GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Regal Credit Consultants - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regal Credit Consultants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regal Credit Consultants

Good evening all

My son received a phone call this evening at 7pm from this company out of the blue. They say he owes £250 for a cancelled gym contract. He had signed a gym contract in May on the proviso that he could possibly cancel this as he may have to move home. This was agreed with the gym and he was told as long as he cancelled in writing then this would be ok. He cancelled in August in writing.

He heard nothing more until tonight's phone call which took him by surprise. The advisor informed him of the debt and when he questioned this and explained this was the first he'd heard of any money owing, and would not be paying without further investigation of the situation. The advisor then threatened that they could "send people around" He heard muffled sniggers from someone else obviously a colleague, she then hung up the phone.

My son was of course upset with this and rang back to speak to a senior member of staff. I heard the conversation and this advisor was both condescending and rude. My son who I must say handled the situation in a calm and dignified manner( think this riled the advisor) asked why it was necessary for the previous advisor to threaten to send round "people" to collect this money when this was the first he knew of it. He was told he was just being given the full facts of what could happen.

He was told they had tried to ring him and had written to him several times. My son asked when these phone calls were made as during the week his phone is off as he is a teacher. The advisor rudely said "well you teachers finish at 3pm don't you" My son answered that his working hours were his business. The advisor accused him of being hostile! My son remained extremely calm throughout ( unlike I would have been) Explaining that in no way wax he being hostile and if it appeared that way then he apologised. He asked how many letters they had written to him as he had his mail redirected and had not received any, apparently there was only one letter sent in August. So all in all several attempts to contact him was actually 1 phone call and 1 letter.

The advisor then said he would give my son 3 working days to respond....

My son will speak to the gym in question but what else should he be doing? I have advised him to not enter into any further conversations via telephone.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Regal Credit Consultants

Well firstly, as you know, if anyone comes round, tell them to F off. secondly, no baliffs will be round until a CCJ has been defaulted on, long way off that yet!.

unfortunatly, with most gym memberships, a notice period is required to cancel the contract, some are 3 to 6 months, whoever your son spoke to, may well have just verbally agreed a cancellation policy that doesnt exist. Did your son sign a contract? what does the cancelation period say? has he got proof the letter cancelling the membership was sent, i.e proof of postage, recorded delivery receipt? has the Gym admitted to receiving the letter?

What is the £250? is it for x amount of months after he cancelled and when they terminated the contract, or is it the notice period that should be stated in the contract he signed? i.e 3 to 6 months worth of membership cost from the date the notice to cancel was received.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The OFT can now get involved -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21712728
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the reply SXGuy and NID

As I guessed, my son has no written confirmation of this agreement it was apparently verbal, nor does he have proof he sent the letter of cancelation. This I guess would mean he has to pay for the remainder of the contract...perhaps he will learn a valuable lesson himself. Everything in writing and keep copies.

He will ring the gym after school today to find out more. Does this phone call last night mean the gym have passed the debt to Regal credit consultants and my son will need to correspond with them and indeed pay them the money? If this is so how best should he make the payment? Should he be asking first for a breakdown of the amount owing?

I am am really angry that there has been no correspondence from the gym at all and this company have admitted they have only attempted to make contact with him on two occasions. One phone call and one letter which my son has never received. He has received plenty other redirected mail but nothing from these people or the gym. They make a call at 7pm and threaten to send people around to my home if he doesn't immediately pay.

Thanks

Comment

All sorted

My son contacted the gym in question and spoke to customer services to complain about the handling of the case. They apologised and said they will contact Regal themselves to wipe it clean. Happy ending

Comment

Working...
          X