GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Originally posted by in 2 deep View Post
    Just noticed your logged on Should'nt you be working
    Even Lady Hooray has heard of a Tea Break, besides she's out for the Morning

Dinner time now, time to feed the muscle that does no work.

Regards, Handy
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Lady Hooray needs to get onto one of her Lord's and get the conspiracy off my case and the cameras out of my house

Simple

SC

Comment

Hi all, Well the end of another day here at the Hall. Time to sit for a minute with a cold beer and gather my thoughts.

It's been a hard week so far, thank goodness tomorrows Friday.

So far this week I have planted trees, cut trees down weeded, sprayed and pruned.

The Tree Surgeon Lady Hooray had in last week has left me a right mess to clean up as well as his apprentice wrecking my little tractor. For 2 days work he charged what I get paid for 2 weeks work.

He was employed because her Ladyship thinks I butcher things. I have never yet damaged anything by pruning.

The Girl who comes to help in the Garden one morning each week took one look at the apple trees and asked who had murdered them.

When Lady H told her who it was and that she had met him at the local garden centre, she told her that this chap has the worst reputation in the area for being a cowboy.

I didn't know his reputation, but I could tell within minutes that he wasn't very good, but you see this chap speaks with a plum in his mouth. His family were landed gentry, he's ex public school so that means in the Hooray's world that he must be a thoroughly decent chap

He did me one favour though. When telling Lady H about the property his family used to own, he said we had 1 full and 2 part time gardeners and my brother and ones self were expected to help out. The Garden was only half the size of yours, I really do not know how Handy copes on his own.

So much of what he said was Bull, because he was touting for more work, but at least it's got her Ladyship thinking.

I'm late here again because I have just finished fitting new bath taps and sealing around the tiles. I have been meaning to do this little job for the last 5 years

The plumbing is in the eaves at the back of the bath and it's full of fibre glass insulation, at the moment I'm itching worse than a Cat with Fleas.

Here's hoping that the spare parts for the Tractor and Mower turn up tomorrow so I can get some grass cut.

At the moment we are going into Bullshine mode getting ready for the Hunt breakfast next month.

Everything has to be perfect. A sign of the times though she wants me to go to Liddles to get the Scotch and Port for the Stirrup cups. Not a bad idea as most of them are that pickled before they set off you could serve meths and paint stripper and they wouldn't notice.

Well that's us for now, I could go on but I don't want to bore you too much.

Regards to all, Handy
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

Well the printer died on me yesterday...

Fortunately the meds worked on Wednesday night (yes, I eventually took them )...so now back to normal bar the new printer that has had so many probs...

For example just now it had a paper jam (despite being £100 printer it says it is out of paper when actually it has a paper jam)....Pulled it off the side (it's quite heavy despite having thinner plastic than a credit card LOL) and found the jam...Only managed to pull the scanner cover off in the process - eek....So 5 mins praying to get it on again. Success

Lovely printer. Just wish it wasn't so flimsy. So much for saying it can do double sided auto. Not on this mac to date so far ...

At least I can print off my tickets for my wee trek next month now (well the codes for the train tickets).....all £12 of them and my tickets for Ma's...think in future though seeing as I can't find the auto double sided on this mac I'll be cutting and pasting them into word to not waste paper

SC

Comment

The wonders of modern technology, aka progress!

Comment

Hi all, I could tell you that I have been decorating and building all day. I could also tell you that I finally managed to get a haircut. Wow is it cold around my ears, :wft Looks like I need a new hat as my old one has gone loose.

But as it seems I'm always going on about work and home these days and I get involved in other things so I never seem to get chance to tell my stories these days.

So I thought I would dig out a story from one Saturday Morning at the end of February this year.

Some of you from next door may remember the incident, but for some of you that haven't heard it before I hope it gives you a chuckle.

This Morning I thought Saturday great and chance to relax and play catchup, do things like clean my car.

Guess what 10 minutes later I was brushing my teeth when the phone rang. Mrs Handy answered. Get up to the Hall she shouted up to the bathroom, Freddie (that’s on of her Ladyships terriers) is being electrocuted.

