GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help with claiming back direct debits from TV License - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with claiming back direct debits from TV License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with claiming back direct debits from TV License

Hi all, I am completely new to the forum and am not sure if I am posting in the correct place so here goes:
    Do any of you have any advice of clawing back direct debits for the last 6 years from TV Licensing ? or can you point me in the right direction ? I have recently cancelled my license after having it automatically renewed every year for very many years _ I do not watch live TV so never actually needed one - I have seen many people on facebook groups doing it but am very concerned about the consequences - i dont have much luck and am disabled so really dont want a court case or anything if I make a mistake !!

Thanks so much to you all

Re: Help with claiming back direct debits from TV License

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...y-for-a-refund you just need to fill this in, good luck

and welcome to AAD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzyhall View Post
      I have recently cancelled my license after having it automatically renewed every year for very many years _ I do not watch live TV so never actually needed one
      Is there anyone else in your household who watches your television set or views TV on a computer?

As I understand it the licence legal obligation is based on the property not the person unless the property is only occupied by the exempt person.

Comment

If I remember correctly, if you own a TV - you need a licence, whether you watch it or not.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
          if you own a TV - you need a licence, whether you watch it or not.
          I'm afraid I agree with you Oscar. A licence is required if you "install" a TV even if you never switch it on. Facebook doesn't always get these things right.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/f...framework-AB16

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
            I'm afraid I agree with you Oscar. A licence is required if you "install" a TV even if you never switch it on. Facebook doesn't always get these things right.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/f...framework-AB16
            Oscar says 'own' a TV. As long as you don't watch or record live broadcast you don't need a licence.
            If it is connected to an aerial you might have a problem convincing them.

Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 sets out the requirement for a TV Licence. Section 363 makes it an offence to
            • install or use a television receiver or
            • possess or have control of a television receiver with the intent to install or use it or
            • possess or have control of a television receiver and know or have reasonable grounds for believing that another person intends to install or use it without a valid TV Licence issued under the Communications Act.

If you own or possess a television set without installing or using it as a TV receiver (e.g. you only use it to watch videos or DVDs, or as a monitor for a games console) then you don’t need a TV Licence.
            If you don’t have a television set or have one but don’t use it to watch programmes as they are being shown on TV, we ask that you inform us this is the case, so that we can register it on our database to prevent unnecessary contact. An enquiry officer may call to verify this. This is necessary because when we make contact on these visits, almost a fifth of people are found to require a TV Licence. We believe that the fairest and most consistent approach is to visit addresses where TV Licensing is notified that no television set is used.

Also
            http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...watch-tv-top12

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.
            You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

Comment

I think the question which would be asked (by the Magistrate since TV licence evasion is a criminal offence) is "why have you had a TV set in your home for the last six years if you've never watched it?"

Comment

Fair point Woodgate, but most properties have an aerial installed. Although TV Licensing cannot prove you watch "live" TV, by the same respect, an individual cannot prove otherwise.

I no people that have tried th "I do not watch TV" or "I do not watch BBC" and failed. That's why I mentioned owning a TV set. Having said that, technology has moved on and you no longer need a TV to actually watch TV.

To me, the license is outdated - BBC should just show adverts.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                  I think the question which would be asked (by the Magistrate since it's a criminal offence) is "why have you had a TV set in your home for the last six years if you've never watched it?"
                  To be fair there hasn't been much on

Comment

Youcan have a TV to watch ITV only, or Sky...BTSports ? or iplayer..DVDs etc... watching live BBC programs is what you can't do..either on TV or any other device, How they can prove you do, even if you do, is beyond me. BBC is just a branch of the Tory propaganda machine anyway ...why would anyone want a dose of that ?

Comment

Originally posted by cardiac arrest View Post
                      You can have a TV to watch ITV only, or Sky...BTSports ? or iplayer..DVDs etc... watching live BBC programs is what you can't do..either on TV or any other device
                      I think you'll find that is a common misunderstanding. You need to have a TV licence however you watch programmes and regardless of which Channel they're on. This is taken from the official TV Licensing website's FAQ page:

Do I need a TV Licence if I don’t watch BBC programmes?

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television equipment to receive (i.e. watch or record) live TV programmes, regardless of which channel you're watching, which device you are using (TV, computer, laptop, mobile phone or any other), and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable, via the internet or any other way).
                      The licence fee is not a subscription to watch BBC programmes but mandated by law. Under the Communications Act 2003, the BBC in its role as the licensing authority has a duty to issue TV Licences and collect the licence fee.

Comment

I don't think this thread was intended as a debate on what you can and can't do with or without a TV licence. The op has been clear in saying they have not watched any live broadcasts for 6 years and wants to refund the payments. I think it's only fair that we should help. In this respect. If the op has not used live TV services then they are due a genuine refund and should not be put off by the tv licence scare mongers threatening action for something they haven't done.

Comment

It doesn't look as though you will be able to go back six years....

'Note - An application for a refund must be submitted within two years of the expiry date of the licence that is the subject of the refund claim.'

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ77

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                            I don't think this thread was intended as a debate on what you can and can't do with or without a TV licence. The op has been clear in saying they have not watched any live broadcasts for 6 years and wants to refund the payments. I think it's only fair that we should help. In this respect. If the op has not used live TV services then they are due a genuine refund and should not be put off by the tv licence scare mongers threatening action for something they haven't done.
                            Sorry but I disagree except for the bit where you say that "it's only fair that we should help".

It would be foolhardy of us to encourage a poster to make a claim which may lead them into a situation where they could be at risk of criminal proceedings without first suggesting that they should consider the risks upfront and explore all the hoops which they may be expected to jump through after making a claim which is a formal assertion (in the legal world) .

A claim for a six year retrospective rebate has the possibility of being challenged in the Magistrates court. I repeat that Facebook groups are not necessarily a reliable legal authority.

As yet we don't know whether the OP has anyone living in the household who watches TV. Maybe not, but at least we've asked a relevant question so that they can make an informed decision as to what steps to take or not take. We await the answer to that question.

I'm not a "TV licence scare monger threatening action for something" which may not have been done.

I only give impartial advice

Comment

LOL Plan B, sorry when I said tv licence scare mongers, I didn't mean you, us or anyone on AAD, I ment the TV licence people. Sorry if I sounded offensive

Comment

Working...
                              X