GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jen_br
    replied
    Re: Problem with your car?

head gaskets cheap part but a biatch to fit etc they can be expensive!

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Originally posted by alland View Post
    Sorry to say Di, but it sounds like it could be a head gasket failure, your Son really needs to get it to a mechanic and checked out before it does any other damage to the engine.

Thank you hon, I did think something along those lines.

He is hoping to get a new car soon, shame he didn't do it earlier lol.

Any idea on a rough price to get a job like this done, if this is the problem (on top of your head)?

Cheers so muchly x
    Last edited by di30; 22 April 2012, 20:55.

Leave a comment:

• alland
    replied

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    Advice please.

My son rang today, he broke down in his Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI, 2003 year.
    He heard a pop, then car cut out.

Oil checked, Water Res, this did need filling, so did that, managed to get it started by a passer by with jump leads, but by the time we got it home the water res was empty "already", and it was only about 2 miles from where breaking down to getting it home.

Taken the battery out to charge as well, but the machine confirmed it was already fully charged.

Any ideas please guys?

Thank you. x
    Sorry to say Di, but it sounds like it could be a head gasket failure, your Son really needs to get it to a mechanic and checked out before it does any other damage to the engine.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Advice please.

My son rang today, he broke down in his Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI, 2003 year.
    He heard a pop, then car cut out.

Oil checked, Water Res, this did need filling, so did that, managed to get it started by a passer by with jump leads, but by the time we got it home the water res was empty "already", and it was only about 2 miles from where breaking down to getting it home.

Taken the battery out to charge as well, but the machine confirmed it was already fully charged.

Any ideas please guys?

Thank you. x

Leave a comment:

• SXGuy
    replied

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Have you never thought of using chromatography to remove the dye from red diesel?
    Didnt even know you could!

Def gonna be googling that!

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    i think a 50/50 mix sounds good, im currently using some deisel i bought about 15 years ago stored in a drum in the garage, bought it during the last fuel crisis, gotta be saving me a fortune what with todays prices, but i def wanna save some more!
    Have you never thought of using chromatography to remove the dye from red diesel?

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Bio-diesel or lipo-diesel? (link)
    ROFL never seen that article before, hey ill take whatever is cheapest!!
    I believe he was living off the fat of the land.

Leave a comment:

• SXGuy
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I have a mate that runs his van on old chip oil . All he does is collect it from the local takeaway's and filter it. The only problem he has dad is reduced fuel pump life as the cooking oil doesn't lubricate the metal pump parts as well as normal diesel. In winter he mixes it 50/50 with normal fuel.

You wouldn't want to drive at the back of him, it's not the smoke but the smell of Fish and Chips that's the problem

LOL that would make me hungry everytime i drove behind!

i think a 50/50 mix sounds good, im currently using some deisel i bought about 15 years ago stored in a drum in the garage, bought it during the last fuel crisis, gotta be saving me a fortune what with todays prices, but i def wanna save some more!

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Seriously though, really interested to know whether bio diesel would work. I understand you have to find a good source and its wise to ask for test sample to prove its quality before you buy, but i have no idea on the impact it would cause to parts, or whether some need upgrading.
    I have a mate that runs his van on old chip oil . All he does is collect it from the local takeaway's and filter it. The only problem he has dad is reduced fuel pump life as the cooking oil doesn't lubricate the metal pump parts as well as normal diesel. In winter he mixes it 50/50 with normal fuel.

You wouldn't want to drive at the back of him, it's not the smoke but the smell of Fish and Chips that's the problem

Leave a comment:

• SXGuy
    replied

Seriously though, really interested to know whether bio diesel would work. I understand you have to find a good source and its wise to ask for test sample to prove its quality before you buy, but i have no idea on the impact it would cause to parts, or whether some need upgrading.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
    Bought myself a wee runaround ... its a wee Fiat Punto
    Does it really run on wee?

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Does anyone here have an expierence with using bio deisel in a BMW 320D 06 plate? Read conflicting views all over the net.

Some say its fine providing the filters are changed every 10k miles, others say something about needed to upgrade the fuel pipes due to corrosion?
    Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 11 March 2012, 21:00.

Leave a comment:

• alland
    replied

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
    it was cheap!
    MrsD, regardless of being cheap, if it is a new generation Fiat eg. 2003 onwards it should give you good trouble free motoring.

Our road car side of the business is known locally for the service and repair of all Italian car variants, and for the most, we see very few issues with the newer Fiat range.

Unlike French crap (old or new) which we decline to get involved with...... despite the fact we could earn a very good living from the amount of work they require to keep them on the road...

Leave a comment:

• MrsD
    replied

it was cheap!

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Wheels/tyres altering the speedo is quite correct. On my evil piece of french shite, I have alloys - 14", but I think originally, it had 13" steels (my opinion is steels are better anyway).

I know my speedo is out by about 7 or 8%. When I do 70 in the car (speedo) sat nav says I am doing 65/66. Same for other speeds also.

But why the hell get a FIAT??!! They almost as bad as Renault/Peugeot/Citoen. You know fiat stands for Fix It Again, Tony

Leave a comment:

Working...
X