GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help with Unenforceability [UPDATED 01/2020] - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Unenforceability [UPDATED 01/2020]

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help with Unenforceability

Originally posted by jamon View Post
    I have sent the standard statute barred letter to 1st. Credit, on the 5th. August 2011 and despite the letter clearly asking for a reply, confirming no further action, have not heard anything from them.
    Should I press for a reply or let sleeping dogs lie?
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi Jamon

This is standard 1st Credit behaviour when challenged. The fact they have gone quiet and you have received no further communication would point to the fact they know they are chasing a lost cause and so they have put you into the 'too much trouble' pile and are moving into easier prey.

If you are looking at SB I would let sleeping dogs lie and wait for their next letter (if one arrives at all).

Best

SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi
      I wrote to catalogue requesting the credit agreement thing and they sent a reconstituted agreement with printed name and old address but it was not signed or dated by myself. Think I started the catalogues 5 to 6 years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

It was 2 catalogues from shop direct one was littlewoods and the other very. Only one has replied.
        Ta

Comment

Itll be unenforceable; especially if it's SDG (Littlewoods etc)....

More info?
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi
            Not sure what to do now, do I ignore or write again with payment plan? I was on another website and someone recommended this one. Thank goodness they did!!

Comment

Originally posted by vegigirl View Post
              Hi
              Not sure what to do now, do I ignore or write again with payment plan? I was on another website and someone recommended this one. Thank goodness they did!!
              Hiya

Can you tell us more details - are you already in debt with other stuff, if so what? Give us some background to you, thing is I would say we can fight this but you will be defaulted etc if not already.....

Therefore to get a better picture of what you ought to do next, I am asking for some more info please.... so we can confirm what may be best given your overall situation.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Who
                Originally posted by vegigirl View Post
                Hi
                It may make thinhg easier to advise on if you could list the debts individually so that the information is clear.
                Who account is with:
                When account started:
                Whats the balance:
                When last full payment was made:
                What are you paying now:
                Who are chasing it:
                When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

The bu**ers have sent three more "If you are XXXXX" letters. One for me & two for my wife.
                  I told her we should not have completed the electoral register form!!
                  All are well statute barred, so am now waiting for their "generous offer" letter before firing off three more "go forth & multiply" letters.

Comment

Originally posted by jamon View Post
                    The bu**ers have sent three more "If you are XXXXX" letters. One for me & two for my wife.
                    I told her we should not have completed the electoral register form!!
                    All are well statute barred, so am now waiting for their "generous offer" letter before firing off three more "go forth & multiply" letters.
                    They are just a bunch of chancers

Keep us updated, be careful what you send back - not to admit liability!

Comment

Hello all,

I hope you can help. I found this forum through a mention on the consumer action group.

I'm sort of mired in an enforcability hole and all the paths on CAG seemed to end up as dead ends.

Quite a few of my own issues and the more I spend time looking into all this stuff, the more I talk to people and try to give them advice and they ask me for advice (although I freely admit, in the words of Manuel "I know nothing..."

I think I'm getting a good idea of a rough route to follow with unenforcability, but what I really struggle with most is actually finding the right legislation online to quote from. i.e. The consumer credit act has been amended load sof times (I gather) but finding all the iterations and update is proving impossible in some cases. I like to try and at least sound like I know what I'm talking about!!!

So two quick-fire questions for the offing;

1) Littlewoods have replied to a CCA for OH with two sheets of terms and conditions. There is no personal information on these sheets whatsoever. Not for OH, not for lender.

The thing is, this account was opened in the '80's, according to Shop Direct. So do we need to worry about what regulations were in force at the time so we're quoting the right wording? I'm no expert, but I thought ALL agreements, whether reconstituted or not, at least had to have the address for the customer at the time they opened the account? So surely this is unenforcable? What do I send them next?

Second question;

Brother in Law and his wife bought some windows from Safestyle (blurrrgh!) in Sept 2006 with credit provided by GE Money on a fixed sum loan agreement.They genuinely believed until a chance conversation recently the the cost of the windows was £2600 and that the total including interest was £3700 (i.e. interest of £1100 - which to a layment sounds quite feasible - nearly 50% of the capital).

However, I pointed out that actually they will repay £2600 PLUS £3700 (i.e. capital plus interest). But I've since seen reference to the fact that credit agreements should include a 'total repayable' as this is a 'prescribed term' However, once again I'm struggling to find an explicit wording to this effect on any acts or on legislation.gov.uk.

Can anyone clarify this?

