Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browsers

Just a quickie
    I have three different browsers on my laptop, IE9 Firefox17.0.1 and Chrome.

I have Chrome set as my default but I although I like it I have found one or two sites refuse to load, for instance when doing a search on the OFT public register.
    I am trying to sync all my devices with google drive etc , hence using chrome

I like firefox but for some reason have the american dictionary on it and can not find how to change to English

Any thoughts?

Re: Browsers

OFT (and webcheck for companies) only work on IE mate. You'll find a lot of Oracle based loaders needs IE.

I have the same as you (plus Safari to test view on iPhone of sites we build) and also use Chrome as default. To be fair, it's user preference but some features remember will always need IE such as those mentioned.

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
      I like firefox but for some reason have the american dictionary on it and can not find how to change to English
      How do I add Dictionaries? | Firefox Help
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Niddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          OFT (and webcheck for companies) only work on IE mate. You'll find a lot of Oracle based loaders needs IE.

I have the same as you (plus Safari to test view on iPhone of sites we build) and also use Chrome as default. To be fair, it's user preference but some features remember will always need IE such as those mentioned.

Webcheck works perfectly with SRWare Iron niddy, Chrome based browser, even the government gateway works too.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
            Webcheck works perfectly with SRWare Iron niddy, Chrome based browser, even the government gateway works too.
            Excellent - thanks for this.

some of the opensource ones (like this, based on Chromium) do allow greater functionability but I'd be a fool to suggest someone install a third party opensource software in favour of a leader such as Chrome. Hence, certain things will only work on IE (unless you do use opensource software)....

It's always user optional of course. I prefer coding in Chrome but use IE to add IF features to avoid IE compatibility modes.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Excellent - thanks for this.

some of the opensource ones (like this, based on Chromium) do allow greater functionability but I'd be a fool to suggest someone install a third party opensource software in favour of a leader such as Chrome. Hence, certain things will only work on IE (unless you do use opensource software)....

It's always user optional of course. I prefer coding in Chrome but use IE to add IF features to avoid IE compatibility modes.
              I agree, not to everyone's taste and a novice could come completely unstuck with it if they started playing around with it, I must admit I do prefer this to the other browsers and its quick - silent too

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                its quick - silent too
                silent...? All browsers are silent

Comment

I presume he means that removes all the privacy issues that some people have withe Chrome?

Comparism of Iron and Chrome at privacy
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Exactly what I mean rizzle, I should have made it clear, I know you can configure FF to do the same but this just works nicely.

Comment

Thanks for the mention of SRWare Iron. I'd never even heard of it an hour ago, but I've just added it to my new Linux Mint 13 installation. The combination seems much faster than anything I've used so far.

Firefox is always going to be my browser of choice when I'm browsing crappy ad-ridden sites such as feeBay (because of Ad Block), or doing research browsing where there are many sites that have auto-play audio on them (anyone who does that should be gassed) which another Firefox add-on cuts out.

This could be useful for using on trusted sites such as this one, though.

SH

Comment

Any add on or extension that works on Chrome will work on SRWare Iron, I have quite a few addons, I have used Iron since the very early days of it being available, FF was always my preferred choice but I rarely use it now.

Comment

Working...
                        X