GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Tech Clerks - General Debt Matters Thread - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech Clerks - General Debt Matters Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tech Clerks - General Debt Matters Thread

he Bedroom Tax is Dead here’s why

February 8, 2014 taken from a mates posting on Facebook
    The bedroom tax is dead. I’ll repeat that in case your eyes deceive you reader, the bedroom tax is dead!
    There was a hugely significant appeal win in South Wales I discussed and posted about earlier and I called the bedroom tax a lesser spotted Dodo. My apologies reader the bedroom tax is ‘deader’ than that upon reading the actual judgment!
    Overview
    Tenant has bedroom tax applied as landlord and council say he has a 4 bed. Tenant says 2 smallest rooms are too small (60.7 and 69.4 sq/ft) and that they are used as an art room and as a study.
    Tenant at tribunal raises the recently announced Bolton Upper Tribunal decision that gives a definition of bedroom. Time to see what the judgment says:
    Paragraph 13
    ‘Bedroom’ is not defined by the legislation. This has most recently been pointed out in the Upper Tribunal decision 2014 UKUT 48 AAC. A(t) paragraph 19 of that decision the Tribunal helpfully refer to various definitions of a bedroom.”
    Paragraph 19 said in simple terms that ‘bedroom’ is a room used as or furnished as sleeping accommodation.
    Paragraph 14 of the judgment then goes on to say:
    “The Tribunal finds that neither of the two smallest rooms are bedrooms. They do not contain beds, they are not used for sleeping, they can only be occupied by a child under 10, a half person…”
    They do not contain beds, they are not used for sleeping...as social media will say OMFG!!!
    So what does this mean?
    • The first thing is that this judgment appears the first known judgment to use the Bolton definition of ‘bedroom’ to mean a room needs to be used as or furnished as a bedroom to be a bedroom.

• Secondly, ALL 523,000 bedroom tax decisions taken by councils before April 2013 saw those councils assume in every single case that if a room could be a bedroom then it was and is a bedroom. That assumption and sham of a decision making process which I have ranted and raved against all this time is now proven to be the sham I said it was.

• Thirdly, it means that the Bolton UT decision despite being made public in January 2014 applies to all of the bedroom tax decisions made so far.

• Fourthly, it provides a huge fillip and a huge necessity for every single one of those households affected by the bedroom tax should appeal and appeal right now. This is because your bedroom tax decision needs to be made on the individual facts of your case and the sham of a decision making process that saw every council take the view that if it COULD be a bedroom then it was a bedroom is legally unreliable.

• Fifthly, it DOES mean and does follow that your local council needs to KNOW that a room in your property is USED AS or is FURNISHED AS a bedroom and they can only do this by coming out to inspect. Yes that means my home city of Liverpool needs to inspect 10,750 or so properties to be ‘satisfied’ (and how ironic is that word in light of the U1/2014 Dear Reader!!) that your rooms are in fact bedrooms.

• Yet sixthly, no council has the time or the resources to go out and inspect every one of the properties that are bedroom tax affected! It simply cannot be done.

