GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Endeavour - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endeavour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Endeavour

Thanks for the update hun x

Comment

Letter from FOS today stating that they can't consider my complaint as the PPI was sold pre 14.1.05.

They then state that there are some circumstances where policies sold before that date can be looked at i.e. where a bank or BS was responsible for the sale. If I think the business selling my policy could have been acting on behalf of another business, I could try getting in touch with that other business.

Talk about going round in circles !!!!

PPI was sold to me by purple loans (GE) - they ARE a bank are they not, doesn't that count ?
      EPF were the mob of choice for purple - they of course deny any responsibility even though they paid an undisclosed payment to purple as thanks.

Finally Aviva who now own the company who originally held the insurance are also of course saying they didn't sell the policy. FOS haven't even suggested this avenue.

FOS state that if I am not happy with their decision I can contact them again and they will look into whether they can help.

My question...is it worth it ?

Comment

OK quick update.
        I decided to grab the bull by the horns and rang the FOS, got through quickly and spoke to a helpfull chap.
        I asked about the underwriter option and they are willing to progress that avenue once I send in Aviva's final response (thought I already had ? ).

Soooo not over yet.

Comment

Aviva final response letter now sent to FOS via email

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
            OK quick update.
            I decided to grab the bull by the horns and rang the FOS, got through quickly and spoke to a helpfull chap.
            I asked about the underwriter option and they are willing to progress that avenue once I send in Aviva's final response (thought I already had ? ).

Soooo not over yet.

Thats the way....Im hoping your perserverance will pay off now
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post
              Thats the way....Im hoping your perserverance will pay off now
              Thanks, it been years of waiting so far, so can wait a bit longer

Comment

Hiya

I have not had the chance to go right back to previous threads, but how frustrating for you.

With one of mine being pre 2005, well that one was actually mid 90's onwards (GE) bank I went through Santander as they deal with their complaints but Santander also rejected, so directed it and succeeded with the insurer/underwriter.

Have you tried contacting Purple direct to ask for the underwriter details, just to make sure its right first time?

Did I ever provide you with a copy of my letter to the underwriter or not?

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                  Hiya

I have not had the chance to go right back to previous threads, but how frustrating for you.

With one of mine being pre 2005, well that one was actually mid 90's onwards (GE) bank I went through Santander as they deal with their complaints but Santander also rejected, so directed it and succeeded with the insurer/underwriter.

Have you tried contacting Purple direct to ask for the underwriter details, just to make sure its right first time?

Did I ever provide you with a copy of my letter to the underwriter or not?
                  Hi Di,

I had the underwriter info, BFC in Dublin who through various aquaisitions ended up under Aviva. Yes you did send me a copy of the letter which I based my email to Aviva's CEO on. They refused of course hence I went to the FOS who also said they couldn't help (see above) but after my phone call have agreed to have a look at the underwriter although they wouldn't have if I hadn't suggested it which is worrying.

I commenced this reclaim journey in 2007

Comment

I've now received a confirmation letter from the FOS that they've received my complaint and will look into it. They aim to give outcome within 18 months.

Like I've said before I can wait a bit longer after all this time.

Comment

Just wanted to say best of luck with your claim! I am in a similar sort of position claiming back PPI for my mortgage which I have a thread about. The broker no longer exists and I have gone down the Underwriter/Insurer route who told me to get lost and my claim is now with the Ombudsman. Same as you, on my first go with the FOS they told me they couldn't help as my it is pre Jan 2005, which I already knew, and told me there may be other options blah blah! Had to go back and point out that I AM going down the route that they advised and that I had already sent the Underwriter's final response! Just yesterday I received the same letter as you saying they will endeavour to resolve matters within 18 months. Well I am happy to wait any length of time for the possibility of a positive outcome!

I'll watch your thread with interest!

Comment

Hi,

Yes we are in a very, very similar position even down to the original FOS response. I'll have a read through, and keep an eye on yours too :-)

Good luck, I think we're going to need it.

