GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script council tax payments over 10 or 12 months - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

council tax payments over 10 or 12 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax payments over 10 or 12 months

Hi

I'm trying to find out if the making of council tax payments over a period of 12 months instead of 10 is still available only at the LA's discretion.

i thought legislation had changed and that it was now the council tax payer that could demand this right?

have i misunderstood?

Re: council tax payments over 10 or 12 months

As far as I'm aware you can ask to pay over 12 months but I think some councils don't like the fact that you can and so don't "advertise" it. I'm not sure if there's a deadline when you have to inform them that you want to pay over 12 months (and why wouldn't you because there isn't a "premium" for paying in 12 instalments )

I paid over 12 months last year and, when my bill came for this year, it gave 12 instalments automatically.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Pixie

the reason i was checking was because i notified the council in March that i wanted to pay over 12 months, well in time, as i understand that you need to notify the LA before the 15 of April. However they seem to have ignored this and come back to me with 10 month figure!!!

i have been trying to find the legislation to quote to them in my response so that i can demand my right to a 12 month payment programme - but I'm not sure if i have the right or if the final decision to allow 12 monthly payments lies with them:-(

Comment

It used to be over 10 months purely as the system couldn't divide into 12 lol. Funny.

However to to pay over 12 - you need to request it. Just call local taxation and say "you've sent a bill over 10 months and I've repeatedly asked for it to be over 12 months. Can you please arrange this and send me a revised bill"

they will do it. Trust me. If not let me know

See this ->> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-overhaul.html
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Niddy

Thank you for the information. Do you know if the 12 monthly payments can include council tax arrears for the previous year. It is galling but the arrears are entirely down costs and fees from this last financial year. The actual council tax charge for last year has been paid up! you have to be so quick when dealing with the council tax department they waste no time in taking legal(?) action - they tell you not to attend the hearing, but if you attend, its the council tax officers that are hearing the case, so you can't put your side or proposals to resolve to a judge.

very frustrating. It reminds me of how BT staff used to treat and talk to customers when they had the monopoly. Hopefully with BT at least, things are better now.

Comment

Have a read of this
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes you can pay over several years (especially if affordability is an issue). In future try not let it get to liability order stage. If anything ring your taxation dept and explain you're skint etc. they have a duty to help and CAN write a chunk off if they choose to.

Maybe a letter explaining the arrears are 100% charges may help. As its not part of your CT bill they'd need to take civil action to recover it. The arrears shouldn't be added to a liability order. A LO is generally for the bill itself (arrears). Not charges applied.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by realfedup View Post
                i notified the council in March that i wanted to pay over 12 months, well in time, as i understand that you need to notify the LA before the 15 of April. However they seem to have ignored this and come back to me with 10 month figure!!!
                Has your Local Authority agreed to let you pay your council over 12 months or are you still battling them?

Plan B x

Comment

Hi Plan B

my LA have ignored my right to pay over a 12 month period, have ignored my letters all sent by recorded delivery about the matter and have issued summons regardless!!!

i split the amount outstanding into 12, notified them and haven't missed any of the 1/12th payments to date, so i cannot understand their determination, unless its more about the extra money they can pocket from the cost of the action(?)

i understand my LA is one of the ones where if you attend you do not get to see a magistrate, and it's all done by council officers. Their paperwork state that i need NOT attend unless i dispute the amount - but its not the amount i am disputing at this point, its my right to pay over 12 months, but i understand from reading up on this the Magistrate would not be interested in this point anyway as they do not get involved with agreements(?)

if they get the Liability Order i was thinking of approaching the ombudsman or judicial review.

in the meantime i have made an official complaint to the CEO of my LA and my MP.

Any advice you can give ?

RFU

Comment

council tax payments over 10 or 12 months

Hi AAD Team

i've lost my council tax thread - wish i could do the same with the actual council tax as well

anyway, i have another question in relation to council tax liability orders. once a liability order is in place is it possible to have it revoked/not acted upon in that no costs are incurred? if this were the case, would be at the council's discretion?
                    Last edited by realfedup; 30 June 2015, 18:08. Reason: placed on someone else's thread when meant to start a new thread

Comment

if they get the Liability Order i was thinking of approaching the ombudsman or judicial review.

in the meantime i have made an official complaint to the CEO of my LA
                      Why wait for the Liability Order before referring your complaint to the LG Ombudsman. You've already made a complaint to the council so it's time to crank things up a little:

http://www.lgo.org.uk/making-a-compl...w-to-complain/

Plan B x

Comment

Hi PlanB

LG Ombudsman it is then.

deep breath RFU-use the fear positively.

Comment

LG Ombudsman it is then.

deep breath RFU-use the fear positively.
                          Nothing to fear. We'll help you.

Wait to see what others who know more about council tax legislation post. It's not one of my knowledge areas.

Plan B x

Comment

Hi AAD Team

i've lost my council tax thread - wish i could do the same with the actual council tax as well

anyway, i have another question in relation to council tax liability orders. once a liability order is in place is it possible to have it revoked/not acted upon in that no costs are incurred? if this were the case, would be at the council's discretion?
                            I've moved this post to your thread RFU and see you have found your council tax thread

Best wishes
                            IF
                            "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Have you been given a date for the Magistrates' Court hearing?

I think you need to nip this in the bud so it doesn't escalate into the whole bailiff experience thing.

Plan B x

Comment

Working...
                              X