GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Import "Gift" tax - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import "Gift" tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import "Gift" tax

I have just recently been informed that a family friend (living in the USA) have sent over a brand-new lap top (not cheap), this is a late birthday pressie for my disabled/son with special needs.

I was sent the American "USPS" tracking number and it was in clearance since last week.

I checked this morning and now it says, they are holding the item, this is what is states - top info is the most recent.........(Below)

I am so worried about this as I seem to think it maybe duty/VAT/custom charges, and I know it was a laptop that was not cheap, any thoughts please thank you.

Priority Mail International Parcels

Payment of charges - Item being held, addressee being notified

March 19, 2013, 8:53 am

GREAT BRITAIN

International Parcels

Arrival at Post Office

March 18, 2013, 11:59 pm

GREAT BRITAIN

Customs clearance processing complete

March 18, 2013, 5:03 am

GREAT BRITAIN

Customs Clearance

March 13, 2013, 9:19 am

GREAT BRITAIN

Customs Clearance

March 13, 2013, 9:18 am

GREAT BRITAIN

Processed Through Sort Facility

March 13, 2013, 9:17 am

GREAT BRITAIN

Processed Through Sort Facility

March 08, 2013, 4:00 pm

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Arrived at Sort Facility

March 08, 2013, 3:40 pm

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Dispatched to Sort Facility

March 07, 2013, 6:13 pm

WEST LAFAYETTE, IN 47906

Acceptance

March 07, 2013, 3:01 pm

WEST LAFAYETTE, IN 47906

Electronic Shipping Info Received

March 07, 2013

Re: Import "Gift" tax

underpayment of carriage possible Di? If not, not sure how you would get around the duty off the top of my head. I know people have been caught buying stuff they believe to be far cheaper only to incur expensive duty. nightmare really.
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yea royal mail will ask for the difference in postage payment, so you will get carded and asked to pay postage shortage - I get these all the time from items ordered in China...

If customs have stopped it, then you used to get notified by them directly, however they can also give it to parcelforce to collect any fee so best to wait till they try and deliver, tomorrow I'd say...
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Is it me, or is it pot luck sometimes?
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
          Is it me, or is it pot luck sometimes?
          Always have them fill in customs declaration as a "gift" which allows it to go through.... I bought my last Rolex (not a feckin fake either ) from Asia and had it shipped via customs, was dreading the customs tax but went through no worries, just had to pay parcelforce around £11 for the excess duty (carriage duty)
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you. In the past they have sent big huge boxed items, all little things and we have not been charged.

With it being a brand new laptop (Gift) that we never asked for, they done it out of the goodness of their hearts for my son's pressie, I am grateful but afraid of the excessive charges.

The business holding them are not easy to get hold of either, so I assume going by what they said with item being held because of payment charges maybe because they are not exempt of taxes etc??
            totally not sure.

This is the latest info here when putting in the tracking number......

Your Item's Status Your item could not be delivered on March 19, 2013 at 8:53 am in GREAT BRITAIN due to payment of charges. It is being held while the addressee is notified.

As you will see from the above posts, it does say it had gone through clearance until now??
            Last edited by di30; 19 March 2013, 15:04.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
              Your Item's Status Your item could not be delivered on March 19, 2013 at 8:53 am in GREAT BRITAIN due to payment of charges. It is being held while the addressee is notified.
              Yea so you should get a card - and/or some other notification.

Can you clarify, who is holding it? Parcelforce..?

Comment

fingers crossed its just a few quid difference of carraige Di

Comment

Not sure Nids.......
                  It just says held in GB post office and the most recent International Parcels?? (Sent from US by USPS).

Yes lets hope Missy x

Comment

If Parcelforce - from my last holding item (a £600 "gift" ) - see below

Import VAT £9.69
                    Admin fee £8.00

Total £17.69
                    Parcelforce deal with all USPS (United States Postal Service) held items, so ring Parcelforce and they should clarify but they will write to you anyway.....

If it is duty you need to pay then check this out

--> Calculate your import duty in a few quick steps for free | DutyCalculator

Good luck, start with parcelforce and give the tracking number --> Parcelforce Worldwide - International and UK parcel delivery service

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      I bought my last Rolex (not a feckin fake either ) from Asia
                      Yeah it is
                      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                        Yeah it is
                        I bitch slap you wumman....

Comment

Thank you and will do ;-)

I may just be hoping but it does state it went through "customs clearance and processing complete" on the 18 March, so yesterday, as it states this I wonder if that means no duty, and maybe it is the fees as you said Niddy.

Otherwise wouldnt it have not gone through customs?? (Confused.com) lol, cheers.

Wishing thinking........ ;-/

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                            Yeah it is
                            lol. Are you saying Rolex+Asia=Fake

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
                              lol. Are you saying Rolex+Asia=Fake
                              No not fake.....just made in Hong Kong

Comment

Working...
                              X