GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Redundancy entitlement ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redundancy entitlement ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy entitlement ?

Not sure if anyone can answer this...but here goes...

My daughter is being made redundant after working 8 years for a company, lately part time but currently is on maternity leave.

She's been told the termination will be 1st January 2015, but has meantime been looking for work elsewhere...

Now she has the offer of a job from a new firm but the question is, will she lose her entitlement to redundancy pay by leaving early ?

Her current employers say she will lose her entitlement, but I'm not so sure...I have read she 'may' still be entitled and to contact her Union or CAB.
    She has spoken to CAB but they don't really have any proper advice to give.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction or give any advice ?

Re: Redundancy entitlement ?

tastyjaneAAD Employment Expert

​tastyjane should pick this up in a day or two, if she doesn't just give it a bump
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

thanks deepie...It seems that as she has not received her official 8 weeks notice of redundancy letter that she does not have an entitlement to redundancy when leaving before then.. In the end it makes no difference as a job is a job and better that than ending up on the dole next January..would just have been 'nice' if she could have walked away with some compensation..

Comment

Wow long consultation process! I'm afraid it's a no in my opinion, she's not actually in the consultation process at the moment, it sounds like the company is just keeping them informed of future likelihood. A good way to decrease a workforce without payments as the good ones will start looking for jobs now!

Great at news that she has secured a new job already though.

Jane x

Comment

Originally posted by tastyjane View Post
          Wow long consultation process! I'm afraid it's a no in my opinion, she's not actually in the consultation process at the moment, it sounds like the company is just keeping them informed of future likelihood. A good way to decrease a workforce without payments as the good ones will start looking for jobs now!

Great at news that she has secured a new job already though.

Jane x
          Am sure you're right Jane, most of her department will be leaving before jan 1st if they get jobs, you can't just hang on unless you can get a delayed start date from a new employer..As I pointed out to my daughter, she will earn more than the redundancy pay before jan 1st with her new employer and without any worry about finding a job, so just move on and enjoy being 'chilled'.,,she has child care to sort out and part time study to fit in and the new employer is sympathetic to her needs, so it resolves a lot of other issues too.

Comment

Working...
          X