What flows from this is that no local council can make a bedroom tax decision for 2014/15 without having inspected a property. The decision cannot be made.
    It also means that every single bedroom tax household can and should appeal their bedroom tax decision made for the 2013/14 financial year as there is no way that their council could have KNOWN that rooms in their properties were used as or furnished as a bedroom.
    Yet it goes further than that!!
    How can a single person have three bedrooms at all? Unless that tenant asserts they have watched every single episode of Star trek and can teleport so as to sleep in all 3 bedrooms at one time, they can only have one bedroom.
    There is no such thing as under occupancy!!
    A single tenant living in a property with 3 rooms that councils have to date said were ‘bedrooms’ may have 1 bedroom to sleep in and may furnished another room as a bedroom for a guest and so they may have a 3 bedroomed property but only 2 bedrooms and as such the bedroom tax if applicable would apply only to 2 bedrooms being in that property and not 3 as has been the case till now.
    I could go on and on with what this means. However, what is far more important is that all those like myself that detest the pernicious bedroom tax policy MUST go out and MUST find every single bedroom tax affected household and tell them to APPEAL, APPEAL and APPEAL.
    If they do and this judgment gives them every justification and legitimate grounds to do so then the bedroom tax is dead.
    It is over, defunct, brown bread, deceased, late, departed, finished, done with, extinct, is moribund, it is pining for the fjords, it is demised, it is stunned, it is an ex-policy (it is an ex parrot..see!) Yet the dead parrot sketch well done reader and where did that take place…ah yes a shop in Bolton!!! …ooh I do love a bit of irony!!
    Though personally I would prefer to see Iain Duncan Smith’s face when he reads this as that would a picture…a face that launches a thousand ships…all riddled with holes and made out of his discarded fag packets. Ships that sink without trace just like the bedroom tax policy!
    But of course the IDS we all know will have a rant about these bloody judges and their interference….I can see him know…How dare they say bedroom has its ordinary everyday meaning! Just who do they think they are!! Council get that statement of reasons and send it to me now, personally, else ……I will let your imagination finish that one reader!
    Sorry reader I must come across as a bit smug in my tone in this post. I am right now and I make no apologies for that whatsoever! When was the last time you were grinning like a Cheshire Cat when you were typing…oh sod that I’m digressing…the judgment is below.
    Enjoy!!!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

• Re: TTC - O.H. Capital One PPI Claim

still awaiting delivery of replacement parts to new kitchen installation, so in again to-day as yesterday awaiting a so called call from driver 30 minutes before arriving, lousy system as all you get is maybe Friday or Saturday, then when asked to inform one or the other due to installers attending, the next call will be from driver, rather stroppy I thought and stated so, only to have the phone put down on me as I stated customer service would be a help as customer is paying for fitters to attend and sending them away for non delivery?
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
        still awaiting delivery of replacement parts to new kitchen installation, so in again to-day as yesterday awaiting a so called call from driver 30 minutes before arriving, lousy system as all you get is maybe Friday or Saturday, then when asked to inform one or the other due to installers attending, the next call will be from driver, rather stroppy I thought and stated so, only to have the phone put down on me as I stated customer service would be a help as customer is paying for fitters to attend and sending them away for non delivery?
        well another day wasted waiting in = no show (2 days now)
        Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 16 February 2014, 08:24.

Comment

well delivery of replacement kitchen parts @ 9.30 p.m. last night, seems they been in Cornwall having to navigate flood problems, - no comment from me as we were from that area and know which areas were effected, so no not bother to comment to them. quiet helpful though!
          Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 17 February 2014, 12:18.

Comment

• Re: Tech clerks O.H. MBNA Thread

News

> Case round up
            > Company news
            > Consumer Q&As
            > Credit notes
            > Feature
            > First up
            > Hot topics
            > Insight
            > Letters
            > News
            > News analysis
            > On the move
            > Online news
            > Opinion
            > Payback!
            > Profile
            > Q&A
            > Soundbites
            > Special report
            > Trade Q&As

PRA snaps up Aktiv 20 February 2014

US debt buyer Portfolio Recovery Associates (PRA) has agreed to buy Aktiv Kapital for $880m (£528.6m).
            The deal sees PRA take on the largest equity stake in Aktiv and around $435m (£261.3m) of the company’s corporate debt, giving the deal a total enterprise value of $1.3bn (£780m).
            It marks the second offshore acquisition announcement in a week by US-headquartered PRA, following its purchase of the debt buying arm of London-based firm Pamplona Capital Management.

