GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Failure to Tax Vehicle - No SORN - DVLA Fine - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failure to Tax Vehicle - No SORN - DVLA Fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to Tax Vehicle - No SORN - DVLA Fine

Hi

Not my area of expertise - however long and short of it; I sold a car in September 2014 and sent the relevant part of the V5 to DVLA - today I received a letter saying I have been fined for failing to notify them of tax / SORN. The fine is £40 if paid immediately or £80 if not. I did send it and Peck v DVLA covers my stance..... Why should I pay the fine?

Sod that. Not Niddy

I am going to write back and hit them with the old Peck v DVLA / DVLA v Collins which should cover me. Should is the key word - does anyone have any knowledge of more recent case-law problems that I may encounter if I try and use these arguments?

For clarity, In one case, the DVLA was seeking a judgement against James Collins on the grounds that he had failed to notify it when took his vehicle off the road (SORN). However, Mr Collins had indeed notified them and in fact, it was the DVLA who had dropped a bollock by losing his details. The judge agreed that it wasn’t Mr Collins’ fault and he shouldn’t have to stump up the cash to send correspondence by recorded delivery or any proof of posting for that matter.

If that was the case, and us plebs had to send everything by secure means, then the same would need to be required of any organisation we dealt with and, of course, they wouldn’t want that as their postage costs would go through the roof.

In another similar case, Duncan Peck had a row with the DVLA over lost paperwork. The DVLA tried it on and said that Mr Peck should’ve rung them if he didn’t receive any acknowledgement from them. Once again, the judge in question sided with the public saying that the DVLA have no statutory power requiring anyone to ring them.

see here --> http://www.bitterwallet.com/dvla-act...u-for-it/29151 & here --> http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...hange+of+Owner

Thought guys?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Re: Failure to Tax Vehicle - No SORN - DVLA Fine

Not my area of expertise either. Sorry.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If you sold the car in 2014, did you sell it with tax or SORN in force until at least Sepember 30th? Or are they asking you for the tax due since then?

If sold with SORN the V5 would have cancelled it. If you passed remaining tax to buyer, do you have receipt, advert etc saying "taxed until". If you have reclaimed the remaining tax you would have received the credit from DVLA.

From 1st October, the new law means the seller cannot pass on tax, the buyer must register. Thereby DVLA gets paid twice for any month where a car is sold anytime except midnight on last day month.

Comment

Do you have proof of postage, he he, my bad. You know that with that the mail is deemed to have been delivered? Usually?. DVLA are a bunch of incompetent losers, lol. They make a nice earner of selling your data for a couple of quid to anybody who wants it though. Parking companies especially.

Comment

Don't need proof of postage. The interpretation Act covers that as does Peck v DVLA

We Sold the car with a disk valid till 30/09/14. They're saying I didn't notify them of sale and new owner hasn't taxed it since March (so they did buy a 6 month stamp). Or maybe we sold it with tax till March. Can't recall.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I have had it happen once. I simply wrote back stating that I had sold the vehicle on X date, and returned the forms to them (I photocopied the V5).

I didn't hear anything else back. (was about three years ago - maybe longer)
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I didn't copy it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                I didn't copy it though.
                No comment

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                  No comment
                  I didn't need to. Why would you? Nobody copies anything nowadays.

A bloke came to house and bought car. I tore bottom bit of v5 and then posted it the following day. There isn't an onus for me to do anything other than post it. That's what I'm asking. Am I reading it right? Is that the correct way to look at it or do I just pay £40.....

Comment

I still copy everything!

Have you posted your question on the site that we recommend for fighting parking tickets (sorry I can't remember the name) It's http://www.pepipoo.com.

i questioned it a few years back without any legal arguments/precedents and ended up paying the fine.
                    Last edited by cymruambyth; 25 April 2015, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                      I still copy everything!

Have you posted your question on the site that we recommend for fighting parking tickets (sorry I can't remember the name) It's http://www.pepipoo.com.

i questioned it a few years back without any legal arguments/precedents and ended up paying the fine.

That is a site people mention for ideas!

seems a lot cases go to court and just before within minutes) DVLA rep talks to you and ask questions, did you send it? some answered Yes = being that the DVLA being an executive Agency of the secretary of state therefore legislation applied and conformed, there is no legislation regarding sending Recorded delivery etc!

and case then dropped but suggest look at above mentioned site:-??? will look out for more info PDQ on this area of concern!

Comment

Thanks guys.

I don't post elsewhere so won't join PepiPoo.

Comment

Just had a look on it needs a lot of Navigating - mostly speeding offences -

Comment

Look at this, dvla really are incompetent. They were adjudged to be 'unfit for purpose' iirc.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+up+by+dvla%21

I always photocopy my dealings with them especially when I sent my aging D/L to them for alterations. Often they come back with 'entitlements' missing. Mine cme back with a handsome photograph on it, lol. I've no idea who he was

Comment

I always photocopy/scan anything I send away.

I don't know what's best for you to do Niddy.
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                              X