GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How do I change my Name? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I change my Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I change my Name?

How do I change my Name?

This guide is to provide help and assistance to allow you to change your name, by yourself, at a cost of around £5-£10. Basically, the main principle of a name change is the actual Deed Poll which is the formal written acknowledgement made by you confirming that you intend to change your name. Therefore, to save exuberant legal costs this DIY guide will pretty much do the whole thing for you - just print the finished document onto watermarked paper, take it to your local solicitor with some ID (Passport) and ask them to witness it - the fee for this is around £5-£10 (dependant upon location).

You can legally and officially change any part or all of your name. You can change your forenames, surname (or both), add names, remove names, change the spelling of your names or rearrange your existing names. A Deed Poll is a legal document - not a certificate. It is a form of legal contract but it differs from legal contracts between two or more parties in that it only concerns one person (and it is only signed by that person in the presence of a witness). A Deed Poll legally binds the person who signs it to a particular course of action as detailed on the Deed Poll document.

Although Deed Poll documents are used for various purposes relating to an individual or a company legally committing themselves to doing something, they have one generally accepted meaning, that is, a change of name. However, the correct legal name for a deed that has been drawn up to change someone's name is a Deed of Change of Name (but more commonly known as a Deed Poll). A Deed Poll for a change of name contains three declarations and by executing the Deed Poll (signing, dating and having your signing witnessed) you are legally committing yourself to:
    • Abandoning the use of your former name;
    • Using your new name only at all times;
    • Requiring all persons to address you by your new name only.

In summary, a Deed Poll will provide you with documentary evidence that you have changed your name, enabling you to get all your official documents and records changed to your new name. Although a Deed Poll is an English legal document, the following format of Deed will be recognised by all government departments, companies and organisations throughout the United Kingdom and by all British Embassies and High Commissions around the world.
    Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 5 February 2011, 22:25.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Change of Deed Poll Examples

Change of Surname Deed Poll

The Deed Poll, for a change of SURNAME only, in line with the three declarations above is as follows:

1. BY THIS DEED of Change of Name I ENTER OLD NAME of ENTER FULL POSTAL ADDRESS wholly renounce, relinquish and abandon the use of the former surname of ENTER OLD SURNAME and in place thereof do assume as from the date hereof the surname ENTER NEW SURNAME so that I may hereafter be called, known and distinguished not by my former surname of ENTER OLD SURNAME but by my assumed surname of ENTER NEW SURNAME.

2. I declare that I shall at all times hereafter in all records, deeds and writings in all proceedings, dealings and transactions as well as private as public and upon all occasions whatsoever and wheresoever use and sign the said surname of ENTER NEW SURNAME in place of and in substitution of my forumer surname of ENTER OLD SURNAME.

3. I expressly authorise and request all persons at all times hereafter to designate and address me by such surname of ENTER NEW SURNAME accordingly.

.................. ..........................
    Signed as a Deed by the said ENTER FULL NAME this ............ day of ................ 2011.

In the presence of:
    Change of Forename Deed Poll

The Deed Poll, for a change of FORENAME only, in line with the three declarations above is as follows:

1. BY THIS DEED of Change of Name I ENTER OLD NAME of ENTER FULL POSTAL ADDRESS wholly renounce, relinquish and abandon the use of the former forename of ENTER OLD FORENAME and in place thereof do assume as from the date hereof the forename ENTER NEW FORENAME so that I may hereafter be called, known and distinguished not by my former forename of ENTER OLD FORENAME but by my assumed name of ENTER NEW FULL NAME .

2. I declare that I shall at all times hereafter in all records, deeds and writings in all proceedings, dealings and transactions as well as private as public and upon all occasions whatsoever and wheresoever use and sign the said forename of ENTER NEW FORENAME in place of and in substitution of my forumer forename of ENTER OLD FORENAME.

3. I expressly authorise and request all persons at all times hereafter to designate and address me by such forename of ENTER NEW FORENAME accordingly.

Signed as a Deed by the said ENTER FULL NAME this ............ day of ................ 2011.

In the presence of:
    Above, where it reads:

The first part of dots is where you sign, followed by the your written name so where it says "signed as a deed" there should be dots above this to allow a signature, and next to it where you see "said ENTER FULL NAME", this is where you write your name.... example would be Niddy - Never-in-Doubt
    Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 5 February 2011, 22:47.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Final Steps

Final Steps...

Once you have copied the above and edited them to suit, you should then get some heavy paper (known as gsm), such as this here: ---> http://www.paperstone.co.uk/cat_2508...red-Paper.aspx

Then copy the Deed Poll text onto it, lay it out as Arial font size 11, print and take as many copies as you want witnessing to a local solicitor with your Passport. The solicitor will complete the bottom part (signed in the presence of...)

That's it! Easy as 1...2....3
      Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 5 February 2011, 22:44.

Comment

Working...
      X