GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oscar
    replied
    Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    OK, do as you please.

You asked for an easy way to ensure that the servo was free from brake fluid without taking it to bits but, when I suggested an alternative, you rejected it out of hand.

Have fun.
    It wasnt a rejection, but I am not a master mechanic, neither do I have a lot of money. Personally, I do not see the point in replacing a part that is fully functional.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Originally posted by oscar View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with the servo, only the master cylinder.
    OK, do as you please.

You asked for an easy way to ensure that the servo was free from brake fluid without taking it to bits but, when I suggested an alternative, you rejected it out of hand.

Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• caspar
    replied

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
    I had a similar problem on a car once - turned out to be the slave cylinder on the clutch, this located within the clutch bell-housing, & virtually impossible to see. The clutch & break fluid top-up tank was a 'common' unit, so a leak on the clutch could affect the brakes.
    Quite a few vehilces have this ridiculous system. It is potentially a killer, as a problem with your cltch could lead to a loss of brakes which could easil lead to your death. Ridiculous! I've got the same system on my motorhome.

I assume there's no damp behind the brake pedal?

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Replace the servo.
    Theres nothing wrong with the servo, only the master cylinder.

If brake fluid were to evaporate readily, it wouldn't be much use in hydraulic systems.
    But that is in a closed system. Fairly sure the servo / housing itself is not air locked, so I am assuming the fluid lost / sprayed into there would evaporate with the heat from the engine.

Leave a comment:

• charitynjw
    replied

I had a similar problem on a car once - turned out to be the slave cylinder on the clutch, this located within the clutch bell-housing, & virtually impossible to see. The clutch & break fluid top-up tank was a 'common' unit, so a leak on the clutch could affect the brakes.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Going to hope Allan sees this before tomorrow afternoon.

Pretty sure its the master now.... 99% in fact. Whats the easiest way (if any) of removing excess fluid from the servo? (without taking it apart)
    Replace the servo.

Can this be left to evaporate off at all?
    If brake fluid were to evaporate readily, it wouldn't be much use in hydraulic systems.

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Going to hope Allan sees this before tomorrow afternoon.

Pretty sure its the master now.... 99% in fact. Whats the easiest way (if any) of removing excess fluid from the servo? (without taking it apart)

Can this be left to evaporate off at all?

Leave a comment:

• Angelic
    replied

Had you been at all curt with her?

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Originally posted by Angelic View Post
    My 6yr old niece called me a cu*t the other day!
    Had you been at all curt with her?

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Originally posted by alland View Post
    Oscar, if it was one of the slave cylinders leaking in a rear brake drum it would be quite easy to spot, as the brake drum turns at speed when driving the car, any leaking fluid gets thrown to the outside edges and with the amount of fluid loss you have had it would be noticeable on the brake drum back plate.

Good luck with sorting it out.
    Yep - was semi aware of that - suppose its just coincedence that its happened regards my other thread - suppose stamping on the break could have done it, but it must have been in a sorry state anyway.

Servo will be coming off tomorrow so will see then.

Leave a comment:

• alland
    replied

Confirmed my suspicions. Absolutely no evidence of a leak, nothing from the pipes. Handbrake locks on solid so assume all that fluid isnt in the drums.

Will take the servo off and dip my fingers into the drum.
    Oscar, if it was one of the slave cylinders leaking in a rear brake drum it would be quite easy to spot, as the brake drum turns at speed when driving the car, any leaking fluid gets thrown to the outside edges and with the amount of fluid loss you have had it would be noticeable on the brake drum back plate.

Good luck with sorting it out.

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Originally posted by alland View Post
    Brake fluid can only disappear for two reasons, a leak on a brake pipe of caliper, or a failed seal in the servo / master cylinder, if it is the servo, it will leak fluid into the servo "drum" so no evidence of a leak will show up.
    Confirmed my suspicions. Absolutely no evidence of a leak, nothing from the pipes. Handbrake locks on solid so assume all that fluid isnt in the drums.

Will take the servo off and dip my fingers into the drum.

Leave a comment:

• alland
    replied

Okily dokily. I know I have given advice on here before, but now I seek it.

I have a problem with my brakes (pretty sure this is not related to another thread elsewhere you may have read).

They have suddenly stopped - I say suddenly, but was more of a quick decline. Had new pipes throughout three months ago. Have checked couple of bleed nipples and fluid comes through ok. Handbrake also functions properly.

This started / appeared last night. This morning I had very little brake fluid, but was full a few days ago and there is no evidence of leaks.

If I pump the brakes with the ignotion OFF, I get pressure, which disspates when I turn the ignition ON - so I know the servo is working. Only thing I can think of now is the Master Cylinder.

Anyone got any other ideas that I can check?? - its a Peugeot 306 1.4 LX by the way.

Cheers!
    Brake fluid can only disappear for two reasons, a leak on a brake pipe of caliper, or a failed seal in the servo / master cylinder, if it is the servo, it will leak fluid into the servo "drum" so no evidence of a leak will show up.

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Originally posted by caspar View Post
    Previous post mentions you needing new tyres and now you ask if the thread should be renamed!

Terrible pun!
    Never mind this bollocks!! What about my useless brakes!

Okily dokily. I know I have given advice on here before, but now I seek it.

I have a problem with my brakes (pretty sure this is not related to another thread elsewhere you may have read).

They have suddenly stopped - I say suddenly, but was more of a quick decline. Had new pipes throughout three months ago. Have checked couple of bleed nipples and fluid comes through ok. Handbrake also functions properly.

This started / appeared last night. This morning I had very little brake fluid, but was full a few days ago and there is no evidence of leaks.

If I pump the brakes with the ignotion OFF, I get pressure, which disspates when I turn the ignition ON - so I know the servo is working. Only thing I can think of now is the Master Cylinder.

Anyone got any other ideas that I can check?? - its a Peugeot 306 1.4 LX by the way.

Cheers!
    Last edited by oscar; 19 July 2011, 16:08.

Leave a comment:

• caspar
    replied

Originally posted by Angelic View Post
    Anyone else think this thread should be re-named 'What's the latest problem with your car Angelic?' haha!
    Previous post mentions you needing new tyres and now you ask if the thread should be renamed!

Terrible pun!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X