GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Santa brought me spyware.passwords.xgen - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa brought me spyware.passwords.xgen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa brought me spyware.passwords.xgen

I had to spend much of yesterday decontaminating my pc

I had noticed that safari was getting really glitchy/slow and I was constantly having to re input my login details.

On a hunch yesterday I ran malwarebytes and it brought up 2 infections with spyware.passwords.xgen

Deleted those and ran an Avast scan at bootup and that found and killed a couple of other trojans too.

Looking into it I found a good thread on bleepingcomputer.com and ran their temp file cleaner OK.
    However when I tried to get back on there to do the next step the page wouldn't load all day...I read somewhere that xgen blocks access to help sites..is this possible/correct? It loads OK today

I've change all my banking passwords (in the safezone browser in Avast)

Is there anything else I should do?

Re: Santa brought me spyware.passwords.xgen

Well, obvious I know, but I presume you've tried to work out how such nasties got on there in the first place?

May be next to impossible if you are on a shared/family computer etc, or if it's snuck on due to some vulnerability in a browser/software that you couldn't be expected to protect against.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

My OH uses it too, and goes hunting for music videos etc. Only vaguely naughty sites I've been on recently are a google search for hide my ass type sites.
      I've drummed into him not to click on stuff without checking.
      Now I've got back on bleeping computers I'm going through the other steps..currently in safe mode with networking running the Superantispyware scan.
      Still running but so far it's brought up 100+ adwares and a registry entry for PUP.bProtector so I'm just researching that..

I also deleted all old System restore points just in case anything's lurking there.

Comment

I managed to download a trojan when using photobucket, it's so frustrating the amount of time wasted on removing them, I ended up using a cleaner and then resetting, so far it seems clear.

Comment

So true..after days of faffing I usually end up going completely OTT and reinstalling Windows, but I think I've caught this

Going to rescan everything again tomorrow just to be sure

Comment

my god elsa didnt know you spoke martian!!!
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Another point would be to use an online AV scanner, such as Panda Active scan or HouseCall. As the software is not on the PC, any virus Trojan etc cant hide from it or bypass it - so they can pick up things your installed AV doesnt always see.

Plus its good as a double check.

Comment

Good point Oscar...I'll try that thanks.
                While I'm at it going to blow out the processor etc with compressed air. The dog creates a lot of dust and when it builds up the pc goes a bit haywire

my god elsa didnt know you spoke martian!!!
                No Nanna..men are from Mars...I speak Venusian

Comment

are you using windows 7?
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Yep

Comment

then download this, run it and problem solved!

--> Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

It finds most things and because windows support it, all the latest virus/spyware etc are updated and included.

No need to download any other spyware or antivirus so long as you ONLY use essentials....

We've been here before, I remember telling someone else this lol

* it found 4 virus I had the other day and wiped them in seconds. It's so easy to use, so long as you keep up to date or allow auto updates
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

^^^ it's free

Comment

I've got that on my spare PC, I really like it, but if I put that on my main one I'd have to find something to replace my Avast Safe Zone (a completely isolated desktop for banking etc).
                          Sadly I've not always used that which is why I was so worried that my bank/paypal etc login details were compromised..

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                            then download this, run it and problem solved!

--> Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

It finds most things and because windows support it, all the latest virus/spyware etc are updated and included.

No need to download any other spyware or antivirus so long as you ONLY use essentials....

We've been here before, I remember telling someone else this lol

* it found 4 virus I had the other day and wiped them in seconds. It's so easy to use, so long as you keep up to date or allow auto updates
                            Yup was me, never had any issues since.

Comment

If you ever get a persistent virus or Trojan that seems to reappear or simply won't go away then use RKill and ComboFix. These are both free and as yet have never failed to cure a an infected computer.

RKill will terminate malware processes that can prevent AV software from running or cleaning correctly. It's very useful if you get a persistent virus

ComboFix This will scan your PC and remove almost everything malicious. I have yet to have it miss something and it creates a report upon completion which gives useful info.

Well worth using on nasty infections especially MBR/Rootkit type attacks.
                              Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X