GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Council tax bailiffs should be called off, say charities - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council tax bailiffs should be called off, say charities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax bailiffs should be called off, say charities

Council tax bailiffs should be called off, say charities

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 4th May 2016 19:21
    Vulnerable residents with council tax debts should be given breathing space to repay arrears rather than face the threat of bailiffs, two charities say.

Debt charities StepChange and the Money Advice Trust have reported rising levels of council tax debt. They argue that increased use of bailiffs by councils could deepen these residents' financial problems. The Local Government Association (LGA) said that bailiffs were only used as a last resort.
    'Aggressive collection'

The LGA said that cuts to local government funding meant that some people who had previously been exempt from paying council tax were now having to pay. "Significant cuts mean many [councils] have had little choice but to reduce council tax discounts for the working-age poor or low-income families...to avoid finding even more savings from spending on local services to meet the shortfall," said councillor Claire Kober, of the LGA. The two charities say about a quarter of callers to their debt services have council tax arrears.....Read more here

Follow our aad Blog pages:

Government should stop councils using bailiffs ‘on vulnerable taxpayers’ Link

Councils refer 2.1 million debts to bailiffs in 12 months Link

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.
Working...
X