The deal also heralds a significant expansion of PRA’s European footprint, as Aktiv Kapital is based in Norway and operates in 15 markets across Europe and Canada.
            Aktiv Kapital’s chief executive Geir Olsen, his executive team and the more than 400 Aktiv Kapital employees will join PRA upon the close of the transaction.
            “This will be a transformative transaction for PRA, expected to be immediately accretive to earnings,” said Steve Fredrickson, chairman, president and chief executive officer of PRA.
            “In Aktiv Kapital, PRA has found a true partner, an international acquirer of consumer debt with a conservative balance sheet, a deep and diverse data set, and remarkable analytical and operating capabilities.”
            PRA is expected to finance the deal with a combination of cash, $170m (£102.1m) of seller financing, $435m (£261.3m) from PRA’s revolving credit facility; and by accessing an accordion feature on its credit facility of up to $214m (£128.5m).
            PRA said it may also choose to use other debt instruments to expand, replace or pay down any of these financing options.
            The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of this year, and will leave both companies with more than $4.6bn (£2.76bn).
            Until then, both PRA and Aktiv Kapital will continue to source and purchase consumer debt as stand-alone companies in their respective markets, while servicing customers ready to pay back their debt.
            PRA said its expenses for the deal will total approximately $15m over Q1 and Q2 of this year.
            “Many of Aktiv Kapital’s clients are repeat sellers,” said Olsen.
            “They have carried out extensive due-diligence on our operations in order to assure that their customers will be treated professionally once we have acquired their debts.”
            Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. acted as sole financial advisor to PRA on this transaction, while William Blair acted as the sole financial advisor to Aktiv Kapital.

See also:

Comment

A San Francisco-based startup called Streak has developed the free browser extension and using it with a Gmail account, senders are notified whenever about when their emails were read.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=7mxmFCw-Dig

Come fly over the mountains.

Comment

That's brilliant TTC

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/CQQPwRr.gif

On a Bad Day

Comment

On a Bad Day
                      Blimey......both were lucky eh TTC
                      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                        Blimey......both were lucky eh TTC
                        Yes = makes you wonder Guardian Angel!

Comment

Some good news for claimants – setting aside default judgment will not be entertained lightly

• Copied from :- lexology

In the case of Samara v (1) MBI & Partners UK Limited (2) AJWA RMTI CO [QB/2013/0436] the First Defendant appealed the decision of Master Fontaine in the Queen’s Bench Division not to set aside the default judgment entered by the Claimant. This appeal considers how the Jackson reforms and Mitchell judgment affect applications to set aside default judgment. The outcome ought to be welcome news for Claimants and their legal representatives.
                          The facts
                          The Claimant brought a claim against the Defendants in connection with his employment contracts with both of the Defendants. Following service of the claim, no Defence was filed by the First Defendant and the Claimant’s solicitors requested judgment in default against it. A hearing was listed on 13 February 2012 and notice of this hearing was given to the First Defendant on 20 January 2012. The hearing was attended by both sides’ legal representatives, at which judgment was entered against the First Defendant for damages and payment of the Claimant’s costs.
                          The First Defendant then informed the Claimant’s solicitors they were considering an application to set aside the default judgment, but took no steps to make any such application. The Claimant sought to enforce the judgment via High Court Enforcement Officers on 16 May 2013. This prompted the First Defendant to make an application to set aside the default judgment on 21 May 2013.
                          The rules
                          CPR 13.3 is entitled “Cases where the court may set aside or vary judgment entered under Part 12” and says:
                          (1) In any other case, the court may set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12 if –
                          (a) the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim; or
                          (b) it appears to the court that there is some other good reason why –
                          (i) the judgment should be set aside or varied; or
                          (ii) the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim.
                          (2) In considering whether to set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12, the matters to which the court must have regard include whether the person seeking to set aside the judgment made an application to do so promptly.
                          The application
                          The application to set aside the default judgment was accompanied by a draft Defence to support the assertion that the First Defendant had real prospects of defending the claim. The First Defendant successfully established that a defence on the basis that the claim was statute-barred had a real prospect of success.
                          Master Fontaine then went on to consider the issue of delay as per CPR 13.3(2), noting that the Court was entitled to exercise its discretion to refuse to set aside a judgment in circumstances where the application had not been made promptly, even though there was a real prospect of success in defending the claim. Master Fontaine considered the First Defendant to have delayed making their application for 16 months (having found out about the default judgment in January 2012 and having made the application to set aside in May 2013) and as such, she refused to exercise the court’s discretion to set aside the default judgment.
                          The appeal
                          The First Defendant sought to appeal Master Fontaine’s decision on a number of grounds, including: error in the finding that there had been excessive delay on the First Defendant’s part and in using this as a decisive factor in the decision; insufficient weight attached to the Claimant’s own delay in bringing the claim; and arguments as to prejudice and justice.
                          Mr Justice Silber considered the appeal under the old and new regimes, pre and post-Jackson, before forming his decision, which was handed down on 4 March 2014.
                          Firstly, did the Jackson reforms apply to applications to set aside default judgment? He concluded that they did. This was on the basis that nothing expressly excluded CPR 13 from the new regime, and the overriding objectives (which had been changed) applied to all parts of the CPR. He also turned to the guidance contained in the Mitchell decision, handed down by Master of the Rolls, which he considered to have universal application, and found it to be “very clear that in the new regime, the need for promptness has even greater significance than it had previously”.
                          Secondly, he considered the nature and extent of the delay in the underlying case. Mr Justice Silber found “a clear case of a serious, sustained and inexcusable failure by the First Defendant and its legal adviser Mr. Salfiti to comply with the well-known and important obligations to make a prompt application to set aside judgement entered in default probably as a result of inefficiency on the First Defendant’s part.
                          He then considered whether the appeal ought to be allowed under the new regime, given that relief would only usually be granted for defaults which are trivial in nature and if there is good reason for the failure (rather than inefficiency). Mr Justice Silber came to the conclusion that the First Defendant could not show that their case fell within either of these exceptions.
                          For the sake of completeness, Mr Justice Silber also considered whether the appeal ought to be allowed under the old regime (pre-Jackson). He concluded that “the totally unexplained and lengthy delay would trump by a substantial margin the countervailing factors relied on by Mr. Dale and in particular the alleged absence of prejudice which would be suffered by the Claimant if the appeal was allowed.
                          In summary, the new regime will make it even harder for Defendants to succeed in applications to set aside default judgment. The real emphasis must be on avoiding default judgment being entered at all, but if this does arise, no matter what the merits of the prospective Defence (as here where the First Defendant had a potentially strong defence to the claim), Defendants must make sure their applications to set aside are made promptly. Even then, the court may not entertain such an application unless the default was trivial in nature.

