GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• di30
    replied
    Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Cars don't you just love them, anyone seen the pictures of my engine on my Adventures thread? So now I am selling the car on at a massive loss. After putting in another engine I now have a noisy tappet. On most cars this would be an easy job to sort, but not on this one. Last Time I buy a Sciztubishi. I had a buyer and took it to the garage he uses to be checked only for it to fail on the emission's test. I flushed the engine and did a chemical de-coke, still no different. It passed the MOT back at the end of January with no problems and was well within limits.

To put it right needs another £300 + I am taking it back to my own garage to have them check it. They are as honest as the day is long, like I said there can be a wide variation in the calibration of the equipment used by different garages. The chaps doing the test have to believe that their equipment is set correctly.

Anyway I put a for sale sign on the car at yesterdays car boot sale (there has to be a joke in this) I have dropped the price by 1/3 rd of what I was asking. I got a fair bit of interest even though I told folk what was up with it and it would need £300 or more spending on it if they wanted to get it back in top condition.

I am taking it to a chap for a test drive tomorrow evening. The best part about this is he bought my last car from me

He has had the old Jeep for over 15 months now and it hasn't given him a bit of trouble, he also knows I am straight.

I know how it feels to be ripped off, couldn't do it to anyone else.

So fingers crossed as my new car needs taxing and insuring if I am to get it on the road next month.

Regards all, Handy.

I shall have to take a nose on there soon Handy

Good luck for the test drive tomorrow, I'm sure all will be ok.

It's good to know who your dealing with, and over the years we have been ripped off, but never again, we all live and learn, I think lol.

I like a jeep, Jamie does too, a good car on the road me thinks, been in a few of them, excellent runners on the road.

Fingers crossed for you Handy and thank you for all the help.

I will of course keep you all posted here too, cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Cars don't you just love them, anyone seen the pictures of my engine on my Adventures thread? So now I am selling the car on at a massive loss. After putting in another engine I now have a noisy tappet. On most cars this would be an easy job to sort, but not on this one. Last Time I buy a Sciztubishi. I had a buyer and took it to the garage he uses to be checked only for it to fail on the emission's test. I flushed the engine and did a chemical de-coke, still no different. It passed the MOT back at the end of January with no problems and was well within limits.

To put it right needs another £300 + I am taking it back to my own garage to have them check it. They are as honest as the day is long, like I said there can be a wide variation in the calibration of the equipment used by different garages. The chaps doing the test have to believe that their equipment is set correctly.

Anyway I put a for sale sign on the car at yesterdays car boot sale (there has to be a joke in this) I have dropped the price by 1/3 rd of what I was asking. I got a fair bit of interest even though I told folk what was up with it and it would need £300 or more spending on it if they wanted to get it back in top condition.

I am taking it to a chap for a test drive tomorrow evening. The best part about this is he bought my last car from me

He has had the old Jeep for over 15 months now and it hasn't given him a bit of trouble, he also knows I am straight.

I know how it feels to be ripped off, couldn't do it to anyone else.

So fingers crossed as my new car needs taxing and insuring if I am to get it on the road next month.

Regards all, Handy.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Not that I'm aware of. I was at my local garage this morning asking them to do an emission test on my old motor. This is what fails most cars these days, but the calibration of the equipment means that one garage will fail your car but another will pass it.

Depends how much money they want to take you for. Beware cut price MOT's they are nearly always a loss leader. £54.00 I believe is the correct fee.

They are talking about making the MOT every 2 years. I along with most of the mechanics I know are against this move. Some people will only replace a headlight bulb when they get pulled or have to take their car for a test.

Can you imagine how many ill maintained (Dangerous)cars would be on the roads if they bring this in.

Regards, Handy

Thanks again for this Handy

Will be nice if Jamie can get the car back to a safe condition to part ex, the body is immaculate, shame about the other.
    I know every car can have its probs, but I have to admit - the driving he's been doing in the last few months, Newcastle in regards of his job promotion, 6 hours drive from here, and other surrounding areas of the above.

Tyres are all still fab, ok they were not cheap to start with but need to keep safe on the roads.

Oh yes, now that would be dangerous, every 2 years!! scary!

We have over the last few years taken our cars to ATS for MOT's, and will not go for cheap offers advertised, I don't trust companies that do that to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Could well have been the ignition switch to starter solenoid lead.
    Coming from the starter which is on the rear of the engine on the Corsa (if I remember correctly)there will be one thick copper wire (Battery lead) and a thin (15 amp) wire going to a spade end. This is normally hidden inside a waterproof rubber cover.

I have to say that it's a possibility.

Regards, Handy
    Dont know, all I can remember is that engine wouldnt turn over - starter motor didnt even turn, yet all lights and everything else could be/were on full, and it would start with a push.

