GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Getting household contents insurance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting household contents insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting household contents insurance

Our household insurance is up for renewal, but in the last 2 years we've had 2 stolen mobiles and 1 broken one and we are having problems getting any cover. I know we are going to have to pay extra, but any ideas where we could get cover?
    Thanks
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Getting household contents insurance

Hastings direct are pretty cheap and good too.

Our car went from £700 pa to £260 pa. did you claim for mobiles from contents insurance? If so that's silly. Not worth it nowadays - cheaper to buy a new phone on eBay, all things considered. If anything get a phone policy but you should never claim that under personal possession/acc damage as the long term cost implication will outweigh any payout. Good luck
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately didn't realise until too late! Trouble was they were expensive phones on contract etc etc etc

Will try Hastings.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Top end phone - iPhone 5 on eBay @ £250.

Insurance claims will always risk a 15-37% increase per claim. It's food for thought in future.

I'd stop using phones cos clearly you don't get on well together lol. Sorry just trying to lighten the mood

You should be ok but like you say might have to pay a bit more. Assuming Hastings home policies are a good 50% cheaper than most others like their car policy is; the added extra may not even be noticed if they'll take the risk. Remember each time you apply for insurance and get declined it updates the central insurance database and when you go for a new quote elsewhere they do ask if you've been refused insurance before.

To beat it you can get another adult that is resident to insure it so for example a grown child

It's the property being assessed not necessarily the person asking for insurance (think landlords)..
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Try using topcashback Cym. The cashback you receive will offset any increase in premium (you can get a quote from Hastings on there)
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Food for thought, all policies have been in my name.........thank you Niddy. It's looking like OH is going to have to be involved in household things!

Don't worry about trying to lighten the mood. OH was pick pocketed, son was abroad and my father was dying and my phone was broken by our dog!!! A bit careless as we've never had any problems with phones before! Plus OH doesn't trust ebay for electrical things.

An expensive lesson.

Comment

Working...
            X