehicle is clamped (and that includes the Govt.uk website ---> https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...s#penaltytable It just says a fine of up to £100 and most websites say a fine of £60 is usual.

Vehicles can be clamped if they're untaxed but I can't see anything about them being clamped for no MOT. I'm wondering if he's been scammed Allan? Do you know if a INF32 leaflet was left on his vehicle?
          Last edited by Pixie; 25 November 2016, 10:24.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
            He ain't skint nanna!

I don't see why they send reminders for car tax but not for MOT.

It's ridiculous that he has to forfeit the road tax that he's already paid.

BTW I've been checking on Google and I can't see anything anywhere that says the car tax is forfeited or that the vehicle is clamped (and that includes the Govt.uk website ---> https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...s#penaltytable It just says a fine of up to £100 and most websites say a fine of £60 is usual.

Vehicles can be clamped if they're untaxed but I can't see anything about them being clamped for no MOT. I'm wondering if he's been scammed Allan? Do you know if a INF32 leaflet was left on his vehicle?
            Hi,
            He is possibly using a poor garage for his MOT as they usually send reminders as they want the repeat business.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
              Hi,
              He is possibly using a poor garage for his MOT as they usually send reminders as they want the repeat business.
              I've never had a garage send me a reminder helmsman.

Comment

I've never had a garage send me a reminder helmsman.
                Hi Pixie,
                Been using same garage for last 3 years get reminder 1 month before its due (is a Kia though) also use to use formula one always received email reminder from them too.
                Helmsman.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                  Hi,
                  I know the garage that looks after his fleet of vehicles ....I'll have a word with the boss about poor service.....

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    I thought the £160 charge was a surety until you prove you are taxed - I read something recently about this.

What a rip off though, shocking!!
                    It was made clear to him the penalty was for no tax...when he protested that he had only taxed it last month and paid by direct debit he was told having no MOT invalidated the road tax and it was revoked ....no refund of unused duty... no second chance..no appeal ...suck it up and don't forget to check your MOT in future.

He contacted the DVLA and paid up this morning, they told him there is a charge of £26 per day for the clamp on his car, but as it is Friday and the enforcement officers won't get back to remove it until Monday they are kindly waiving the daily clamp fee....Awww..isn't that nice of them ....

Now he just has to suffer the embarassment of his vehicle sitting on the road outside his house all weekend with a clamp on it...

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                      Now he just has to suffer the embarassment of his vehicle sitting on the road outside his house all weekend with a clamp on it...
                      I'd take it off myself (without damaging it of course) - But given DVLA is a government dept, it would probably count as Treason!

Comment

There are websites you can enter your registration and they will email or text to remind you when Mot is due. Similarly halfords auto centre have a reminder service. I can see how you can easily get caught out and forget tho. In the past my mot and road tax used to be due the same month and mot was due first so I'd always remember to get both done but my latest car road tax is first and mot is due the following month. Wouldn't be hard to forget to get it done but in that situation you can see why no mot invalidates your road tax as you could in theory get your car taxed based on last year's mot result and not bother with a new one.

Comment

You can get a text reminder from the DVLA for £1.50. I just write it on my calendar/in my diary

Comment

You can get a text reminder from the DVLA for £1.50.
                            the gov't's formal mot text reminder service finished in August 2014.
                            the last mot garage will usually now send a reminder, for their business. plus there are various 'free' reminder services around, from garages etc as suggested.
                            Last edited by alfie; 14 December 2016, 18:35.

Comment

Working...
                            X