I remember being pointed to it (the wire), got someone to look at the dash while I "wiggled" a wire behind the radiator. The dash lights would go off then on off on etc etc and you would get a "click".

Next time it failed to start I wiggled the wire a little and hey presto. Think I crimped it with pliers after a couple of days.
    Last edited by oscar; 23 April 2012, 22:22.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Coming from the starter which is on the rear of the engine on the Corsa (if I remember correctly)there will be one thick copper wire (Battery lead) and a thin (15 amp) wire going to a spade end. This is normally hidden inside a waterproof rubber cover.

Regards, Handy

Hmmm, ok so do you suggest we check this first before picking up a new battery? (just in case)?

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    MOT due in 2 months and I am aware they have gone even more stricter from this year?

Thank you.
    Not that I'm aware of. I was at my local garage this morning asking them to do an emission test on my old motor. This is what fails most cars these days, but the calibration of the equipment means that one garage will fail your car but another will pass it.

Depends how much money they want to take you for. Beware cut price MOT's they are nearly always a loss leader. £54.00 I believe is the correct fee.

They are talking about making the MOT every 2 years. I along with most of the mechanics I know are against this move. Some people will only replace a headlight bulb when they get pulled or have to take their car for a test.

Can you imagine how many ill maintained (Dangerous)cars would be on the roads if they bring this in.

Regards, Handy

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by oscar View Post
    Just thinking about it, I had that problem years ago - and all it was was a loose wire - but I cant remember where/on what the wire was - was in the engine compartment - that could eben have been the starter motor.

I remember if you left the ignition turned to on, and wiggled the wire, you could hear the click as it broke the connection and then reconnected.

Regards, Handy

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

You can get a 12V reading from a duff battery. It will require @40 - 50 Amps to turn over a 1.2 If a cell in the battery is down then you have the volts but not the current. Still the central locking should work even if you only have @ 9 volts.

The clicking you can hear is the starter solenoid. I won't get technical but if the voltage isn't high enough it won't hold the magnet in place long enough for the stater motor to turn over as the voltage will drop too fast.

Could be you are not getting enough out of the alternator to recharge the battery? but ATS should have done this as well as checked for loose connections on the Battery, Starter and Alternator. On the Corsa this would take me all of 3 minutes.

Try a local scrapyard for a new battery, our local does them for @£20 - 25 OK so he will only give you a couple of weeks guarantee But as your lad is thinking of swopping the car and it needs the head doing best to keep the costs down as much as possible.

Regards, Handy

Superb Handy

Yes that makes lots of sense.

And the fact that we could not get the actual car but just the battery itself to ATS this morning, those other tests could not be done, but you certainly made a good point here, cheers for that.

Yes he defo needs to keep the cost down, MOT due in 2 months and I am aware they have gone even more stricter from this year?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

You can get a 12V reading from a duff battery. It will require @40 - 50 Amps to turn over a 1.2 If a cell in the battery is down then you have the volts but not the current. Still the central locking should work even if you only have @ 9 volts.

The clicking you can hear is the starter solenoid. I won't get technical but if the voltage isn't high enough it won't hold the magnet in place long enough for the stater motor to turn over as the voltage will drop too fast.

Could be you are not getting enough out of the alternator to recharge the battery? but ATS should have done this as well as checked for loose connections on the Battery, Starter and Alternator. On the Corsa this would take me all of 3 minutes.

Try a local scrapyard for a new battery, our local does them for @£20 - 25 OK so he will only give you a couple of weeks guarantee But as your lad is thinking of swopping the car and it needs the head doing best to keep the costs down as much as possible.

Regards, Handy

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Just thinking about it, I had that problem years ago - and all it was was a loose wire - but I cant remember where/on what the wire was - was in the engine compartment - that could eben have been the starter motor.

I remember if you left the ignition turned to on, and wiggled the wire, you could hear the click as it broke the connection and then reconnected.

Thanks Oscar, think it then maybe a good idea to try this first in the morning before purchasing a battery and see what happens from there, cheers.

All your info folks helps lots.

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

I still think a new battery is in order, despite the ATS readings, it does seem to be the obvious signs really doesn't it? In regards of not being able to get it started, lights come on but to be honest not that bright, and when turning the key in the ignition, its just clinking.

Then on to the main problem

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Get him to lock the passenger door from inside the car, the boot and drivers door will lock manually using the key. Sounds like the battery is completely knockerd Suggestions for a cheap battery coming up soon

Thank you and sorted now.

lol

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

I would suggest petrol and matches - but his insurance is already high enough

lmao

At the moment £700 a year fully comp, something like that, but still it soon adds up

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Get him to lock the passenger door from inside the car, the boot and drivers door will lock manually using the key. Sounds like the battery is completely knockerd Suggestions for a cheap battery coming up soon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X