GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Unemployed Car insurance (22yr old) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unemployed Car insurance (22yr old)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployed Car insurance (22yr old)

Anyone know of any insurance companies that will insure me for less than 2.5k?

or at least give me some better quotes.
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Re: Unemployed Car insurance (22yr old)

does anyone believe that it would be wrong for me to put househusband on car insurance job form even though im unemployed (albeit (hopefully) only short term)

Difference in Quotes is around 1.7k
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

also the other thing is can i add my mum to the policy even though we dont live together?

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
        does anyone believe that it would be wrong for me to put househusband on car insurance job form even though I'm unemployed (albeit (hopefully) only short term)

Difference in Quotes is around 1.7k
        If you are a house husband, it's not a problem. If your not it's insurance fraud and if you get caught it's not a good thing. Also you can put anybody you fancy on the policy and putting your mum should reduce your premium.

Comment

i thought the youngest driver is considered when the insurance quote is given? i.e doesnt matter who you stick on the policy, they will take the youngest, less expierenced driver to work out the amount to pay? thats what id always thought anyway.

Just to add, yes it is fraud to lie about your job, but, there is no way of them knowing whether its true or not, and personally cant see how they would ever find out.

Myself personally, im self employed, i do various types of jobs in my accountancy firm, each one would be considered as a seperate job role had i been employed.

I therefore take the decision of picking one which gives me the best value for money.

This is obviously not fraud as i do all these jobs, however, i would prob risk lying.

I say "I" would, i obviously cant tell you to do the same.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
            give me some better quotes.
            (link)

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
              Just to add, yes it is fraud to lie about your job, but, there is no way of them knowing whether its true or not, and personally cant see how they would ever find out.
              If one were a gigolo, would it be an untruth to call oneself a self employed personal consultant?

Comment

i thought the youngest driver is considered when the insurance quote is given? i.e doesn't matter who you stick on the policy, they will take the youngest, less experienced driver to work out the amount to pay? thats what id always thought anyway.

Myself personally, I'm self employed, i do various types of jobs in my accountancy firm, each one would be considered as a separate job role had i been employed.

I therefore take the decision of picking one which gives me the best value for money.

This is obviously not fraud as i do all these jobs, however, i would prob risk lying.

I say "I" would, i obviously cant tell you to do the same.
                You are correct in the main loading is on the younger driver, but from a risk perspective have a older driver on the policy lowers the overall rating. I've seen it make a couple of hundred pounds difference.

As yes you can lie and they may never find out, but I wouldn't do it because as I said before it's fraud.
                Last edited by mgfboy; 19 June 2012, 10:52.

Comment

I am 2 and a half years older than hubby and it's my age even though I'm female that reduces our insurance.

On my sons car, so that he does not lose out on his no claims, my hubby is his 2nd driver to help keep my son's insurance down, fully comp too.

Comment

Well i stand corrected then, perhaps its changed in recent years but when i first started driving at 17, i was told by insurance companies that it didnt matter who was named driver they would take the youngest or less expierenced driver to determine the amount payable.
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

You're probably less winsome than Di is.

Comment

Well i stand corrected then, perhaps its changed in recent years but when i first started driving at 17, i was told by insurance companies that it didn't matter who was named driver they would take the youngest or less experienced driver to determine the amount payable.
                        I think you missed my point, age of the main driver is the main thing they take into account , but not the only thing. Things like smoking status, if your married and have kid, homeowner these all have any effect.

If memory serves the last time I underwrote a policy manually it went something like this

Bases premium
                        car type
                        postcode
                        use
                        history
                        length of license
                        mileage pa

This was for a classic car policy and all the above added or subtracted from the base premium. On a normal car policy the algorithm is much more complex!!!!

Comment

I've been driving for thirty years without a claim. Last year my premium was reduced by about £50 for adding my wife.

My wife has a provisional licence and is 10 years older than me. She would be deadly behind a wheel, and hasn't driven since failing her test again twenty odd years ago.

Who is the greater risk? It makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                            I've been driving for thirty years without a claim. Last year my premium was reduced by about £50 for adding my wife.

My wife has a provisional licence and is 10 years older than me. She would be deadly behind a wheel, and hasn't driven since failing her test again twenty odd years ago.

Who is the greater risk? It makes no sense.
                            It's all down to statistic and actuaries, remember they not looking at your wife, they are looking at all women of her age that drive.

Comment

Working...
                            X