They've paid around £3600 back already and hence thought they must be nearly finished. Now you could say this is their fault for not putting two and two together, but nowhere on the credit agreement does it state the total repayable or how to calculate the total repayable, so they genuinely were confused.

Is there any recourse we can take to challange this and maybe say 'Ok, so we have enjoyed the use of the windows, but we have also paid back a lot more than the capital already, your agreement is misleading, so we ain't paying you any more'??!!!

Any feedback on either issue greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Comment

Hiya & Welcome

Ok, first question - Littlewoods or SDG are notorious for bad agreements as they used to send goods then months later send an agreement, if you "forgot" to fill it in so what - they still send goods etc...

99% of their agreements are unenforceable and thus you'll rarely see a case of SDG going to court over a debt, plus their agreements are totally unenforceable so all you do is use the templates from here to bat them off, then they'll quietly go away - in time they'll become statute barred - case closed.

The second question, if you can email me the agreement I'll tell you if it is in fact enforceable or not, however bear in mind there are various prescribed terms to check for and one, the most important which usually catches these muppets out, is linked to s.18 (see here: ---> Multiple Agreements ) - the reason being that each element needs it's own set of PT's so the interest and the charges and any deposit or fee paid must be separate to the main loan amount - chances are it'll be wrong as GE Money wasn't that great a few years back either - but if you email me the whole document + terms I'll check it over and confirm for you...?

agreements@all-about-debt.co.uk

Thanks - good luck

Niddy :niddy

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                          Hi Beauborg.

Personally, I would ignore their letter for now. The rules of statute barred do not apply at this time as you were maintaining payments up until a year ago, so you have another five years to go before they HAVE to leave you alone!

If they write back to you chasing payment, ring you, call at your doorstep or pass the debt onto another agency, then we'll advise you on which template to use.

The debt doesn't "go away", but with the letter that you have confirming lack of CCA, they cannot enforce payment of it.

Hope this makes sense?

I don't know where you found that template previously used, but you have found the right place now for any future enquiries. If in doubt, just shout........ we are all here to help.

Diddly x
                          Hi Diddly, I have an update on this situation. I have just received a card sent in a small brown envelope by regular post, stating:

iQor Recovery Services Ltd
                          our representative called today [he didn't incidentally]
                          FINAL NOTICE
                          PLEASE CONTACT US
                          TELEPHONE OUR REPRESENTATIVE
                          etc. etc.

On the back is the name and address of their local agent.

So my question is, What do I do now?

Thanks so much again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Beauborg View Post
                            Hi Diddly, I have an update on this situation. I have just received a card sent in a small brown envelope by regular post, stating:

iQor Recovery Services Ltd
                            our representative called today [he didn't incidentally]
                            FINAL NOTICE
                            PLEASE CONTACT US
                            TELEPHONE OUR REPRESENTATIVE
                            etc. etc.

On the back is the name and address of their local agent.

So my question is, What do I do now?

Thanks so much again for your help.
                            just a brief history please.....
                            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Beauborg.

I believe that you have already received a letter from the lender to say that they do not have a CCA on file.

If my assumption is correct, then you can send the following template letter to iQor and enclose a photocopy of the letter you have received which confirms no CCA is on file.

Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | CCA Query - Letter Previously Confirming No CCA

Hope this helps,

diddly
                              If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beauborg View Post
                                This is my first post here so I hope this is the right place to start. Can anyone please help?

My problem is:
                                • I have a credit card debt of around £5K which I defaulted on over 10 years ago.
                                • I had been paying a nominal sum of £20 per month over several years (to Wescott) but stopped about a year ago and didn't hear anything about it.
                                • On the 10th May I received a letter from Credit Security chasing the debt. I presume they had bought the debt from Wescott?
                                • I replied with a template letter stating 'debt not acknowledged' and requesting copy of original agreement etc.
                                • On the 10th June I received a reply stating a copy of original Credit Agreement not available as account was originally opened in 1992. But it also stated that since payments have been made by me to the account, liability has been admitted.
                                Can they insist I repay the debt without an original Credit Agreement?

Incidentally, the payments were made came from my wife's bank account (and the debt was not hers). Does this change anything?

How should I respond?

I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

(Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post!)
                                Thanks for your reply.

The only thing is: it wasn't the original lender who said they had no CCA on file, it was from a company called Credit Security who were chasing it at the time. Does this make a difference or can I still send the template you mentioned?

Also, would I send it to iQor, or to Credit Security? I presume it would be iQor.

Comment

Working...
                                X