GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Santa brought me spyware.passwords.xgen - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa brought me spyware.passwords.xgen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Santa brought me spyware.passwords.xgen

Is it worth running these even if you do not appear to have an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
      Is it worth running these even if you do not appear to have an issue?
      Yes mate because sometimes you have hidden registry entries that can cause havoc without your knowledge. It certainly won't do any harm BUT you must disable any AV scanner prior to running Combofix because it can give spurious results. It will usually turn off AV products but just in case I advice temporarily suspending them.

RKill is only needed if you cannot run an AV scanner locally or if a virus/Trojan is preventing internet access.
      Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

My Safari has been playing up over the Easter holidays but am assuming that once it connects into the main system at work, then it'll be fine again. As it's a work laptop I'm not permitted to download any anti-virus stuff but was told by one of the techie guys that Mac's don't get viruses.

Hmmmm. Seems a tad optimistic to me....
        Remember the mantra:
        NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
        Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
        Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
          My Safari has been playing up over the Easter holidays but am assuming that once it connects into the main system at work, then it'll be fine again. As it's a work laptop I'm not permitted to download any anti-virus stuff but was told by one of the techie guys that Mac's don't get viruses.

Hmmmm. Seems a tad optimistic to me....
          The MAC can get a virus but they are quite rare when compared to Windows PCs. The virus needs permission from the system Kernel to run its code and replicate. In Windows this is easy because the kernel can easily be tricked into think the code is legitimate. The MAC uses a Kernel based on a UNIX kernel which is much more secure and robust.

So while a MAC can suffer from a malicious piece of code it is rare. The other reason is that Windows is so widespread it makes it an easy target, plus a lot of people hate Microsoft software which makes it the main target.
          Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X