I was down stairs in 1, in my boots in 2 across the courtyard in 3, it was persisting it down and I thought Oh Great I’m running to deal with live electrics and I’m soaking.

Remembering my training, Isolate, Insolate, Evacuate. I jumped over the 4 foot gate in straight in through the hall door.

Now in the Hall we have 5 separate fuse boxes. One main one and one per floor and wing.

I made straight for the main one with the intention of cutting all the power, but the panel is behind a forest of Brooms, brushes and mops. Fighting through I discovered that the chap that came last week to fit a smart meter had locked the panel shut.

I’ll have to do this the hard way I though. Lady Hooray was shouting that the cable was still attached to his leg and had fused to his skin. Where is he I asked, Under the table said she, By this point I was getting exited as well.

Which Effing Table I said, only because in the hall there are 3 console tables, a games table and 2 marble tables, In the sitting room is the dining table and the French table and in the kitchen is the breakfast table.

Sitting room she said, I found him under a chair a cable complete with plug attached to his leg. It turned out he had stood in a loop of cable to one of the side table lamps and it had pulled round his back leg like a noose and locked. Now Ferdie is a nasty little booger at times, on Thursday he bit a carpet fitter that was working in the Hall, luckily he only got the chaps knee pad and the bloke say the funny side of things (after a £20.00 tip).

As he couldn’t get loose he had bit right through the cable, luckily for all concerned the safety breaker (RCD) had tripped out straight away because Lady Hooray had grabbed hold of him and lifted him straight up, This had the effect of ripping the plug out of the socket.

If the safety breaker hadn’t worked We could have been looking at a different outcome.

Now the cable was so tightly wrapped around his back leg he wouldn't let me near him, Luckily Mrs H had arrived on the scene and got a roll of bandage from the first aid kit, with Mrs H holding his jaws bandaged shut I was able to undo the flex without getting bitten.

Now I have to rewire £350 of table lamp on Monday morning, you will be careful not to chip it will you said Lady Hooray, as that's one of the set that came from Harrods.

Sometimes don’t you just wonder why you bother.

The Dog survived, the Lamp got fixed and I got a dam good laugh out of it. Freddie now has an aversion to electric able of any variety.

Regards all, Handy
              Last edited by Handyman; 15 October 2011, 22:36. Reason: typo

Comment

Poor dog, must have been shocking for him; good to hear one of your current stories though Handy - I assume the terrier was wire haired?

Comment

Glad you liked the Story Bboo. As I said not a lot has been happening lately and I'm sure folks don't really want to know about how many Trees I have planted or Border's Iv'e weeded.

One day soon things should slow down (been saying that for the past year) and I can continue writing my memoirs.

Still the true life stories are the funniest.

BTW Freddie (name altered to protect the innocent - Namely me !)
                  is a Lucas Terrier, I seem to recall they made electrical components msl.

Off up the wooden hill now, I am planning to make a pre dawn start today in order to push the decorating forward a wee bit.

Regards, Handy

Comment

Been up since 6am. Finished work at 10pm. Handy is still around only just awake. Another early start tomorrow if I hear the Alarm.

Regards all, Handy

Comment

I'm so glad I wasn't up Cairngorm today...look what fell overnight
                      Attached Files
                      Made by God...Improved by the Devil
                      Save £2 a day - £1610.00 so far

Comment

Originally posted by Angelic View Post
                        Bloody hell!!!

Bless them eh!!
                        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

From last winter was it?

Comment

Oh Fook! Get out the Snow Ploughs. Looks like the Skiing season will start early this year. (load of silly boogers with planks on their feet trying to kill themselves).

It's cold here and a bit showery but not as bad as that.

Regards all, Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Been up since 6am. Finished work at 10pm. Handy is still around only just awake. Another early start tomorrow if I hear the Alarm.

Regards all, Handy
                              Bless you too Handy and a big hug from me
                              "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

From whence did he fall?

Comment

Working...
                                X