GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script 'Action needed' on fire-risk dryers, says Trading Standards chief - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Action needed' on fire-risk dryers, says Trading Standards chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Action needed' on fire-risk dryers, says Trading Standards chief

More action is needed to recall Whirlpool's fire-risk tumble dryers before someone dies, according to a leading Trading Standards officer.

Last November Whirlpool - the owner of the Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda brands - said the dryers could be dangerous as they allow lint to build up against the heating element.

More ---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35828471
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: 'Action needed' on fire-risk dryers, says Trading Standards chief

My replacement is already under question as they're catching fire too. I'm just ultra cautious and use common sense - when I'm out / in bed - dryer is switched off st the wall with the door open.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I've got a washing line outside ....cheaper to run ....
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        My replacement is already under question as they're catching fire too. I'm just ultra cautious and use common sense - when I'm out / in bed - dryer is switched off st the wall with the door open.
        Whats your replacement mate? We had a newer one as our old one was on "the list"

Comment

I've not had any problem with mine. We had it fixed a while ago and they did whatever they claim they had to do to make it safe. As long as you clean the filter, it should be OK. I'm bit obsessed with keeping mine clean. I was reprimanded in America when I was there as an au pair for not cleaning the fluff out, so I always do it after each wash. Since they 'fixed' it, I have noticed it needs to run for about 10 mins longer.

Comment

I've got a dryer on the list.

I've only just got "the letter" advising me that it may potentially burst into flames and destroy not only my expensive underwear but my entire house.

The advice is to not use the dryer when you're asleep which is bonkers.

Are they saying you need to be in the vicinity when the machine (inevitably?) bursts into flames? How will that help me?

I may be able to leg it out of the door with or without my cat which may be asleep somewhere (that's what cats do - they hide) but it won't stop my house from being burnt down while I'm quivering on the pavement watching my entire life be destroyed.

Total recall of these machines needed. Now.

If this was a Toyota they would.

Plan B x

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              Whats your replacement mate? We had a newer one as our old one was on "the list"
              ours was 4 years old so we paid the £99 for the new one.

Its this model I got but now changed I believe: -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hotpoint-TDW.../dp/B01ABWX1PM
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by JLC View Post
                I've not had any problem with mine. We had it fixed a while ago and they did whatever they claim they had to do to make it safe. As long as you clean the filter, it should be OK. I'm bit obsessed with keeping mine clean. I was reprimanded in America when I was there as an au pair for not cleaning the fluff out, so I always do it after each wash. Since they 'fixed' it, I have noticed it needs to run for about 10 mins longer.
                Wont matter. Those fixed are causing fires. It's on itv this morning a LOT.

The element cover on the back has a filter covering the element which causes the fires. There's 3 different issues - cleaning is one but the other two are technical. I'd still register on the Hotpoint site for replacement. Free if under 1yr old (in warranty) or £99 if older (I think)!

-> https://www.aspokesmansaid.com/shopp...er-replacement
                -> http://www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-t...-been-recalled
                -> http://www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-t...nt-dryers-safe

* AFTER being fixed -> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-defect.html

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                  I've got a dryer on the list.

I've only just got "the letter" advising me that it may potentially burst into flames and destroy not only my expensive underwear but my entire house.

The advice is to not use the dryer when you're asleep which is bonkers.

Are they saying you need to be in the vicinity when the machine (inevitably?) bursts into flames? How will that help me?

I may be able to leg it out of the door with or without my cat which may be asleep somewhere (that's what cats do - they hide) but it won't stop my house from being burnt down while I'm quivering on the pavement watching my entire life be destroyed.

Total recall of these machines needed. Now.

If this was a Toyota they would.

Plan B x
                  Letter? You self register on their support site and then pick the replacement! It is common sense never leave a dryer on overnight - I've never done that even before this fiasco. You'll find it voids your insurance. I used to work in insurance and it's sickening when a claim for damage is rejected cos of a water leak - as you put washer on before you went to bed or the likes. All domestic electrical items should be isolated when you're not home (and insurers stand by that)!

Sadly its the way of the world right now. Small print and more small print and clauses

Comment

It is common sense never leave a dryer on overnight - I've never done that even before this fiasco.
                    I've never met a man yet who knows what a washing machine or tumble dryer looks like, let alone used one.

Is there no end to your talents

Plan B x

Comment

Mine is on the list. contacted them end Nov beginning of Dec, had an email January that it would be April before they could get anyone to "repair" it, didn't want the white replacement as mine is silver to match other kitchen items. no I don't have anywhere else to put it, live in a small semi demolished

Comment

I've never met a man yet who knows what a washing machine or tumble dryer looks like, let alone used one.

Is there no end to your talents

Plan B x
                        haha I even Hoover you know!! Seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                          Mine is on the list. contacted them end Nov beginning of Dec, had an email January that it would be April before they could get anyone to "repair" it, didn't want the white replacement as mine is silver to match other kitchen items. no I don't have anywhere else to put it, live in a small semi demolished
                          Be careful. The repair isn't actually rectifying the fault as its a fault with the design allegedly.....

Safety over colour was my thinking

Comment

Be careful. The repair isn't actually rectifying the fault as its a fault with the design allegedly.....

Safety over colour was my thinking
                            yes agree, but if your replacement is also now on the list it won't matter will it ?

Comment

I've never met a man yet who knows what a washing machine or tumble dryer looks like,

Plan B x

I've seen plenty online .......Only because I'm fitting a kitchen ATM ....so I need to know the size ....

I still can't work out where the soap powder goes .......(women's work)

Comment

Working...
                              X