Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus?

Hi all,

My laptop has suddenly decided that I am not running a genuine copy of Windows! I've had the blasted thing for about 4 years and Windows was pre-installed, so I have absolutely no idea what it's on about. I've scanned it and nothing flags up.... but it won't let me do a System Restore.

Any ideas?
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Virus?

yep, common virus, minics the windows genuine software popup notice, makes you download other nastys. ill find a fix for you hold on...

EDIT: just on the offchance its not a virus and just an error follow these steps. Start from step 2

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Window...-Notifications

Try this to remove if its a virus

http://virusremoval-expert.blogspot....wga-virus.html
    Last edited by SXGuy; 17 February 2014, 18:25.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

OMG..... sounds like a nasty little b*stard!

I've got AVG and Spybot so not sure how it got on here....
      Remember the mantra:

Comment

Trying to remove it now.... Thanks SX
        Remember the mantra:

Comment

ok cool, if you have no luck let me know.

Comment

Ran the Malicious Software Removal Tool last night instead SX, as I can't seem to be able to go into Admin. mode to carry out what you suggested. Nothing was found on the system with this tool.... but something is definitely up because my desktop is black. The icons still show but the rest is black.

What might happen if I'm not in Admin. mode?
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

if your not in admin mode you wont have access rights.

Try rebooting and pressing F8 when the system loads, It will give you a boot screen. Select Safe Mode. When the PC loads, You should see an Administrater Account to log in with.

Comment

Aaaargh! The poxy thing has crashed!! Nothing to do with your link SX.... either the virus got a hold before I did or, the internal battery is just knackered. It's on an insurance policy, so I'll have to drop it off in the morning. Thanks for your help anyway... I'll let you know what happens.
                Remember the mantra:

Comment

Hope the problem isn't as serious as you think P1
                  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Have you tried an online Virus scan - such as House Call? As the definitions are not installed on the computer, any virus cannot detect them - which as you say may have happened when you tried to run the removal tool.

Comment

Thanks everyone.... the laptop booted up fine this morning after all that.... maybe the plug was loose or something.

I got into admin. mode but can't find WGA tray anywhere....I've tried to do a System Restore but it fails, even in Safe Mode... and nothing has been picked up by AVG or Spybot either. I've just run House Call as well Oscar.... and nothing!

Weird.... think I need to go to Curry's for some answers... lol!
                      Last edited by PriorityOne; 19 February 2014, 23:20.
                      Remember the mantra:

Comment

I do know of a Windows Genuine Advantage Crack which will make your copy think its legit, but don't really want to give you that just yet, because theres obviously another issue because it is already legit.

Comment

Thanks SX.... Windows was pre-installed when I bought the laptop. As it's the only laptop we have until I go back to work and get my Mac back though, I'm going to try and leave it until then before taking it Curry's. I've got an iPad, so can still access the internet but I can't be without a laptop.
                          Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                          X