GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bank of Scotland credit card help - AAD Consumer Forum


No announcement yet.

Bank of Scotland credit card help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bank of Scotland credit card help

    I am going to go and try and speak to them in the branch tomorrow but I wanted some advice first and this seemed like a good site to start with and speak to other people. I should also say I called them tonight to explain the situation but it did not go well at all. I just want advice from others in my situation or things I can bring up in person tomorrow.

    I owe £2,077 on my Bank Of Scotland credit card. Up until the last few months this was around £50 and I would pay between £55 and £60 on it so that it was more than the minimum payment but this month the minimum payment is £74 so it's a big jump for me. I have just over £3000 on my Bank of Scotland current account and this is where things get a little tricky.

    My Mum passed away 3 and a half years ago now and at the time it was a shock, it was not expected and my family did not have the money to cover those costs and it was through extended family helping out that we managed to clear it. I only had maybe £300 to my name. When that happened I became my Dad's full time carer, my Dad moved into a smaller house and I moved in too and for the past 3 years or so I have been caring for him. The reason I have that money in my current account is my Dad is worried that if the same thing happens to him, I will be left alone and wont be able to pay it and he doesn't trust himself with his own bank card. Because I am caring for him I get Income Support at £40 per week and Carer's Allowance at £62 per week. Obviously all the bills are shared and I do the shopping and get everything we need but he gives me the cash from his account of £62 for whatever we need, sometimes we need more than that, sometimes less but for all that time he gives me the cash and that £62 stays in my account. I have never touched it, I never will and I personally am no better off than what I was 3 and a half years ago. When there is enough there my Dad wants that money to be paid into a plan so that he is taken care of should anything happen. I still have that £300 to my name and still pay the bills and expenses off the income I get.

    The problem is the bank understanding this. Explaining that even though it's my current account that this money isn't mine. My Dad wants that in my account because he doesn't trust himself and knows me having it there means it's safe. I said to them tonight I think £74 is a lot and they recommend I be paying at least £100 per month. They said defaulting the card is an option. I kept asking is there no other solution. I can't clear it off or pay £1000 or £500 cause it's not my money. I'm doing it as a favour to my Dad. It's in my account because i'm the only person he trusts, I've no right to do anytihng with it but at the same time I know what it costs to live and for us to live here and I don't know if I can keep doing it. I asked for an interest free period or a reduction in the minimum payment and they never said it was an option at all. I can't work full time or part time because I'm caring for my Dad all the time so I'm stuck there.

    I just don't know what to do. Does anyone have any idea what to do? And because I'm not working I can't even get another card that has maybe 36 months interest free on it and do a balance transfer and then pay it off interest free that way. They even told me on the phone that the last time the card was used was 4 years ago which is true, I don't use it, i don't even know what the pin number is. I'm just trying my best to clear it at the pace I can clear it at. Is there anything I can say to them in the branch or any options that might be available to me? Thanks for any advice given.

  • #2
    Re: Bank of Scotland credit card help

    You need to open a new account and move that money out. Stick it in an isa or something in a different bank. Don't talk to the bank, put everything in writing only. You can then ask them to freeze interest and if you want go down the UE route. I'm sure someone will be along to give you advice, but the first thing I would do is to get the money out of that account.

    if you are interested in following the UE route, have a read through some diaries.