GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Asthma deaths report warns complacency is costing lives - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asthma deaths report warns complacency is costing lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asthma deaths report warns complacency is costing lives

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27257911

Complacency

Although deaths linked to the condition have been falling, there were 1,242 in 2012 - meaning the UK has some of the highest asthma death rates in Europe.
    Don't think a lot of people realise you can easily die from a moderate to bad asthma attack.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Asthma deaths report warns complacency is costing lives

I nearly did, so I'm a big believer in knowing the disease

problem is other people

doctors who don't listen and won't believe you know when you're losing control
    schools and stupid policies about locking up drugs ( a locked up inhaler will not save a child's life)
    even the airlines when the stuff about liquid went public wanted inhalers in your hold luggage, and if you carried it with you you had to take a puff in front of every official you passed..........................
    they all need to get a grip

Comment

Many years ago my maternal grandfather died from asthma. Many people see it as a mild inconvenience with a bit of wheezing and don't realise the full implications.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27257911

Don't think a lot of people realise you can easily die from a moderate to bad asthma attack.
        Just received this E-Mail

We wanted to make you aware of the news about to hit the headlines this morning. This news may be very sensitive to many of our supporters and so we wanted you to hear this from us first.

This morning, on World Asthma Day 2014, the most far reaching National Review of Asthma Deaths has been published. Shockingly it shows almost half of deaths could have been avoided with better routine care. It has identified prescribing errors of a horrifying scale and is a damning indictment of current routine practice. Asthma UK’s full report on these findings and what must change is available here. Sadly, the review confirms previous Asthma UK research; that far too often the 1 in 11 people who have asthma are short-changed by the system.
        Every 10 seconds someone in the UK is having a potentially life threatening asthma attack, with asthma still killing three people each day. Asthma UK’s goal is to prevent asthma attacks, especially those that result in death and emergency hospitalisation. We are striving to reduce asthma deaths to below the European average and see that no child dies of asthma in the UK.

We need leadership at every tier of the NHS across the UK to challenge the complacency about asthma and prevent life threatening asthma attacks. If you haven’t already, please sign up for our Campaign Network to join us in the fight for world class asthma care.

The review found that even people with mild asthma are at risk of a serious asthma attack and reinforces the need for vigilance in managing your - or your child’s - asthma especially if you’ve recently had an attack, been in hospital or if your asthma is waking you at night.

Take two minutes now to visit Asthma UK’s website and take the first step to reducing your risk.

This report is a once in a generation opportunity to ensure asthma finally gets taken seriously; we will not rest until that is achieved.

Thank you once again for your continued support.

Kay Boycott, Chief Executive
        Asthma UK

Comment

As a small child I had TB, then when I got older I caught bronchitis and whooping cough together, they left me with a very weak chest, so someone who has that combined with Asthma I am only too aware of how bad it can be. Oh and yes I was very naughty and started smoking aged 14, had a 30 a day habit up till ten years ago, now I cannot stand being anywhere near smoke and those bloody e-ciggies smell even worse.

Comment

So scary!

Asthma runs in my family, and me and my youngest have it, take steroid inhalers and relievers.

Comment

My mother has COPD an advanced form of Asthma, and she suffers with very sever attacks and breathing difficulties. More needs to be done to help prevent it.

TibetanMonk
              On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Comment

My poor beloved dad (miss him so very much) also had COPD/emphysema due to working in the coal mines, he was given oxygen for a number of years, ended up on a permanent oxy concentrator 24/7 as well as many inhalers and steroids and nebulisers, he was prone to getting pneumonia, that was what finished him off in July 2010, he had just turned 69 years old, the condition was awful, the asthma as well as COPD.

My sister, who has never smoked, also has COPD, and prone to getting pneumonia, infact as a baby she had pneumonia as well as bacterial meningitis, then diagnosed with asthma, she is very lucky to still be here, but as well as many inhalers, she also had a nebuliser. She has a tendency to flake out often too, not good.

My youngest was diagnosed with Chronic Asthma before the age of one, it wasnt easy, we have all learnt to live with it and control it the best we can, as with my asthma is controlled but not as bad as his or other members of my family.

Damn Asthma!!

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                  My poor beloved dad (miss him so very much) also had COPD/emphysema due to working in the coal mines, he was given oxygen for a number of years, ended up on a permanent oxy concentrator 24/7 as well as many inhalers and steroids and nebulisers, he was prone to getting pneumonia, that was what finished him off in July 2010, he had just turned 69 years old, the condition was awful, the asthma as well as COPD.

My sister, who has never smoked, also has COPD, and prone to getting pneumonia, infact as a baby she had pneumonia as well as bacterial meningitis, then diagnosed with asthma, she is very lucky to still be here, but as well as many inhalers, she also had a nebuliser. She has a tendency to flake out often too, not good.

My youngest was diagnosed with Chronic Asthma before the age of one, it wasnt easy, we have all learnt to live with it and control it the best we can, as with my asthma is controlled but not as bad as his or other members of my family.

Damn Asthma!!
                  The worst thing for me is not the COPD itself, but me knowing I can't do anything to stop it completely.

TibetanMonk
                  On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by TibetanMonk View Post
                    The worst thing for me is not the COPD itself, but me knowing I can't do anything to stop it completely.
                    So true, we feel so helpless. Sending my love to your poor mum, and I so feel for you too x

Comment

Working...
                    X