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
                          Hi,

Yes we are in a very, very similar position even down to the original FOS response. I'll have a read through, and keep an eye on yours too :-)

Good luck, I think we're going to need it.
                          Yes I think you are right! lol

Comment

I've received a 2 page letter from the FOS today and a quick read through is telling me that they are saying there is nothing they can do, the last paragraph does say I can contact them if I have any more information so I need to set a morning aside to read their letter , get out the file and go trough all the points to see if there's anything I can cling to but at first glance it looks like the banks get away with it again.

Comment

These are the reasons the FOS state as to why they can't do anything unless I can come up with something new by next Friday.

i. Aviva is not the correct underwriter of your PPI policy and so cannot be held liable to answer a complaint about the manner in which it was sold.
                              ii. We cannot look at the complaint aginst the seller Purple Loans as it was not covered by us, or any of the previous schemes that we took over from, for the sale of PPI
                              iii. We cannot look at the complaint against the lender (EPF) as the seller was not actingas it's agent and in any event it was not covered by us, or any of the previous schemes that we took over from, for the sale of PPI.
                              iv. We cannot look at the complaint against the insurer as we have been unable to establish an unbroken chain of responsibility between the three parties involved.

I have sent this:-

Thank you for your letter dated 231.15 your ref XYZ
                              You state that Aviva is not the correct underwriter of the policy and so cannot be held liable to answer a complaint about the manner in which it was sold.

When I was looking into the matter myself I found the following link that takes the original company BFC through sales directly to Aviva. Evidence here:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...;to=2007-01-02

The BFC address is different to the one I had and the one most of Google throws up in any search for them but I suppose they could have moved.

However that clearly says

Take Notice that in accordance with the sanction of the High Court granted on 15 December 2003, BFC Insurance Limited having its registered office at 30 Herbert Street, Dublin 2 has effected the transfer to Hamilton Insurance Company Limited of the general non-life insurance business of BFC Insurance Limited.

I then followed through to this:-

http://media.aviva.com/pdfs/business...ert_report.pdf

That's dated 06/2011 and section 3.11 states:

Hamilton Insurance Company Limited (“Hamilton”)
                              3.11 Hamilton Insurance Company Limited was incorporated in 1982 as Skidchime Limited and changed its

name to Hamilton Insurance Company Limited in 1983. In 2003 the company acquired the general
                              insurance business of BFC Insurance Limited (Ireland).
                              It became wholly owned by HSBC Holdings plc following the acquisition of the former ultimate
                              parent, Household International Inc, USA by HSBC in 2003. The immediate parent was HFC Bank
                              Ltd. In 2007 Aviva bought Hamilton Insurance Company from HSBC.
                              All of Hamilton’s business is written through corporate partners.
                              Hamilton writes personal creditor insurance and had gross written premium of £25 million and gross

insurance liabilities of £14 million as at year end

Surely Aviva cannot take over a company without also taking over responsibility for their past

I look forward to your comments re this, please can you email for speed and ease of reply.

Regards
                              Last edited by lookingforward; 29 January 2015, 19:09.

Comment

It's all beyond frustrating isn't it!! I swear these companies create such a web of different names to make people like us lose the will to live and eventually give up because we just can't be bothered trying to get to the bottom of it anymore!

I'm still waiting for word for mine, last I heard it was still waiting for an adjudicator. I sometimes have a nosy on the Ombudsman website at completed cases, and noticed a case that was upheld in October last year that seems similar to mine as it involves Assurant Intermediary (or Assurant General Insurance or Assurant Solutions!!! all of these names have been used by them in correspondence to me!!) Anyway, the case is from 2004 same as mine, and refers to a 'seller' but doesn't name them and states that Assurant, as the underwriter, accepted responsibility for the sale and therefore the complaint. That is the opposite to what Assurant told me. Obviously there will be differences in my case, but it makes me feel slightly less pessimistic than I have been lately!

Anyway, good luck going forward with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X