GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Stupid HR! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid HR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid HR!

I left work early last week, suffering from fuzzy head, earache and generally feeling crap! I was off for a day and half, first absence in 2 years. My line manager has to let HR know I'm off, when I'm back and the reason I was absent. Thing is on my file, HR have put my absence down to 'mental health or nervous disorder - dizzy spells' - I'm bloody raging! According to them this is the most relevant option they could chose as it's from a drop down box! I probably sound really petty but I want it changed, before this employment many moons ago I did suffer mental health, and I want to use that experience, to apply for internal vacancies helping others that are going through what I went through. But with a recent absence for 'mental health' reasons I wouldn't even get an interview! Any advice?

Re: Stupid HR!

I'll ask TastyJane to pop in for you.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, I should mention my line manager is in agreement with me, and has been copying me into the emails she has sent to try and sort it.

Comment

An inner ear infection is a mental health condition now?? Jeeze... I've heard it all now..

hope you can sort it.

Ask HR what software they use and then contact the coders and ask them to change the drop down to include either an 'Other' option or one that fits with having a head-cold rather than a breakdown!

Comment

Hi, sorry got tied up in work! OK, well this is rubbish - I have never worked with a system that doesn't have a box to enter cause, it is important when you are handling absence within the workplace to have a true and accurate record. I would ask them to see a print out of your record from the electronic system - this will show you if they are using drop down boxes. I would write direct to your HR department and copy your manager in, state that you feel that the explanation they have recorded is unfair and not a true representation of the illness you were suffering. State what was actually wrong (inner ear infection etc) and ask that they change their record and provide you will a copy to show it has been done. If you want me to take a look at what you are going to send over please feel free to pm me. Jane x

Comment

I know, it sounds completely ridiculous and after lengthy arguments again today via email, they still won't budge. Apparently it's to do with definitions recognised from World Health Organisation?! Apparently the same reason would be used if absent because of a migraine, they gave other examples as well but I can't remember but they were equally bizarre. At one stage today I was going to complain about breaching DPA as it's not accurate, I was just so mad. I very nearly went home today with mental health issues!!

I get full read only access to my HR file, so I can see its definitely chosen from a drop down, but I cannot see what the other options would be and they won't tell me either.

The person I've been dealing with at HR is just an admin support, so I think I will need to write them up a formal email, but this time send it to someone above him and see what they say.

Thanks Jane

Comment

What a load of tosh - I would definitely write to the HR Director and point out the facts - you went to work became unwell, earache, dizziness etc - was off work for 3 days and returned to full duties. Explain you do not have any issues or prejudice around any mental health issues but in fact you were unwell (I am not sure if you had an infection diagnosed or not) if you did state it was a ear infection or a virus if not, and that you are requesting that they change your absence record to reflect that. I would give them a timescale, 7 days would be reasonable, and ask for a printed copy of the data to confirm the changes have been made. Jane x

Comment

Totally what Jane said!!

Apparently it's to do with definitions recognised from World Health Organisation
                Total and utter cat crap!

WHO do not class an ear infection as a mental health issue or a nervous disorder. it's as ridiculous as saying you were off with a Sexually Transmitted Disease after maternity leave!!

I'd be just as irritated and frustrated as you had I seen that on my form and even more so knowing that are spinning you a line of rubbish. The consequences of an erroneous entry could have far wider reaching complications and knock on effects... as you've already pointed out you wish to apply for a role that should this entry be seen would or could mean you wouldn't even be considered for an interview let alone application process...

bad show on their part... I wouldn't be surprised if other peoples files were looked into more erros didn't pop up. Sounds like they need an independent body to dig about and check up on them.

Comment

Originally posted by patchouli View Post
                  Totally what Jane said!!

Total and utter cat crap!

WHO do not class an ear infection as a mental health issue or a nervous disorder. it's as ridiculous as saying you were off with a Sexually Transmitted Disease after maternity leave!!

I'd be just as irritated and frustrated as you had I seen that on my form and even more so knowing that are spinning you a line of rubbish. The consequences of an erroneous entry could have far wider reaching complications and knock on effects... as you've already pointed out you wish to apply for a role that should this entry be seen would or could mean you wouldn't even be considered for an interview let alone application process...

bad show on their part... I wouldn't be surprised if other peoples files were looked into more erros didn't pop up. Sounds like they need an independent body to dig about and check up on them.
                  Totally agree, thing is it's only recently they have given us employees access to our absence records, in fact I'm sure the majority of staff wouldn't even know how to check it! I'm just extremely nosy at work!!

I have emailed one of the heads today in a last ditch attempt to get it amended before I really spit out the dummy.

Comment

LOL no HR software provider would not allow the ability to add a new classification to a reason for absence. And even if they didn't, which is doubtful, one call to the software team and it would be added.

I would rather hedge a bet and say the person at HR just doesn't know what they are talking about
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I would agree with the others, there is no way an HR Department would record your absence as a mental health condition...nor would they have no other suitable options available to record reasons for absence, if this is how they are recording them then their stats for absence relating to stress/mental illness etc must be astronomical!! Definitely write an email (so you have evidence of your conversation - just in case!) to the HR Manager/Business Partner/Director, copy in your manager and confirm the reason for your recent absence and the number of days you were off work, I imagine you completed a self cert and possibly a return to work interview with your manager when you returned too so if you can scan those in and attach to your email then that will also provide confirmation of the details for the senior HR person to review, as tastyjane said you can state that your issue here is a complete misrepresentation of your brief period of absence and you would like this to be amended to something more fitting of the actual illness and you want confirmation of what is has been changed to and when your record has been amended.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon!
                      Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Well I finally got it changed to viral/infection which is way more appropriate Get the impression that HR and some of my other colleagues don't know what all the fuss was about, but I'm glad I stuck to it.

Comment

That's ridiculous!
                          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Loopyloo View Post
                            Well I finally got it changed to viral/infection which is way more appropriate Get the impression that HR and some of my other colleagues don't know what all the fuss was about, but I'm glad I stuck to it.
                            That's more like it!! Well done!
                            Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Well done I actually believe it's quite important to get background information right.

Jane x

Comment

Working...
                              X