GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Internet connection problems.... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internet connection problems....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet connection problems....

Hi all,

I've been having trouble maintaining an internet connection for some time, need to do something about it but don't know where to start. I've listed the problems as follows:

a) Internet sometimes drops, says it's connected but network is unavailable. To get round this, I have to re-set the router each time.

b) It doesn't like more than one device connected at a time and one of us will struggle to get online; sometimes knocking the other person offline.... which doesn't go down well. Sometimes one of us will get a message saying that someone else is on the network and sometimes not.

c) Impossible to watch Netflix films, etc. as the connection drops part-way through the film.

So.... do I:

Change my ISP? I'm with AOL and have been for years but have been considering Sky....
    Get a new router? I've had the same Netgear router for years.
    Upgrade to something I obviously haven't got?
    Chuck it all through the window?

When using the work laptop (MAC), I seem to have far fewer problems but this could be coincidence, as the internet still doesn't like having more than one laptop connected at once and connection will cut out eventually.

Frustrated.com....
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Internet connection problems....

I had the exact same problem.

Am with Virgin. Did the silly thing and just accepted the bad service getting knocked off regularly. Eventually spoke to Virgin who said the router was old and was probably the problem. Had it 6 years.

They sent a new hub out problem cured never been dropped since and can run as many computers as I want now.

Just my experience of something that sounds very similar.

Comment

AOL are now Carphone Warehouse, so personally, I would jump ship AND get new gear all at once.

With Sky here and minimal issues.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I had the same problem until BT sent me a new hub (free) and now everything is fine and dandy. It's sometimes a little bit slower than normal at peak times like the Boxing Day online sales.

Comment

As said, new ISP and new router/modem should = no more problem.

Comment

Brilliant!! Thanks folks....
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

I don't know what the AOL servers are like but I know that Virgin Media have a lot of problems with their DNS servers. (For those who haven't had to research such problems, that's the bit that 'translates' the name we put into our browsers into the sets of numbers, or IP address, of the actual page.)

I recently helped a neighbour out by taking him off the (under-resourced and universally disliked) Virgin DNS and sending his connection via Google's DNS. His status was reporting as connected to the internet but he was unable to reach any web pages, or they just dropped off. Simply changing DNS settings sorted it out within minutes (and a reboot) .You could equally try the settings for OpenDNS.

Obviously, this won't help with the issue regarding the number of connected devices but your connectivity problems may have more than one cause!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpet View Post
                I don't know what the AOL servers are like but I know that Virgin Media have a lot of problems with their DNS servers. (For those who haven't had to research such problems, that's the bit that 'translates' the name we put into our browsers into the sets of numbers, or IP address, of the actual page.)

I recently helped a neighbour out by taking him off the (under-resourced and universally disliked) Virgin DNS and sending his connection via Google's DNS. His status was reporting as connected to the internet but he was unable to reach any web pages, or they just dropped off. Simply changing DNS settings sorted it out within minutes (and a reboot) .You could equally try the settings for OpenDNS.

Obviously, this won't help with the issue regarding the number of connected devices but your connectivity problems may have more than one cause!
                Thanks Trumpet,

I don't remember having a problem years ago when using a single laptop but it definitely doesn't like two using the internet at the same time; sometimes saying there's an IP address conflict and sometimes just dropping without saying anything. I have no idea how to change DNS settings though.... Do you have an idiot's guide?
                Remember the mantra:

Comment

It really depends on what equipment you're using but it's not all that difficult. There is a fairly good guide here: https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

If you're having an IP address conflict within your own set up it sounds as if either there's not a wide enough range of IPs or that they're set to static and all trying to use the same one.

As has been suggested, new hardware should solve that for you as most of the new stuff comes with enough range to cover a multitude of devices and they usually get released and re-used as you add or disconnect the relevant item.

Comment

Personally you shouldnt have to add any DNS settings. You should allow your router to obtain settings automatically.

The first thing id do is ask AOL to send a new router. If that doesnt work, look up how to change broadcast channels, there may be a conflict there.

Comment

Probably true to say you 'shouldn't have to' - but try Googling "Virgin Media DNS problems"...

Comment

AOL are sending me a new router!

I have also fiddled about and set this laptop to the Home Group, as this kept being flagged up as an issue. Not really sure what I've done but after spending half an hour trying to get a connection this morning, it now works like a dream.

Google Chrome was also using too much memory, as I'm back on Internet Explorer whatever number it is for now and may remove Google Chrome this evening for being a pain in the ass.
                        Remember the mantra:

Comment

Spoke too soon.... The laptop works fine but the iPad cannot detect the wireless network.

Waaaaaaah!!
                          Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                          X