Comment

Well applied for Council Tax rebate yesterday will know result in couple of weeks - man stated should not need to pay any as wife not working and no income.

Pension credit state should be able to claim part one then transferred to to part two department - who wanted to know how many times I wipe my Axx, and I needed to show all the receipts from the sale of the house and purchase this home, and where the balances have gone with proof. Also show the savings what was left (fair enough on that front) but receipts for all the remaining spend on New Bathroom (old one I would not wash a pig in it the state was awful) and new kitchen ( old one falling to pieces and rotted in places, and wanted to see all receipts for incidentals/holiday/fees/charges CCJ payment/where balances was spent etc.

I said enough is enough that is out of order to demand so much info, are you trying to call me a liar? and I then told the man that is it, you tax my little pensions, then expect me to account for every farthing of the move and expenditure for the possible sake of £20.00 per week if I was lucky, then forget it as I will have to think if I will go about hunting every receipt for such a small amount which may only be claimed for a few months.

So as long as I get the Council Tax rebate that is it.

Told him if I was not honest then I would be better off without the inquasititon, (his problem was - last night I came across a 35 year old with family and on benifits and never worked in his life, but was critising the amount of benifits he was getting, with a Pint in his hand and 2 packets of cigarrets next to him, and telling another hardworking guy that he was a fool to work all his life and get nothing. UURRGGGGGGgggggggggg
                            Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 14 March 2014, 12:12.

Comment

Had two phone calls from witheld number (foreign call centre by the sound of it) saying registered my windows 8 and there are problems with the internet use? can I get to the computer and they will inform me what to do? Note:- this is a new laptop with windows 8 64bit system purchased 2 months ago, and windows 8 was downloaded by PC World. anyb ody come across this they say they are Microsoft? calling again next Tuesday/

Comment

Had two phone calls from witheld number (foreign call centre by the sound of it) saying registered my windows 8 and there are problems with the internet use? can I get to the computer and they will inform me what to do? Note:- this is a new laptop with windows 8 64bit system purchased 2 months ago, and windows 8 was downloaded by PC World. anyb ody come across this they say they are Microsoft? calling again next Tuesday/
                                Hrmmmmm if you purchased from PC world, call them and check....

sounds dodgy to me!!!
                                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X