GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Import "Gift" tax - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import "Gift" tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Import "Gift" tax

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    WOW!!! the laptop they are sending my son is an Apple Mac Pro Air!!! The new one's out now! 13inch!

Now if that was chargeable on the duty, goodness knows what the charges would be??? Scary.
    ring them and ask!
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

So what is it you are saying Nids, cos it ain't clear
      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Boll-ock-s
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Niddy LOL!!!!

Will have to try again tomorrow if nothing heard by then, will give them until mid day.

Did you receive a letter in the post to let you know of your charges before they sent your held item?

Found this here too.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_c...ty-free-items/

Comment

Yea I got a card (like missed delivery)...

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Yea I got a card (like missed delivery)...
              Oh right, so this is what should be coming in my post then I assume? (but with details of charges etc)?

Comment

Had I been in I'd have paid the driver and he'd hand me goods.
                I was out so got carded

Comment

Ooops that was from china post via Royal Mail though so slightly different as you pay a postie. Parcelforce may need payment pre-delivery

Comment

That's what I thought Nids, cos I have been here and with the reason of holding the item is because they are awaiting payment from addressee, so look like they are sending that out in post first.

No worries

Comment

Just found this below as well, am confused again though
                      If there's no duty to pay then there will be no handling fees, so what fees/charges will I be paying then? (if laptops are exempt from paying duty)? hmmmmm

Royal Mail/Parcelforce handling fees

If duty and/or tax is payable, Royal Mail/Parcelforce will pay this to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) on your behalf, and charge a handling fee to cover:
                      • operating the postal customs depot
                      • handling the package for customs examination
                      • opening, repacking and resealing the package if required
                      • paying the charges to HMRC on your behalf
                      Note that if there is no duty and/or tax to pay, you won't be charged a handling fee.

They'll write to you letting you know how much you need to pay, and the available payment methods. The customs charges and handling fee are itemised separately on the charge label.

If you have any queries about the handling fee you should raise these directly with Royal Mail/Parcelforce - these charges are entirely separate from any tax and/or duty charges, and the UK Border Agency (UKBA) and HMRC have no control on the charges it makes.
                      If you have any queries about the customs charges you should contact the UKBA - see the section below ‘Questions about the tax and/or duty you’ve been charged?’

Once payment has been received, you'll be able to request delivery of your package, or pick it up from your local delivery office.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/paying-tax.htm

Comment

Ok, I am a worrier.

Elsa, do you have a UK link to where it says laptops are duty free please?
                        Cheers hun x

Does this apply to me below? it also mentions gift and the amount has to be paid..........

Why are Customs interested in my parcel?

UK Border Agency controls all goods entering or leaving the EU. Under law, Parcelforce Worldwide needs to make Customs aware of any parcels above the minimum value of £15 for commercial items and £36 for gifts between private individuals. (Please note that for outside of EU postings, the minimum value includes postage costs).
                        Also, Customs can choose to view any parcels including those containing prohibited or suspicious items.

From this site here.......

http://www.parcelforce.com/help-info...ions/customs#5

Comment

Does an expensive watch have the same meaning as a big car?

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                            Ok, I am a worrier.

Elsa, do you have a UK link to where it says laptops are duty free please?
                            Cheers hun x

Does this apply to me below? it also mentions gift and the amount has to be paid..........

Why are Customs interested in my parcel?

UK Border Agency controls all goods entering or leaving the EU. Under law, Parcelforce Worldwide needs to make Customs aware of any parcels above the minimum value of £15 for commercial items and £36 for gifts between private individuals. (Please note that for outside of EU postings, the minimum value includes postage costs).
                            Also, Customs can choose to view any parcels including those containing prohibited or suspicious items.

From this site here.......

http://www.parcelforce.com/help-info...ions/customs#5
                            Chill FFS and ring them woman!!

It's pointless guessing, absolutely pointless. If this lappy is a top end MacBook pro thing then even £100 is worth paying

Comment

I agree..ring them. You do need to chase them as a few years ago I imported a guitar for my son and they sat on it for ages without letting me know.

Here's an example calculation showing zero excise duty:
                              Example calculation - import taxes for a laptop, iPhone and camera - DutyCalculator Help Center

but the bad new is that you'll have to pay 20% VAT on total cost of item + shipping and handling

Comment

Def ring them, i got a white PSP from japan years ago, before they were out here, they stopped my parcel because there was duty to pay, i got a card, had to pay the duty and they released the item.

You need to ring them and find out the score, why sit there guessing, doesnt acheive anything.
                                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                                X