GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Anyone here had a thyroidectomy? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here had a thyroidectomy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here had a thyroidectomy?

I was just wondering if anyone was able to share their post-op symptoms and feelings. I had an op. around 10 years ago and have to take meds. every day for the rest of my life.

I am ok most of the time but other times, feel like complete shyte...

Could just be Life, of course.....
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Anyone here had a thyroidectomy?

Just updating this in case it helps someone....

I went to see my GP this morning, mainly because my skin isn't brilliant at the moment and I can't understand why.

It turns out that this is linked to the thyroid as well.... and that, although doctors frequently test for thyroid function, they don't tend to differentiate between two hormones; T3 and T4. Doctors assume that T4 is converted into T3 but this is not always the case. T3 regulates other things and in my case, has been overlooked. I had a long chat with my GP this morning about this, having read up about it online.

Also, my last thyroid test (in May) showed that I was hypo again but no-one thought of telling me, so I've been under-treated for the last 3 months, which explains one helluva lot in terms of feeling shattered most of the time and not being able to lose weight!!

Blood test this week then.... for T3 and T4 this time... and cholesterol, which is also effected.

I am determined to get this sorted....
    Remember the mantra:

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Mother in law has no thryroid, appears never to have had one at any time. But she still experiences over active thryroid symptoms off and on and has real trouble regulating the salt content of her body which is apparently related in some way. She takes thryroxine and has ended up in hospital a couple of times, it drives me mad, as the doctors all look see she has no thryroid and instantly erase it from their minds, then they footer about trying to find something else.

I think the thyroid is a very complicated gland and I'm not sure the medical profession have all the answers, or maybe we've just been unlucky 8 or 9 times!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
        Mother in law has no thryroid, appears never to have had one at any time. But she still experiences over active thryroid symptoms off and on and has real trouble regulating the salt content of her body which is apparently related in some way. She takes thryroxine and has ended up in hospital a couple of times, it drives me mad, as the doctors all look see she has no thryroid and instantly erase it from their minds, then they footer about trying to find something else.

I think the thyroid is a very complicated gland and I'm not sure the medical profession have all the answers, or maybe we've just been unlucky 8 or 9 times!!!
        She's never had a thyroid?! Crikey!!

It is complicated, yes. People have different symptoms and that's half the problem. It might be worth raising the T3/T4 issue with your MIL's GP because no-one ever told me about it; I read about it on the internet after 10 years!

Apparently, it's linked to depression and all sorts as well... I'm not depressed but can remember my own Mum being very depressed at times...
        Remember the mantra:

Comment

she doesn't get depressed, she gets very compliant and agrees with whatever they say instead of saying actually you're wrong you plonker

Me or my Sil have to go and tell them they're plonkers, gets wearing after a while.

it just amazes me that there appears never to have been one and they only discovered this when she was 44 and having a hysterectomy.

She's 82 now and just wants a quiet life with no experiments

Comment

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
            she doesn't get depressed, she gets very compliant and agrees with whatever they say instead of saying actually you're wrong you plonker

Me or my Sil have to go and tell them they're plonkers, gets wearing after a while.

it just amazes me that there appears never to have been one and they only discovered this when she was 44 and having a hysterectomy.

She's 82 now and just wants a quiet life with no experiments
            Well.... the GP told me this morning that thyroid function is controlled by the brain and not the gland itself..... which just adds to the confusion really.....

Bless her.... at 82, I think they should leave her in peace now too. She's a bit of a miracle in my eyes....
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

at least your GP admits it's tricky, big step forward there I think.................

Comment

That's the problem with meds, normally your body varies what you need according to demand, eg when under stress, hormonal issues etc etc, so a set dose can end up being too high or too low at different times of life, as you get older etc.

Hope you get it sorted soon P1...and your mum-in-law Mrs D.

Comment

Just updating this thread....

After years of being treated with Levothyroxine, I recently arranged to see a private consultant through my work's health plan, who listened to my concerns, noted my symptoms and prescribed what I should have had in the first place (in my opinion). I am now on Levothyronine (T3), as well as a reduced dose of Levothyroxine and am beginning to feel much better. :-)

The consultant also picked up an anomaly from blood tests that my GP had missed and wrote to the GP requesting that I have a scan..... the result of which showed a large fibroid (9cm x 7cm).

So.... I have now been referred to a gynae to see what my options are.... but am led to believe that there are now alternatives to having a hysterectomy, which sounds a lot better.
                  Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                  X